Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/24/2002 8:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "krav is it. a combination of muay thai, wrestling, boxing, aikido ;/, and judo" - that's similar to MMA, if you train all of those (spar alot) then that's excellent in my opnion.....
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    7/24/2002 9:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: LongFist CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "i've sparred against tae kwon do, kung fu, and kickboxing using it and no one has lasted past two minutes."

BS meter ticking away again.........

More details please, this sounds like "I did once with a green belt" statement. At least my story was an actual account.

McDojo, is it what you do or is it what you think?
    I wake up in the morning and look in the mirror and I see STUPID looking back.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    7/24/2002 9:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    waht you think, is HOW you do. So i go with think.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/25/2002 2:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    nwwusa

I know what real Krav Maga is about and what I am seeing popping up alround is NOT it.

Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invinsible Asia) Emporer of Baji!!! THE FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE AGAINST THE UNITED AUSSIE FRONT!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2002 1:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care about names, krav maga, kung fu, whatever.It is about wrestling and boxing.I can fight cause I can lift alot, I boxed for years, and I wrestled til I messed up a knee, now I do BJJ.I didnt get in on it for no fad, and dont see it as no ultimate answer.But the fact is, there are two ways to train.Be a nancy and refuse to spar hard (that way you can preserve lethal techniques) or you can be a man, step up, and slug it out in boxing gyms with no murals of ninjas on the walls.
    You can be a big boy, and wrestle(bjj, judo, whatever) and trade (boxing, kickboxing whatever) or you can be a kung fool or ninja boy and walk around in a dress talking **** about wrestlers boxers and NHB fighters that got the sand to step in the ring with the big boys.I get ill reading about krav maggots and self defense yahoos that blab on about streetfights.They will tell you they know their **** cause theyre an excop or whatever.I did 42 months in the joint in texas, one of maybe 30 white guys in my cell block, an you know what? I was in a ton of fights, an won if it was fair.But if it aint a fair fight, you lose, aint no krav maga creep gonna help ya.If you are some tight little chich that gets set upon by one of the boys I did time with, you are all done.No dumbass palmstrike is gonna do ****.You can shoot him, or spend 10 years learning wrestling and boxing, and maybe 1 chance in 3 you could pull of an upset.Self defense courses are pure bullshit.You win fights by becoming a fighter, not with tricks.

I hate my brother.

Rock ape baby pic

Posted On:
    7/27/2002 5:14am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spoken like a true drunken texas redneck. yeehaw!!
    There are slivers of truth in your post, but mostlty it was self serving rat turds. You're self defense strategy is simple: be the most hopped up guy possible. Be a big boy, eat steroids like M&Ms and smother the guy with as much extra tissue as possible. yeah , you'll live long.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2002 7:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DocOct has a point. Most self defense programs are pure garbage.

I know a lot of guys who do Karate or Kung Fu, then try out Judo or Bjj and quit within a week because "they don't like to be touched", or don't enjoy getting whooped on when they hit the mat. Going to the mat and getting tapped out within 5 seconds is a very embarrassing, and humbling experience.

At my first Judo class, I was very uncomfortable in terms of personal space. However that reality check made me a much better fighter overall. Also being the smallest guy in the class forced me to rely on technique over raw power, making me a better Judoka, and fighter. Until people get used to someone violating their personal space, they'll be ill prepared when someone does it on the street.

BTW, if a woman wants to learn how to protect herself from being raped, or attacked all she needs is a crash course in Bjj, Judo, Wrestling, etc. Teaching a woman TKD, Karate, or Kung Fu for self defense is like wearing a shirt that says "rape me" on the back.

Edited by - King of Fists on July 27 2002 07:49:26

Edited by - King of Fists on July 27 2002 07:50:46

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2002 8:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i once seen some girl use a krav maga finger jab to some boys throat and dropped him where he stood??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2002 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And this "boy"? Was he a crazy serial killer that was raped by his stepdad for a decade, then spent 4 years in juvi getting his ass reamed by older inmates?
    I bet no.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    7/28/2002 5:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ahhh...Finally, A Kosher McDojo!

Just last week I heard about a Krav Maga school that had opened a few miles from my
    house, I called to inquire about the tuition and class times. I was told that all my questions
    would be answered at the free class to given next Saturday. Dissatisfied, but still curious, I
    told them to put my name on the list.

I drove about 2 miles to a karate dojo where the class would take place. Our instructor was
    a very friendly, very pretty and athletic woman in her mid-twenties. The class started out
    typically, with some running around the mat, basic punching and kicking drills, and we
    learned how to escape a choke from behind. Everyone was wearing hand wraps, which I
    thought was odd, though.

Then it was time for questions and answers. I think I was the only martial artist present.
    After she answered questions about schedules and tuition, I asked her what her martial
    arts background was, she said she was of course, a fully-certified Krav Maga instructor
    and had taught Tae Bo and Ki-Bo for five years. The crowd seemed very impressed by
    this. Not wanting to press the issue, I nodded my head. She asked if there were any more
    questions, and if not, she'd start signing people up. Of course, you had to sign up for a
    year at least, and the only payment they accepted was Electronic Funds Transfer, which
    I also found odd, and if you didn't sign up then and there, it'd cost you an additional $15 a
    month. Of course, she had no shortage of sign-ups, who all had to purchase fully-licensed
    Krav Maga gi pants, t-shirts and hand wraps(?) from her.

I asked a friend who runs a self-defense school what he knew about Krav Maga. He told me
    that it was a great style for street self-defense, esp. for women, and he had once tried to
    become a certified instructor, but the reason he didn't and the reason for so few Krav Maga
    schools (just 21 in a state as big as California) is that while it only takes six days (!) to become
    an instructor, it also takes thousands of dollars and tons of contracts and non-disclosure
    agreements.

While I think Krav Maga is a great system and am sure there a plenty of talented martial
    artists out there teaching it, I have a problem with a governing body that runs itself as a
    for-profit business that holds all rights to the name of the style, a logo, requires purchase
    of the items it and only it sells, and trains aerobics instructors to keep unknowing consumers
    to protect themselves on the street in only 6 days.

http://forums.about.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ab-martialarts&msg=2554.1
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast