226193 Bullies, 3802 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When logic strikes; MMA fighter replies to ignorance

Sources are from MMA weekly and Sherdog.

Think what you want about MMA: MMA is a sport who's time has come or it is a violent venue that should be banned from the public eye. It does not really matter on one condition. You come from an educated point. You have watched it and given it a fair chance.

In my experiance people who do not like MMA, and I find justified in doing so, also do not like boxing, football, and any violence whatsoever. Some who do not like MMA do not like the holding or wrestling on the ground. They have legitimate reasons, it is not a sport for them. I myself do not watch basketball or baseball I find them boring to watch. But to say something without experiancing it first and you show a like for other violent sports is to sell yourself short as does this sports writer from the New York Post:

Sunday, July 11, 2004
    The New York Post has published a scathing article ripping the Ultimate Fighting Championship and it's upcoming feature on the SpikeTV.

FIRST, the good news. Spike TV, this January, will be forced to dump one of its lowbrow shows.

Yep, it has to make room for "The Ultimate Fighting Championship," a cut-to-the-chase enterprise, once closeted, on pay-per-view, that sells honest-to-badness violence, real-deal brutality and blood instead of ketchup.

"People don’t understand ‘The UFC’ and there are certain misconceptions that we want to dispel," UFC TV executive Craig Piligian recently told The Post.

Bunk. People fully understand the UFC. It’s about the further and bolder selling of violence to a mostly young audience. And it takes only a few minutes viewing to understand exactly that.

In a very moving rebuttal Olympic wrestler and MMA contender Matt Lindland wrote this:

Mr. Mushnick:

-I read an article that you authored in the NY POST a few days ago, and it prompted me to write this short reply. Hope it finds its way to you.

The tone of your article was a familiar one; and the attitude it represented is one that I, and other people involved in Mixed Martial Arts, have viewed as a challenge for a while now. It is an attitude fostered more by ignorance than by knowledge; more by fantasy than by fact, more by a reliance on hearsay than by direct observation. And the challenge is not merely to oppose such factors on their face, but to attempt to present a more comprehensive, realistic, interpretive mental lens through which something new, and innovative, may be viewed and understood. Consider this note my acceptance of that challenge; for the sake of the sport of MMA, and for the sake of sport itself.

I returned from Sydney, Australia in 2000 after winning the Olympic Silver Medal in Greco-Roman Wrestling. It was the culmination of a lifetime of effort, and struggle, and sacrifice. I cannot tell you in words, Mr. Mushnick, how hard I worked and how much I sacrificed to be granted the chance to represent my Country (and, by extension, represent YOU, Mr Mushnick, an American Citizen) on the international stage of competitive athletics. I am certain that a Sports Journalist of your stature had many opportunities to observe, and comment on, the Olympic Games; and I am just as certain that you brought all of your knowledge, and all of your experience, to the task of reporting on the Olympics to your readership I am just as certain that you treated their faith in you, as someone they, your readers, believed in, and trusted, with the greatest possible level of professionalism; and that you shared your insights and knowledge with them.

And I believe in you, Mr. Mushnick. And I trust you as well. Please trust me enough to read on, and allow me to share with you as you have shared with countless sports fans for decades.

Give this idea a moment's consideration. Three recognized sports, all of which are both Olympic sports as well as have established and accepted World Championships, National Competitions, and Scholastic competitive architectures that reach down to grade-school levels, are running events, Swimming events, and Bicycle events.

All three have provided more thrills, and excitement, and drama, than a humble wrestler like myself can ever describe in a few sentences. Remember Mark Spitz? Carl Douglas? Lance Armstrong? Jesse Owens? And so many others I cannot possibly name; all great athletes, competing in great sports. And then someone said.....What if we combine these three great disciplines? What if we create another great sport, one which challenges those who choose to attempt to excel at it, to dare to be great at all three? And so, the Triathlon was born. And you cannot disagree with its legitimacy as a sport, or disregard and disparage its competitors, can you, Mr. Mushnick?

Allow me to mention a few other sports, each as compelling, and legitimate, as the three listed above:

Boxing, Judo, Wrestling, Taekwondo. All Olympic Sports; all with histories, and legacies of triumph and accomplishment that are part of the very social fabric of this, the greatest nation on earth, and virtually any other you choose to name. Need I mention the great Muhammad Ali? Dan Gable? George Foreman waving the American flag? These sports, and the athletes who compete in them, have all been instrumental in the very ability of humanity to define itself.

They all trace their origins back to the very beginnings of human civilization, and like we all share a common ancestor, long lost in the mists of history, so all of these combat sports also share a common ancestor. A great, all-encompassing Sporting Discipline, with dignity, and honor, and compassion, and respect for its competitors and spectators alike. A Combat Sport where individuals could train, and compete, with grace. Mixed Martial Arts is an attempt to connect with that; to rediscover and recreate that great Discipline.

It is, in essence, an experiment in Living Archeology. Imagine, if you will, the excitement you might feel if you were offered the chance to observe the Pyramids being built...or the Great wall of China...or the Inca Temples in Peru. What a gift that would be! To reconnect with that spirit, that Humanity, that was then, and is now. I was honored, and thrilled, to become involved in Mixed Martial Arts as a competitor, trainer, advisor, and coach. I have never regretted the time I took to look into the sport, and see it for what it really was, rather than take someone else's word, or discount it after a brief, flitting glance at something that was outside of what I was used to, beyond the boundaries of my preconceptions, my fixed ideas.

Let me share that with you, Mr. Mushnick. Please join me. Join US. The competitors of today and the heroes of the past. Allow me to be your Virgil, your guide, on a journey of exploration. Come and observe a sport with a history, and a language, that is waiting for you to understand it, and appreciate it. A sport with a safety record that puts sports like boxing and football in the shade; with a concern for its competitors' well-being that will surprise you. Come to our next competition as my guest. Meet the fighters. Watch them train, prepare, and compete. Look in their eyes.

Meet their families and supporters. Hear their stories. We are having our next event in Las Vegas on August 21st. I will personally reserve a ringside seat for you. Meet the Judges. The Referees. The Athletic Commission. They are all waiting for you. They all want to share with you, and tell you their stories of how they became involved, and why they think Mixed Martial Arts is important, and special. And they believe in you, like I do. You are an Elite Journalist with a unique opportunity.

Hope to hear from you.

Matt Lindland

OLYMPIC SILVER MEDALIST,WORLD MEDALIST and 5x NATIONAL CHAMPION
    I have personally met Matt and know that he is one the sports most articulate and thoughtful personas. Like any sport MMA is a mixed breed of intellegence, background and up bringing. My hat's off to him

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 2:46pm

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had Matt fall on me twice running to his fighter's corner.

Awesoem letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Grandmaster of Ou-chi!

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad there are guys like Matt in MMA. Too bad Mr. Mushnick won't take him up on it.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA IS GREATER THAN WORLD WAR II AND THE RESURRECTION MULTIPLIED BY THE MUMMY'S CURSE
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 6:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahah, I met Mr. Lindland in a bathroom once...
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 7:06pm

Style: BJJ/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's any consolation the NY Post right now is considered the joke of newspapers around here. The latest foul up being that it printed an "excluse" front page cover of John Kerry picking his vice-presidental running mate Dick Gephart.

(For those who aren't exactly paying attention to the U.S. Presidential campagin John Kerry's running mate is John Edwards so that ended up blowing up in the face of the NY Post.)

Then there was the time the NY Post published on it's front page a photograp of a Columbia University Student leaping to her death which infuriated the parents. So take consolation in the fact that the NY Post is a bit of a joke around here.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 7:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    matt should put out an open challenge to any journalist to fight him in a cage. that would rule.

Shogun of Long Island

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 7:13pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    or better yet we should get word to emin boztepe that the new york post has the *real* WC. once emin jumps them and embarasses WT again he'll make MMA look great in comparison.

Posted On:
    7/18/2004 9:40pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Original thread for discussion of NY Post article found here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...threadid=14360

I myself sent an email to the wankers asking for documents and sources for the claims in the article but it bounced.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    7/19/2004 5:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Boyd
    MMA IS GREATER THAN WORLD WAR II AND THE RESURRECTION MULTIPLIED BY THE MUMMY'S CURSE
    Very true. Can anybody hear the chanting?

"U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!"
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast