Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:31pm

Style: luk chua bik da

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, try researching your links before you put them up, that's the wrong Green Dragon Society.

The Chicago Green Dragons, who I didn't even know were still there, were a group studying a family style of kung fu back in the sixties/seventies. Don't know if they were still around in the eighties. One might have called them cultish, but not mcdojo.

First, they were a club, not a school per se, and so weren't making money off of anyone.

Second, to become a senior in the club, and those who know better than me correct me if I'm wrong, you had to take a position in the center of the club, the other seniors would surround you, and you had to try to break through them until you just couldn't fight anymore, full contact.

Third, the Green Dragons were the club that Count Dante and his crew broke into and tried to roust. The Green Dragons, in self defense, killed Count Dante's senior student. They were considered serious back in the day in Chi town.

The Green Dragons, from my understanding, have some of the best herbal supplies around, if you can find them. I know precious little about their core style.

The green dragons you just posted information about are in Virginia, and have nothing to do with Chicago's Green Dragn Society, who never used to advertise, and really didn't seem to want more students.

Research a little more. The website gives the location. Green Dragon is a pretty common school name, the first website that comes up probably isn't the same folks.

If you're gonna call mcdojo, it'll give you more credibility if you don't do crap like that.

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey! If you read that website, you'd see that there are no Chicago locations! Fancy that!

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, chicagoguy, if you know of an old Green Dragon club, please pm me with details, I'd be interested in checking them out sometime.

As for Chicago schools, Wai lun Choi has a decent rep, there's schuai jiao not far away that's supposed to be decent, I'll see what else I can remember.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 10:07pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The group I'm refering to can be found at [url]http://www.greendragonsociety.com/

Also who is count Dante?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 10:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okaaaay.

Having read that site, there's no way they're the same school from that first website, they may be related to the old Green Dragon Society, and while I'd love to see some of their kung fu if they are, I've dealt with enough of that type school organization for one lifetime. Nothing against them, but I really feel the confucian thing causes a lot of problems in commercial schools.

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dummies Guide to Count Dante

Count Dante was a martial artist in the sixties and seventies who used sensationalist advertising in comic books to sell his product. He was also a hair dresser. He and his posse would go to schools in Chicago and attempt to beat up the members of the schools, with some level of success up to his run in with the Green Dragons.

I believe he went to prison, and died of somewhat tragic, if not completely unexpected events(drugs, if I recall right).

His school was called the black dragon something or other, which Ashida Kim claims some affiliation with, though like many of Kim's claims, this is questionable.

Congratulations, you are at ground zero for this century's edition of "really weird martial arts ****". Chicago in the seventies was, for whatever reason, almost like a kung fu movie, but with more accidental deaths.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any more interesting stories I should know about as far as martial arts in Chicago?

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 10:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What martial arts experience do you have?

That way, I don't have to warn you about people anyone with experience needs to avoid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 10:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Degerberg Academy as a kid, Hapkido, Judo and BJJ teenage years on.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast