Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 2:12am

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"But then it isn't Chi Sau anymore"

So I was at a psytrance party this weekend. Guy out on the floor was doing his kung fu, looked like some kind of internal **** but then it would, he's not about to go flailing his fists around in the middle of a psytrance party. Get into a conversation with him, looks like some Hung Gar, some Wing Chun, some Tai Chi, little this, little that. An enthusiast.

Late, late in the evening, I'm wandering towards the back when I spot Yogi Bear and this guy doing the internal kung fu dance: You know, the free-hand flowing block-centric slow-motion slappy fighting? So they dance around for awhile, get bored eventually, stop. I say that it's very interesting what they're doing, but why don't they ever clinch? The guy's all 'what' so I start the internal kung fu dance, get an elbow, clinch the head, pull low, and do a nice gentle o soto gari. All of this at the appropriate hippy pacing and use of force. He sort of comes down and wraps one of my legs with both of his, and looks at me like "ha, but I have one of your legs!" This I'm willing to ignore. I help the guy up and say something about that's why I wonder why they don't clinch, and he says "but then it wouldn't be Chi Sao! Chi Sao is like this" and sticks his arms out again like a champ. Bridge, get head, one underhook, o soto gari, at the speed of interpretive dance. I get the leg wrap again, and extricate myself this time.

Yogi Bear makes some sort of crack about what a brute I am. This, incidentally, has nothing to do with the Judo and everything to do with the Xingyi. He says "Where is the art!" so we start the slow-motion slappy fight dance, I get an arm, and Yogi is kind enough to let me execute a harai goshi into kesa gatame.

Afterwards I spread the gospel of Bullshido, so, perhaps this fellow will turn up around here yet. He's in Wisconsin so we're not too likely to see him for Throwdowns and whatnot.

Moral of the story: Tai Chi hippies can be taught the rubbishness of their pushing hands without having to harsh their mellow. Just ask for a round of freeform push hands, pummel them gently, and dump them.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 2:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wtf is that on ur avatar

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 2:46am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Huh, interesting.

Of course, as I understand it, the point of chi sao isn't to realistically spar, but rather to build some narrow aspects of some particular skillset.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 2:51am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    wtf is that on ur avatar
    Its a deep sea fish, don't you watch fucking pixar movies??? Finding Nemo! HELLO!!! :angryfire

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 3:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The exercise known as chi sao (and that known as pushing hands) requires the tacit agreement of both participants to prevent it evolving into slow-motion clinching practice.

That, if anything, is the point.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 3:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Psytrance and goa is the ****, and you're the man for liking it.

Who was playing?
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 3:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shai, S.O.T, Kaizer Soze, Derby, and Dan Efex. Locals, in other words. It was a good night.

Infected Mushroom came around weekend after New Years. That was something else.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 3:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it's cool that you have locals into that sort of thing. I've always been a SUN Project fan.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Titan

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 5:36am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were at a dance ? The "Clinch" is not top of my dance move list, it's somewhere near the bottom with the double leg and the guard pass.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    2/14/2005 5:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goa 0wnes you.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast