Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 12:44am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a lot of teachers/instructors have a problem with their students being exposed to other methods or techniques. Believe it or not, BJJ instructors can be the worst, they get upset if you even cross-train with another BJJ school. Brazilians have some very peculiar politics when it comes to jui-jitsu. Almost as peculiar as their taste in music (BJJ guys, especially the ones from Brazil, LOVE gangsta rap. And no, I have no idea why).
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 12:52am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can believe this. Though my teachers don't appear to be like that at all. Nick works harder than anyone, and he's constantly cross-training. Steve likes to talk about innovation. There's no BJJ "nutriding" there. I think most of it comes from the need for the Gracies to prove right away that what they were doing was really important. Because of that, they had to do a lot of that "BJJ is all you need" stuff. If they couldn't prove that you could win with their stuff alone, it might never have attracted any attention at all, no matter what its worth.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    1/16/2003 12:52am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Caveat: I just finished an entire bottle of Cabernet, so please bear with me...

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456