Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 11:02pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knee Injury? I has it.

So I was demo'ing a single leg takedown on my brother, and as he slapped the guillotine on me, and I lifted for the swing to the side/slam, as I did so my knee made a sickening *pop*, gave out, I let a manly yell, and collapsed. My brother did as well, and looked sick. There was a slight falling/twisting motion, I think thats what got me.

He said he saw my knee twist sideways, and something visibly pop out, as the *pop* happened, and he almost fainted because of it (lulz). I was able to move the knee with no pain within a minute, just a itty bitty 'hmm' feeling, and I can walk, and have full range of motion, its just a bit sensitive.

I'm really worried, I have hyperextended that knee twice in under 10 minutes about 2 years ago (basketball) and the second time I saw white cuz it hurt so bad. I was limping for quite a while, and had limited range of motion for about a year, but it was fine, til now.

This is making me want to stop grappling, seriously. It wasnt a textbook takedown, but it wasnt the worst either. I dont wanna **** up my knee, what should I do? Anyone else have knee injury problems and still train? I think I would be fine on the ground, but I am just starting to get comfortable with takedowns, I'd hate to give those up, but I am not too pumped about hearing that horrible noise again, and risk fucking my knee up worse. What to do!?

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 11:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, go to the doctor. Then do whatever the hell they tell you until you recover. In the interim you will have plenty of time to decide whether you want to continue grappling. In a worse case scenario you can give it up and take Muay Thai.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/21/2008 11:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But its srsly fine, just a lil sensitive, I dont wanna pay a $50 or whatever deductable just for some dude to tell me to ice it and stop grappling for a while. I'm planning on taking a month off as is.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 12:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesnt matter how it feels now, if you felt that give-out and had pain and it went away you still could have damage. a lot of people tear their miniscus(which is what i'd guess you did if it was the twist), scream like girls, and then it goes away and they think they're fine til the torn part causes their knee to lock up, at which point it will hurt worse than it did originally.

get it checked out. if you gotta do some PT tackle it like training.
    Last edited by Kaoz; 6/22/2008 12:14am at . Reason: how do parentheses?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 12:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and I had a pretty bad knee injury from being struck by a car. 6-7 weeks of physical therapy later i was back training and I just started doing BJJ and i have no problems. It's all individual though and when it comes to PT you get out what you put in. I went balls-deep with it and gained pounds of muscle. muscle that keeps my lower leg from going floppy floppy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 4:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Friggin A. Now I'm freaked out...

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 6:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't get a knee injury properly attended to and I missed training for something like 4 years.
    Mine was a ligament. I don't know which one because I WAS TOO STUPID TO GO TO A DOCTOR.
    True story.

The bullet point of this presentation is: Go see a doctor. One who knows something about sports and the desires of men/women to participate in such matters.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 7:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KayRoc
    Friggin A. Now I'm freaked out...
    there's no reason to be freaked out. you SHOULD be concerned for your health though. no matter what it is your doctor can help you move past it and deal with it as best as practical medicine can (no bionic legs sorry i asked). They key is to tackle this early and like i said go all out on your PT.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    The bullet point of this presentation is: Go see a doctor. One who knows something about sports and the desires of men/women to participate in such matters.
    TRUTH!

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 9:04am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would not surprise me one bit if turns out you have a ruptured ACL.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    6/22/2008 9:29am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    $50 dollars to see a doc just to make sure you don't need more than RICE

vs

mounting costs of a fucked up knee that went unatended.

Hmmmm, which one should I choose? Decisions, decisions, fucking decisions? Agh my head!!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast