Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    7/13/2004 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Orlando Mini-Throwdown Results

So Te No Kage was in Orlando and made it by to do a bit of training and working out. It was very cool. We started with a few scenario drills, then worked on awareness and verbal de-escalation skills and finished off with some H2H combatives.

...Oh wait, that's what RBSDers do! Me and Te just lifted a bit and then rolled. Although we did do some weapons stuff at the end too. We're all about breaking stereotypes.

Props to Te for not only driving all the way to Orlando, but then also driving out to where I was. Very cool of him. (Sorry about those bad directions, though. *ahem*)

Some cool stuff was him wristlocking me on our first roll. (Stupid Aikido!) And later, him tapping me with a guillotine from mount. And I mean _I_ was in mount. Frankly, I didn't think it was possible, but there I was choking and tapping. Go figure.

All in all it was great. Makes me feel even worse that I missed the Jax throwdown. There should be one picture of us just standing there, but unfortunately no action pics or vid.

Thanks again, Te. Enjoy the scrappbooking! :D

Matt

Chemist

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 6:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks again Matt, lots of things learned for me. Had a really good time rolling. I'm surprised that we didn't get heckled by the lookers-on, but maybe they realize what an RBSD ultimate warrior you are and don't want to get sniper'd. I still have a lot to learn on takedowns as Matt was very good at getting good position on the ground. Oh, I forgot, we worked on Nog's Anaconda Choke which will just be another tool in the ole arsenal. And for nay-sayers, aikido wrist-locking does work on the ground, but since it worked it must have been a BJJ or MT wrist lock. ;) We also tried to do a little freestyle wrestling vs. aikido which is very boring until somebody forces something. So I got in a tenchinage and he got in a single leg takedown, so that's 1-1. And ending the day with swordfighting was awesome. Fighting in an "alive" manner with padded weapons is wicked fun, and should be tried by everybody.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 7:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, andaconda choke...

So, Matthew, didn't know you could get guillotined from the guard eh?
    One of the great benefits of sparring, learning that anything can happen.

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 8:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that lady flinched when I tried to hand her pen back to her! No jokin'. She dropped her pen and I grabbed it and was like, "here ya go" and she flinched away from me for a second. Heh. She must have thought I was going for a double leg. ;)

Yes, my patented low single worked again. (Watch out, Djimbe!) But I have to say, all that Aikido avoidance stuff worked really well. I basically would have had to lunge at you to get the clinch, and that would have left me really vulnerable. Cool stuff actually.

Matt

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 8:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's right, Ronin.

We went down and I scrambled for mount, but Te got me in a front headlock. I thought, no big deal, he can't put on much of a choke from under mount. So I was working slow, trying to better position and free my head. Then, bam, he rocks me forward and sinks in the choke.

Learn somethin' new everyday. And not bad for an "Aikido guy." :D Actually we had a pretty good discussion about that too. I compared my old Hapkido training with what he does in Aikido. And there is a big difference. Also, it was cool to learn about his Yoshukai karate. Traditional, but very hard core.

Matt

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 8:55am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're lucky he didn't wear his hakama.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 9:07am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now that I'm in Florida, please keep me in mind when stuff like this happens!

Though, I am carless till the end of the month, and living in the armpit of Florida, I can try to make it. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 9:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL , armpit of florida :)

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 9:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cool

Posted On:
    7/14/2004 12:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anthony, You're in Seminole County right now? I live in Sanford. How long you going to be around?

Matt