Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 2:50am

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

good schools vs mcdojos in chicago

I was wondering what schools people thought were good in Chicago and which ones they thought were McDojos, or simply failed to live up to what they promise to teach. For example, Degerberg Academy, and Pow! I would call MCDojos or at best belt factories. While Tohkon Judo Academy, Gracie Barra, and Bujinkan Chicago Dojo are excellent schools from what I have seen and heard. Has anybody heard anything about The International Green Dragon Society I have heard some cultish things about them.

PS I think it would be a great idea for these lists to exist on every major city to help martial artists spend less time wading through ****.

Not Enough Weight

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    www.dragonsociety.com takes you to what looks like their main school. Definitely a McDojo, perhaps in the Temple Kung Fu vein, with lots of sub-clubs to join and extra fees everywhere. Check out the Carlson Gracie academy; they have a central school in the city proper and a satellite in Napierville.
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:03am

Style: BJJ,MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The greendragon grandmaster's last name is "Moneymaker"? Holy **** thats funny!!!

Psi Vampire Bane

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I didn't like Degerberg, too large. Where you at in Chicago, we can do more good if you tell us where you can travel to, and also, what you're looking for.
    Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Psi Vampire Bane

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:13am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and it's already been established that scuk a list(bad schools) would be very hard, if not impossibel to do(and certainly impossible to do without predjudice).
    Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

Skeptic

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can understand not liking Degerberg becuase it's too large, but what makes it a McDojo? The "Blend" curriculum?

Granted that has McDojo tendencies, but my impression of the place was that if the person wanted to learn how to be a good fighter, they could do so there.

Psi Vampire Bane

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always gotten the impression that they cared more about getting paid then the students. I've been there, but never trained, cause it's $30 for a one day pass. Okay, I understand you have a large facility, but I'm not going ot join a class without trying it, and I'm not going to pay to try it. Oh, and the contracts. They love contracts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 7:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any legit JKD schools, or other personal recomendations (for schools) in Chicago?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 7:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where you at in Chicago, we can do more good if you tell us where you can travel to, and also, what you're looking for.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    north side but work on the near west side and school that emphasis self-defense
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast