Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:07pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Das Moose
    I think i've given enough proof.
    That wasn't directed at you. I'm just saying that it's a popular explanation for McDojo students, i.e. "TKD might have a really bad rep but at my dojo we punch during sparring and kick Wavemasters and once we did wristlocks so TKD has grappling blah blah blah blah blah"

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:10pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pst - yeh, you can do it that way, we were doing it more along the "hit the soft part of his arm as hard as fucking possible with the knife edge of your forearm" way tho ;-)

Shumagorath - fair enough. The "I hate to piss on your parade" comment made it seem like you were attacking my opinion, however.

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, what we are saying is that, Wing Chun in the majority of kwoon's suck, but not at "ours"/"yours".
    We are also saying that the Wing Chun we see in video clips and instruction books is NOT the "good wing chun", because they show the "ridgid and not-like-we-do-it" wing chun.
    We are also saying that the training methods are what counts, as long as you are still doing Wing Chun.
    And we are also saying that, just because it looks nothing like Wing Chun, doesn't mean it ISN'T wing Chun.

Is that about right?

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm saying, Wing Chun at my school is effective. I'm not commenting on the WC you see in video clips and instruction books. Same or similar techniques as we use, in most cases, so must be the training methodology that makes the difference.
    And i don't think i ever said that just because it doesn't look like WC, doesn't mean it isn't WC. In fact on the very first page there's a picture of my instructor, in a MMA fight, using three or four different techniques that look *exactly* like wing chun.

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post was directed in GENERAL big guy, not in specific.

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know the guy probably is using Wing Chun in that photo, but I think it's a little much to say that it perfectly illustrates those four techniques. I don't see the knee strike even after you pointed it out, and I could argue that he's throwing a heavy hook while chasing the guy Belfort-style.

It would probably be better for your argument if you could animate a few frames or even get a video.

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *shrug* guy i do WT with and myself should be getting a camcorder in a month or so, we're going to tape some vale tudo rules sparring. My instructor has fought in WVC12, Cage Wars, and a few other places - only clip you can get is the last ten seconds or so of WVC12, where he's groundfighting and doesn't use any WT techniques.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shumagorath - quite frankly, you are setting standards too high for Das Moose (or anyone) to prove anything. No technique, of any style, looks "like it should" when it is being performed under pressure.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    WCL makes a v gd point. However the fact is, in that photo, it looks pretty fucking like WT to me. I mean it certainly looks a hell of a lot more like WT than boxing - in fact, the other guy is providing a pretty damn good example of what boxing looks like, and Sifu looks pretty much exactly what i'd expect a WT guy defending that attack to.

Posted On:
    7/05/2004 3:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Shumagorath - quite frankly, you are setting standards too high for Das Moose (or anyone) to prove anything. No technique, of any style, looks "like it should" when it is being performed under pressure.
    I totally agree. I just think that a still frame loses too much information for all of those things he listed to be visible. In fact, your post only reinforces my argument.

Originally posted by Das Moose
    WCL makes a v gd point. However the fact is, in that photo, it looks pretty fucking like WT to me. I mean it certainly looks a hell of a lot more like WT than boxing - in fact, the other guy is providing a pretty damn good example of what boxing looks like, and Sifu looks pretty much exactly what i'd expect a WT guy defending that attack to.
    Your time in Wing Chun allows you to do that, but I think you see most of that because you want to see it.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 7/05/2004 4:02pm at .
Page 5 of 40 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast