Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 3:29pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright, I'm currently downloading the videos. So far, I've seen the 1st clip with 20 seconds of humping Yogi while wearing boxing gloves. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 3:36pm

Style: shido/ streetfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok i'm up for the truth. thats how i improve (plus i know a lot of things i did wrong, but i want to hear in from another person). by the way did i see one of you guys at the co-op markets here in hyde park. i saw some white guy that looked me dead in the eye liked he knew me or something. he did look like a throwdown guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 3:37pm

Style: shido/ streetfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and where is my link?

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In your PM box.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 4:42pm

Style: Tai-Chi, Judo, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, next time more lube, ok Steve?

;-)

What did you think of the rest of the clips? I got a couple of moments of real fu! But damn you keep nailing me good-and-proper. We gotta try this without you in boxing gloves next time - you've got plenty of control, and now that I'm warming back up again (remember that was my second sparring round in six years, and probably my fifth or six in a decade) I'm going to want to do some stuff which will put you at distinct disadvantages if you're in gloves (like, you know, the hook-the-wrist-and-follow-the-punch-back-in stuff from Tai Chi). With lighter gloves it won't be quite so easy...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, do you think I should change my username to "Fat Tai Chi Guy"? I know it's gonna come up when the clips go general release, and we may as well git it over with, right????

(laughs, hard, looks, sheepish)

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 5:33pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm more than game to wear 4oz if I can borrow someone's pair next month. However, I'd prefer if you had some sort of head protection beyond a mouthguard. I'll still keep it light unless you want me to open up more.

I liked the clips. As I said before, there were a couple times you got me backed up and used "sticky hands(?)" to get my guard down. Sifu showed me some techniques to keep from backing up so much, so hopefully, next time won't be a problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2004 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    <grin>

*head*protection* good god. Yeah, it makes sense, it's just super-super-super foreign. I've never, ever worn it, even when I was doing karate as a kid. I dunno how familiar you are with soft martial arts culture, but you'll see us usually basically fight to an opening, then just *place* the hand which would do the damage on the surface to be broken, because (with a few exceptions like the slaps) the force isn't really driven into the body until after skin contact is made. It's very safe because of the way the styles work. Totally inapplicable to styles where the blow is accelerated and then crashes into the body!

I guess padding really is the way to go in that scenario, eh???

Sticking hands is really where-it's-at in a lot of the internal arts. I dunno if you were watching Matt and I doing the internal round, but a lot of that was very very much the rolling-for-position stuff. The basic notion is that if you can consistently beat somebody at that level, the within the internal arts context, you have them nailed in an actual fight. You can peel their guard open, get inside their blows and slide an attack up an attacking limb, all kinds of crazy stuff. Works better if you're in your 80s and have a long white beard, though, and I'm not fat enough to really make it work ;-)

You oughtta get one of the mat monsters to show you some breakfalls and stuff too if you don't already know them. I ain't going to be dragging you onto the mat unless you want to go there but I remembered the standard tai chi defence against big kicks:

http://www.energyarts.com/hires/taichi/index.html - click on the "Martial Arts" sub page.

Just wait for the animated gif to load. I knew I'd forgotten something because you kept tagging me with these kicks I literally could not find a response to - just total brain/body fart. Err... oh, he got me again. And again. And again. Oh, and again, dammit! And all I had was this lame block which would get my elbow shattered if you were actually kicking me with those *legs*. I knew I'd seen Frantzis do something about it on some bit of video somewhere so I went looking and found it. Pretty obvious, really.

Seriously, though, we ought to try and work out what's a safe way of mixing up the hard-only and soft-only rounds: the styles and cultures are so different that it'll take a bit of work on showing eachother how to make it safe before we can both really open up and feel like we're showing our best stuff.

I also think it's one of the places there's the most to learn. If I get to the point where I can make Tai Chi effective enough to hold my own against Kickboxing, I'll have learned a hell of a lot more than I know now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 12:29am

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yogi bear,

if someone relies on distance to generate power....what will happen if you take away the distance?

soft or hard...combat is combat. internal/external = quality of movement. a style can be 'internal', but it's up to a practitioner to make it 'internal'. it's like knowing C++ and still generate spaghetti code.

you can roll for position, but i wouldn't worry too much about your offense if you can't generate power from minimal/zero distance (internal has its own problem eh?).

next TD or sooner...i am more than willing to get a taste of your method of push-hand/chi sao/whachamacallit nowaday. :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2004 1:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lama - yeah, I was sorry we didn't get to play. Fast and furious! I totally agree about force/distance - one of the reasons that I was chasing Steve around is just that - at three-to-four feet the Externalists do realllllly well: build up speed, build up power, land blows. If I stayed out there he was going to toast me, and frequently did. Where as I'm at my most forceful at 18 inches or closer where I can just lay on a hand or a fist and then drive it straight back three feet using almost every major muscle in my body as a single unit.

<grin>

Damn, it feels good to say that. I've been away from fighting for too long.
Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 23 LastLast