12/17/2002 10:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Teen pleads ‘no contest’ in hazing case

Posted on Wednesday, December 11 @ 15:59:14 CST

Second youth maintains innocence

The two teenagers accused of hazing a freshman wrestler at Troup High School chose different legal paths at a Tuesday arraignment hearing. John Steven Flournoy, 18, pleaded no contest to the charge. In exchange for not seeking jail time, the state prosecutor required that he admit his guilt publicly. Judge Jeannette Little sentenced him to one year probation and 120 hours of “productive” community service. She said that meant tutoring students or volunteering with children’s organizations instead of picking up trash along roadways.

Daniel Kyle Allen, 18, pleaded not guilty to the same charge. He was scheduled for trial Jan. 13 for the hazing charge and a charge of simple battery added Tuesday by state court Solicitor Jack Kirby. Allen and Flournoy, both seniors, were arrested Oct. 31 and charged with hazing, which the state defines as a “misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature.” The teens were permanently expelled from the Troup County school system on Nov. 13 after a disciplinary tribunal found them guilty of attempting to sodomize a 15-year-old freshman with the handle of a jump rope during a team meeting after wrestling practice on Oct. 21.

Since then, Allen and Flournoy have enrolled at schools in Alabama.

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Mcdojo.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

http://forums.delphiforums.com/testing12345703/start
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2002 10:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "attempting to sodomize a 15-year-old freshman with the handle of a jump rope"
    ouch!

"said and done"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2002 10:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second that Rellik.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2002 10:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    why is this charge hazing and not attempted rape or aggravated sodomy?

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    12/17/2002 10:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hazing and Martial Arts Training: A Correlation?

by Cecil Washington

----------------------------------

I came across a few anti-hazing web sites on the internet. I laughed, until I realized that someone else may look at my martial arts training as hazing.

The FIPG (Fraternity Insurance Purchasing Group) defines hazing as:

"Any action taken or situation created, intentionally...to produce mental or physical discomfort, embarrassment, harassment, or ridicule. Such activities may include but are not limited to the following: use of alcohol; paddling in any form; creation of excessive fatigue; physical and psychological shocks; quests, treasure hunts, scavenger hunts, road trips or any other such activities carried on outside or inside of the confines of the chapter house; wearing of public apparel which is conspicuous and not normally in good taste; engaging in public stunts and buffoonery; morally degrading or humiliating games and activities; and any other activities which are not consistent with fraternal law, ritual or policy or the regulations and policies of the educational institution."

Of course, the exercises, tournaments, testing ceremonies, customs and sparring ARE consistent with the spirit of the Martial Arts, since the Martial Arts are about COMBAT and CONFLICT, so we need to be in some kind of shape, have SOME tolerance for physical discomfort, be able to keep a level head in a confrontation, show respect for our juniors and seniors, and so on. That's why we do it!!

EXAMPLES OF HAZING

1. Some frats never do anything with the pledges. Hmmmn...This reminds me of how former teachers would not do the LET-ME-STAND-ON-THE-INSIDE-OF-YOUR-LEGS-UNTIL -YOU-SCREAM-BLOODY-MURDER inner thigh stretches with us. Or how at some schools, the head instructor NEVER teaches or participates in classes with the underbelts.

2. Calling newbies "pledgie" or any other demeaning name. Hey, have some teachers addressed you by your belt rank, not your name. It's not demeaning, but definitely not personable either.

3. Quiet times for pledges. I must admit, I wish that certain former teachers and classmates of mine WERE more silent!!!

4. Any form of demerits. One personal example: I have been scolded for only coming to class once a week, with attendance card in hand, after you told the guy you can only come to class once a week BECAUSE I HAVE A WIFE AND SMALL CHILD WHO NEED ME.

5. Requiring pledges to call members Mr., Miss etc. Well, don't we call blackbelts "Sir", "Ma'am" or by an Asian title, even if the blackbelt is NOT Asian.

6. Harassment/verbal abuse. I've been harassed by an ex-teacher for studying under someone in the past he didn't like. Another teacher scared me because of his obsession with a former student.

7. Scaring pledges with what happens in the initiation. I've heard horror stories about what goes on for some blackbelt tests, and taken some pretty demanding belt tests as well.

8. Depriving pledges of privileges. Like the "privilege" to have a LIFE outside the martial arts.

9. Asking the pledges questions under pressure. Has anyone made you counting from one to ten in a foreign language while doing jumping jacks and/or pushups? PRESSURE.

10. Requiring pledges to wear ridiculous costumes or perform ridiculous activities. How about our uniforms? Or, have you ever seen students perform katas in the middle of the mall to the tune of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony!! Yes, it does happen.

11. Requiring pledges to perform stunts that can be considered demeaning. A frequent, personal example: "Hey Cecil, let me use you to demonstrate the new jujitsu moves tonight. You're a big guy!!" (Bone cracking, thuds, and grunts at regular intervals.)

12. An overwhelming pressure to conform to the group. Some schools want students to turn their brain and soul over to the Master Instructor, whom you may NEVER leave without disapproval!!

So what's the point of all of this? I certainly hope that getting that next belt or learning that next technique is NOT the only reason you train. If so, you may be merely pledging instead of learning all the deeper things the martial arts can bring to you.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Fig Newtons are fruit and cake, suckah.

Posted On:
    12/18/2002 11:36am

supporting member
     Style: Buffalo Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unfortunately now the freshman is going to be the butt of many jokes.

"But some apes they gotta go, so we kill the ones we don't know" - 'Ape shall never kill Ape' by The Vandals
    Apu: "Oh! You have just been Apu'd!"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2002 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you said butt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2002 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This isn't the first time this sodomizing thing has happened. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest, and a wrestler at Sunnyside high school was sodomized with a broom stick there. I have no clue why this happens. We had no hazing on our wrestling team, with the exception of the occasional icy-hot in the jockstrap routine.

Posted On:
    12/18/2002 4:47pm

Style: lame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, what have I been telling you ROMO's! Wrestling, and BJJ are totally ROMOsexual. You turds just love to roll around each other and put your sweaty meat sacks in each other's faces! Mounting is a bunch of fun also for you grappling faggots!

I owned you the minute you woke up!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2002 5:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    balloonknot, you are the clearest case of repressed homosexuality i have ever witnessed, other than maybe fred phelps. remember, its ok to be gay. just because daddy touched you funny when you were little doesn't mean all homos are bad.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast