Posted On:
    7/28/2004 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is this thread still alive?

Originally posted by Freddy

"hubbud in FMA?"? You mean mean "Hubbai"???
    It is hubud.

Also, where did you learn to count? 1986-2004 != 25 years
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 12:31pm

Style: WC, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    supercrap,

You raise some good points...But when I used to spar in WC, I do not use anything similar to the moves in chi-sao (The guys who tried to always did badly in sparring).

However, you will find that clinches in MT fights are direct implementations of MT clinch-training.

Anyway, who cares about theories. One can create a theory about almost anything.

What matters is that the practicioner is able to use the skills that they train in. In some cases, it may be easier to learn from the experiences of others such as professional fighters.

The school that you train in, the instructor you train with and your own goals are far more important anyway. So, if Wing Chun is what works for you, all power to you.

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 2:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Little Idea
    Why is this thread still alive?

It is hubud.
    Also, where did you learn to count? 1986-2004 != 25 years
    (Hubai is what we pronounce it as. Maybe it spelled differently in different schools????)

Where did you learn to READ?
    First off before you make smart ass remarks I started WING CHUN in 1986!
    I was in other martial arts BEFORE wing chun. If you actually READ my post I said I was in "MARTIAL ARTS" for aprox. 25 years. I NEVER said I was in Wing Chun for 25 years. Theres a difference.
    Last edited by Freddy; 7/30/2004 2:45pm at .
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 6:18pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never seen anyone call it hubai, but I'll believe you.

I interpreted your posts as you wrote them. You didn't say you started wing chun in a certain year, you said you 'originally started'. I understand what you meant now.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Loving Father

Posted On:
    7/30/2004 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somebody shoot this thread.
    Or, make another one with "New" & "Improved" ideas, examples, etc about WC.

`~/

Posted On:
    7/31/2004 12:38am

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hope I'm not taking this thread away from more important matters, but I know some people would like to see some different examples of wing chun in videos. My school's website is www.moyyat.net and under the 'media' category there are some examples of chi sao, techniques, and other assorted goodness. Please post any thoughts or comments.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Posted On:
    7/31/2004 1:08am

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, as far as what part of the fist to hit with, my sifu told me in one of my first classes that we train to hit with the bottom three knuckles, but that as you progress you hit with the bottom two and eventually with the pinky knuckle only if possible. My sigung(grandteacher) has told me the same thing. If you have any questions or concerns with that I suggest you try the variations on someone and ask them which hurts more. If you don't train the vertical punch regularly please be careful because you can tweak your wrist.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Loving Father

Posted On:
    7/31/2004 6:36am

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by grond
    Oh yeah, as far as what part of the fist to hit with, my sifu told me in one of my first classes that we train to hit with the bottom three knuckles, but that as you progress you hit with the bottom two and eventually with the pinky knuckle only if possible.
    hmm. . .interesting. I thought of a few reasons for the variations, though I've not seen them used by the few wc practicioners I know. Gotta ask them.
    Awwright, you posted vid links, too.

`~/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2004 7:45am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ouch... punch with with the pinky knuckle only?

Say it with me, boys and girls: "Boxer's Fracture"

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    7/31/2004 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kewl, soon I will be able to defeat all ving tsun grand masters with my patented headbutt the chain punch technique.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 293536373839 40 LastLast