Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 6:26am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just open the guard and go offense.

Sittin in closed guard is a bad idea in most situations. Better to open up and go for sweeps, submissions, or just put your feet on their hips and make space.

I love it when my guard is open with feet on the floor and the top guy is still driving his elbows into my thighs. LOL. Thats when I know I am working with a true beginner.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 8:19am

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More good stuff.

Reward #2:
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 8:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Antagony
    Hooray for good responses!

Here is your reward:
    Good lord, she's been impaled on a metal pole!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 8:44am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Yrkoon9
    Just open the guard and go offense.

Sittin in closed guard is a bad idea in most situations. Better to open up and go for sweeps, submissions, or just put your feet on their hips and make space.

I love it when my guard is open with feet on the floor and the top guy is still driving his elbows into my thighs. LOL. Thats when I know I am working with a true beginner.
    YES! this is what I do too, I stopped clinging to closed guard all the time a couople months ago. My ground game jumped up a level inside a week.

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 9:23am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see a lot lof the high-level guys at my club using both, but I actually have a much harder time passing spider guard.

Then again I'm now one of the few remaining white belts in my usual classes, so it really doesn't matter what guard they use.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Osiris
    [quoute]The elbows to thigh will work on a few people but mostly noobs. If your opponent is doing this drill on you for a period of time, your thighs will be conditioned to accept the elbow grinding. Hence it will not work in the long run, especially if you are used to taking inside thigh kicks.

What works better I was told was posturing up, putting the knee under the tailbone and then working the thighs.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, it works really well if you want to get swept worse than the Flyers at the '96 Stanley Cup Playoffs. Putting your leg back like that makes you VERY susceptible to the flower and scissor sweeps, not to mention various slightly more complicated gi passes.

Personally, there are three guard breaks I use that I've had a lot of success with; one for gi, one for no-gi, and one for MMA.

For gi, I lower my base and assume a low, wide posture, elbows touching the knees, face buried in my opponent's stomach. I don't camp here, I just turtle up long enough for an opening. I'll then put one arm on the belt and one on the bicep (to prevent being cross-collar choked in the following steps). From here I'll straighten the arm holding the belt completely out; I'm pushing the belt straight up towards their head. The leg on the same side as the belt arm then scoots back. I'll then repeat the process so both arms are pushing his belt right into his face, and my hips are far back. Most smart fighters will stop fighting at this point and open their guard; for the more stubborn, stand up , slide your knee underneath their tailbone, and sit back down. They really have no choice but to let go at this point.

For no gi, I was taught to assume the same "safe" position. When I pop up, though, I lean to the side slightly and straighten out one of my arms; the other arm stays on the ribs, elbow touching knee. I then use my whole body to press down on the area just below the knee of the leg on the same side as the pusing arm. For added pressure, I slide back the leg on the same side as the leg being pushed down. It's just a slightly more technical version of pushing down on the legs, but it has the nice benefit of being more versatile than the gi pass. Yes, it leaves you open to counterattack, but it's surprisingly easy to just keep switching up sides. Sooner or later his leg's gonna give out.

For MMA, I put the hands in the throat and jump up, raining down punches until the opponent opens their guard. Once it's open, I throw my hips into them and sit on their hamstrings. From there I've got ample control over their legs and can simply throw them to the side to complete the pass.

So yeah. Does anyone use any of those three? because really, that whole elbow-in-the-femoral-artery thing is really bitchy. Like, Royce Gracie bitchy.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 11:34am

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uhh, to actually answer your question:

When I was at the Arnold's, my opponent tried to use the elbow-to-thigh method of guard-breaking.

"What luck!" I thought. "His posture's way up there and he clearly doesn't know how to break a guard!" So I go for an over-the-shoulder sweep and the fucker shoots his arms under my legs, passes my guard, and it all goes downhill from there.

For this reason I'm a closed guard advocate. I'm not saying hang on for dear life, but don't be a whore like Yrkoon and open your legs at the drop of a hat. I'm smarter today; while I don't go for the OTS sweep right away, it's the ultimate goal. I'll sit up into my opponent and begin working their arms, going for overhooks or something similarily scary. If they push back into me I can work a guillotine or, if I'm really in my game, I'll open my guard and roll back, using my shins in their armpits to throw them forward. From here I can usually get enough space to start working sweeps of some variety, although my preferred one is still the over-the-shoulder.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 11:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd is correct, never underestimate your opponent just because he is trying to do, what you may consider, a "rookie move".

Unemployed

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THIS IS FANTASTIC DISCOURSE

Reward #3:
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    7/01/2004 1:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mmmmm....
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast