Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 12:29am

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll have you know I'm 99 kilos, mr. Angel. 99 kilos of pure bodyslam! Seriously, though, my bad. We'll have mats next time. ;)

You ain't kidding about the hooks, yo. It's your power hit; work it more in MMA contexts and you'll be happy you did.

I hope someone has footage of keinhaar RNCing me with hooks in...as I stand fully upright and fall backwards on him before tapping. I was thinking about it a moment ago...why didn't he put his feet down!?!?! Silly stylist. keinhaar choking me out is starting to be a theme...

As for the good pic, ah yes. We have a message for those who didn't come to the Throwdown:

Actually, if you look carefully between OneWing and I you'll see the 'steam' rising up outta that grate....and lama_xy applying a dim mak to samurai_steve.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 2:29am

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwdown Recap

We started off with a meet-n-greet where everyone introduced themselves and talked a little bit about their expectation, level of contact, intensity, and injuries which others need to be aware of when sparring.

Matthew Bernius suggested controlled sparring as a format for the Throwdown. Matt and I demoed controlled sparring as this is something that is common in CMA (controlled hits w/o power as not to hurt the other person). We had a brief exchange of about 1 and 1/2 minutes. Probably didn't look all that impressive to the MMA/Muay Thai/etc crowd (might have worked to my advantage as I flew under the radar in later matches :)

I have no pics, but do have one clip of me going against Zing. I was also rolling with Keinhaar's girlfriend April and showing her some BJJ when not participating in the matches so I didn't really know what to expect when going up against anyone. Here is my report of the matches I participated in:

Zing vs Lama_XY (Hsing-I vs Hsing-I)
    Mucho prop to Zing for stepping up and attending and participating in the Throwdown with only 5-6 months of training. We had alot of controlled hits so the clip probably isn't too impressive.

Jeice vs Lama_XY ('studied @ home fu' vs lama, XY, and long-distance strategy)
    Jeice opened up with a couple of kicks and I think I surprised Jeice by jamming his kicks. I also caught two of his kicks and dumped him onto the ground. Prior to the start, we didn't talked about whether or not we would continue fighting once it's on the ground so we both restarted standing. We had one punching exchange where I had alot of controlled hits to Jeice's head and he landed a couple to my stomach/rib area. Jeice's contact lenses started moving around so we called it quit after that. These punches were harder than normal and they affected how I fought Samurai Steve later. Sorry bro.

Keinhaar vs Lama_XY (BJJ vs BJJ)
    Keinhaar and I go/went to the same BJJ school (Force BJJ in Hinsdale!) and we had rolled against each other before. Started from kneeling and after jostling around for position....I pulled guard on Keinhaar. He tried a bunch of stuff but I was able to get to his backside for a Rear Naked Choke. Couldn't pull it off and he reversed me and slapped an armbar on me. I got out of the armbar and went for a heel hook. He did the same. We rolled around a couple times trying to secured the heel hook and Keinhaar hit me in the face with his other leg. He is the master of the secret technique of eye gouging with his toes so ya'll better watch out!!! LOL

Samurai Steve vs Lama_XY (Krav Maga, Kickboxing, Boxing vs Lama & Xingyi)
    After Jeice punches, I wasn't gonna pull the controlled hitting with Steve (he also had head gear on so I figured it was OK to step up my punching a bit). Right off the bat, I caused him to lose his balance by sinking his arms downward. After that...I unloaded a couple of short hooks to his head. He brought up his hands to cover his head so I snuck in a couple uppercuts. Restarted after this exchange. Tied him up on the next and took him down by tripping him with a single leg and pushing his body. In the last exchange....we went to the ground and Samurai Steve was in my guard. He tried applying the key lock, but he didn't straightened out my arm. We didn't do much on the ground after that.

Samurai Steve - As if I didn't tell you @ the Throwdown...Sorry again, bro.

Who and where do I send the clips to in order to have them hosted? Some of them are huge and I don't know if you guys want to pay for the additional traffic or not.

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 3:21am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    samurai_steve - Way to wear the cup on the OUTSIDE!
    What are the measurements on your legs?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 9:25am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by PizDoff
    samurai_steve - Way to wear the cup on the OUTSIDE!
    What are the measurements on your legs?
    It's a cup meant to be worn on the outside.

As for leg measurements, my training journal had the following from Dec:

Calves - Both about 15"
    Right Quad/Ham - About 21"
    Left Quad/Ham - About 20"

So it's been a while.

-EDIT-

lama, it's all good. I wasn't prepared to be hit that hard with only 4oz gloves, but it's knowledge for the both of us and for later. :D

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 10:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lama_xy, check your PMs. If you send me the clips, I will either host them, or edit together a highlight, or both. Apostol has also offered hosting space, why don't you get 'em to me and I'll pass them around.

Samurai Steve, sorry we never got to throwdown, I didn't mix it up much with the standing-only crowd this time out. Maybe next time up you'll be up for some light MMA? :)
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 11:44am

Style: Tai-Chi, Judo, Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey folks, what a great time! Totally enjoyed the meet-and-beat and I'm looking forward to the next one.

Steve, sorry once again for taking you to the ground that time - I literally hadn't trained or sparred for six+ years and got a bit carried away. In general I didn't have the control I'm used to. Next time, tell me! I think we'd iron out a few bumps if we had a semi-formal pre-bout checklist: repeat the match conditions, restate any injuries, stuff like that. I know we did it at the beginning, but stuff did get forgotten more than once resulting in the only bumps in the day...

I hope we can make this a regular Chicago thing, like once a month or every two weeks or something. I can't think of a better way to tighten up our respective games!

I might even have to return to doing tai chi form work to try and figure out how everything other than sticking hands and punches work!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 11:49am

Style: non-aliveness BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Xango,

Can try emailing 32Meg files to ya. but I don't think your account will like it much. FTP?
    Last edited by lama_xy; 10/03/2004 12:06pm at .

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 5:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lama_xy, PMed you again.

Another reason the Throwdown was so weird...

I would like to show you our cock:

Props to keinhaar for the image. This critter was just kinda wandering around the park at random.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/03/2004 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should have caught it and brought it home.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2004 8:22am

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hah!

Nice, sounds like everybody had a great time and I wish I could've been there.