Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 1:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you meddling kids, and you're dog too.*

*I was worried I was going miss out on the omega welcoming commitee. About time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2004 9:26pm

Style: GJJ, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Aesopian
    Talking to a guy at BJJ who used to take JJJ, he said he just drilled a lot of standing wrist and arm locks. Like mcg said, they didn't stress position really at all. You were just supposed to twist his arm arm and assume they stayed standing there.

But, if I'm not mistaken, isn't Carlos Newton trained in JJJ and that's where he gets his grappling?
    I'm pretty sure its JJJ and wrestling, the grappling cirriculum at his coachs' school is pretty much whatever works (BJJ/Jui Jitsu/Judo/Hapkido)

http://www.warriormac.com/home.html

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 1:10am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Freddy: Aiki-jujutsu does NOT do randori the way it is taught traditionally. If it has randori nowadays, that is a recent addition.

When I say "traditional jujutsu" i'm talking about koryu stuff. Modern "traditional" jujutsu is probably a combination of a number of different styles, and it may or may not have randori.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Posted On:
    7/22/2004 1:14am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Carlos Newton's training has been a constant source of debate over at mma.tv.

His trainer came on and clarified it for everyone. Basically, his trainer (I belive his name is Moni) trained under kosen judo people and Kashiwazaki (judo newaza legend) and also I believe had experience in Krav Maga and probably some boxing and wrestling and whatnot. Nowadays, Carlos trains with whoever can hang with him, such as boxers, judoka, wrestlers, and bjj guys.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is BIG difference between the two.

There is "Classical JJ", which places a lot of emphasis on stand up techniques, such as wrist locks, throws, self-defense and such. It also does contain a grappling element though.

BJJ is a spin off dedicated exclusively to ground work. What I have been told is:

JJJ stress pins and holds, applying submissions without an overall strategy for positioning.

BJJ stresses positioning, and the transition from position to position, and that there is more emphasis on leverage than strength.

That's all I can tell you. If you find out more, please share.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12