Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 7:53am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bruce Lee - Where did he get his grappling?

Hi all, sorry if this is re-post material. I just recently met and talked at length with an ex-Army Ranger (Us Army). He was in service during the time when special forces were moving away from judo ground tech's and onto Gracie/BJJ techniques (late 80's early 90's?). In fact, he said Rorian and Royce were training them pretty regularly in the beginning. Interestingly enough, he said they pretty much train Muay Thai stand up now, but used to train ninjutsu standup fighting.

Anyway, he mentioned that Bruce Lee had learned some (if not all) of his grappling from the Gracie's, and I thought he implied directly from them (ie, Helio Gracie). Is this Bullshido material? Can anyone substantiate this?

Thanks in advance for the replies.

PS- I am not a Gracie or Bruce Lee nut hugger.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 8:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From memory I think Lee did a bit with Gene Lebell. Or at least got his arse carried around by him.

I don't know about the BJJ stuff though, I had thought that this was only recent introduced, as in only a few years.

As an interesting side note, Royce said he's working on Muay Thai now as well while at the Adelaide seminar.

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 8:54am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think you might have some of your facts screwed up...

He learned a little grappling from Gene, but thats after there match(which bruce lost) he was real busy and traded some ideas with Gene and inrolled his son under gene.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 9:10am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't trying to point out facts, just asking for some clarification if anyone had any facts. Thanks for the info.

Gene LeBell and Bruce Lee sparred? Gene got the better of him? If so, that kicks ass. I have never heard of this one. I did hear of a rumor about Gene and Segal, but thought maybe that was all it was.

I don't know when BJJ hit the US. I do know that the Gracies choreographed some of the fighting in Lethal Weapon which was released in 1987 according to imdb.com. I think this guy is on the level. He still trains BJJ, so I don't think he would lie about the Rangers training in BJJ.

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce Lee was learning from Gene Le Bell. I beleive Bruce also had a black belt in judo.
    Bruce also read alot of books and met alot of martial artists in his life so one cant say he learnt his grappling from just one person. But Gene seem to be one of the more influential grappling instructors Bruce had. You can see the wrestling moves in Bruce's old drawings. Alot of stuff on full nelson/ half nelson, neck cranks, judo throws etc.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 12:09pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by judoka-san
    I wasn't trying to point out facts, just asking for some clarification if anyone had any facts. Thanks for the info.

Gene LeBell and Bruce Lee sparred? Gene got the better of him? If so, that kicks ass. I have never heard of this one. I did hear of a rumor about Gene and Segal, but thought maybe that was all it was.

I don't know when BJJ hit the US. I do know that the Gracies choreographed some of the fighting in Lethal Weapon which was released in 1987 according to imdb.com. I think this guy is on the level. He still trains BJJ, so I don't think he would lie about the Rangers training in BJJ.
    Gene did alot of stunt work in movies and played villians.... In one movie steven sugal (AKA da Deadly) made a claim he couldnt be choked out so gene put a choke hold on him and with in 10 seconds he was out cold... For good messure gene held it for a bit longer and he shat his pants not to mention pissed his pants... Gene supposly stuff him in a clossit only to have steven wake up moments later stumble out on the set a bit confused and got imbarresed. Lets just say he didnt work much longer on that movie set.

In his match vs bruce it went something like this, Gene charged at bruce. Bruce threw a kick (didnt hit much of anything) and gene picked him up and was about to throw him... Bruce said ok ok, enough you win.. and begged to be put down after that they became friends and bruce inrolled his son under gene in judo.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Unemployed

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 3:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sources?
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 3:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is what I heard from dan Inosanto:
    Bruce and Gene went at it on the sit og Green Hornet, for fun, at one point Gene had Bruce over his head and that was the end, publicaly, afterwards, they tried again and Gene got Bruce in a "crucifix" type hold, the one that Bruce uses on Sammo at the beginning of Enter the Dragon.

So, take that story for what its worth,

Lightweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 1:42am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bruce and Gene went at it on the sit og Green Hornet, for fun, at one point Gene had Bruce over his head and that was the end, publicaly, afterwards, they tried again and Gene got Bruce in a "crucifix" type hold, the one that Bruce uses on Sammo at the beginning of Enter the Dragon.
    Hmm, strange, thats nowhere in Cruces numerous biographies?:D

Anyone would think his biographers were a little biased and wanted to enforce the myth of his survivability.

Like the old coconut about him getting his back injury in a fight (ala Dragon), as opposed to it coming from him lifting weights as he and his wife claimed.

Funny that the Rangers used to use Ninjitsu plus BJJ/Judo. The NZ head of the whatever the BJJ association here is called is a 7th dan Bujinkan/Hatsumi Ninpo-Taijutsu guy who incorporates BJJ to inprove their ground game...
    Sociopaths are people too.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 1:50am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Tao of JKD, you can see drawings of an arm bar there. One of the things I remember from that damn book from so long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast