Page 11 of 40 First ... 78910111213141521 ... Last

Thread: Wing Chun FAQ

  1. #101
    Darting Fingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,322
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't the three bottom knuckles have a greater surface area and thus the force from contact is focused through more flesh and bone than with two hopefully reducing injury?
    "Pussyhole"

  2. #102
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    Style
    BJJ - Homeland Security
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dochter
    Which actually makes a hell of a lot more sense than choosing an anatomically weak position, which I really don't get.
    At this point I'm starting to think Wing Chun is principally opposed to so many other styles for the sake of being "different", not "better".

  3. #103
    Darting Fingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,322
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at this don't know who it supports but thought it might be of interest http://homepages.nyu.edu/~jmm257/navicular.fx.pdf
    "Pussyhole"

  4. #104
    Darting Fingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,322
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Shumagorath
    At this point I'm starting to think Wing Chun is principally opposed to so many other styles for the sake of being "different", not "better".
    Saying "wing chun" is like saying "karate".
    I love hooks, uppercuts, rips, etc, I don't want to be different for the sake of it, I just think some things are being dismised to lightly and I think those wc'ers on this site who aren't close minded would tend to agree with me.
    "Pussyhole"

  5. #105
    Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee
    supercrap's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Least Cool Guy in all of Japan
    Posts
    2,296
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A smaller surface area delivers more damage for the pressure applied. Think a couple of kilos of sugar hitting your back versus a stilettoed shoe weighing a couple of kilos hitting you.

    Um, bad example. I mean that the same force applied through a smaller size = more damage.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

  6. #106
    Ready are you? What know you of ready? supporting member
    Little Idea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    721
    Style
    EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fear the contrarian Wing Tsun Master Jack Dempsey....
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

    Talk to TBK's boyfriend:


  7. #107
    Shuma-Gorath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,607
    Style
    BJJ - Homeland Security
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, but Karate (to use your example) takes a good share of bashing too. The difference it that Karate students don't get offended enough to make FAQ threads when people trash their art. Granted, there are vocal members of the community, but they are far less visible than equally vocal Wing Chun students.

    Every time there's a thread having a good laugh at a still frame from a kata, I just say "OK, whatever..." and go back to training. Punching with the last three knuckles aside, threads like this only stroke the egos of the believers and make the proponents look insecure. If you really do feel confident in your training, why do you give a **** what anyone else thinks?

  8. #108

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    22
    Style
    Run-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is that you're using a 2-D picture to represent a 3-D object. The lower 3 knuckles have much more support than is shown.

    The other issue I have with the horizonal punch is that it forces your ulna and radius to cross over, weakening the entire structure of the arm. Impact at the hand is more likely to travel laterally, where the long bones are weakest. Using a vertical punch allows you to absorb more impact medially, where the bones are strongest. This also provides more support to the lower 3 knuckles.

  9. #109
    Darting Fingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    1,322
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by supercrap

    I mean that the same force applied through a smaller size = more damage.
    Yes I agree but their is more srain put on that stilleto than the bag of sugar due to the surface area thats my point.

    Originally posted by Shumagorath

    Yes, but Karate (to use your example) takes a good share of bashing too. The difference it that Karate students don't get offended enough to make FAQ threads when people trash their art. Granted, there are vocal members of the community, but they are far less visible than equally vocal Wing Chun students.

    Every time there's a thread having a good laugh at a still frame from a kata, I just say "OK, whatever..." and go back to training. Punching with the last three knuckles aside, threads like this only stroke the egos of the believers and make the proponents look insecure. If you really do feel confident in your training, why do you give a **** what anyone else thinks?
    I don't know why we WC'ers get into all this, I am confident and this just my 2 cents. All fun and games to me.
    "Pussyhole"

  10. #110

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Toronto/Hamilton
    Posts
    593
    Style
    BJJ/Kickboxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by supercrap
    A smaller surface area delivers more damage for the pressure applied. Think a couple of kilos of sugar hitting your back versus a stilettoed shoe weighing a couple of kilos hitting you.

    Um, bad example. I mean that the same force applied through a smaller size = more damage.
    I no longer understand who's side you are on...
    Aren't you one of the guys arguing for wing chun.

    Someone said something about being able to jab and cross very well with vertical fists, I don't understand how that is possible, maybe the jab, but the "cross" would not be a cross anymore...

Page 11 of 40 First ... 78910111213141521 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO