221278 Bullies, 4510 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/25/2004 1:46pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MMA vs. Boxing Safety (Fatalities)

I know of only one death in MMA in the last 10 years, but here is a comprehensive list of deaths in boxing for comparison.

If anyone has hard figures on MMA deaths, I'd appreciate it.

Attached is an Excel spreadsheet version of this info.
    Attached Files

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 12:12am

Style: anti-bubba love-kwon fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I actually researched this the other day, that one russian dude was the only one I could find in recent years, and he was already fucked up before he even stepped into the ring. He went against the doctor's wishes and faught. His training partners all said he would go unconscious during training sometimes, and he said he would sometimes blackout. But still he went into the ring, and paid for it with his life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 12:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    oh and I couldn't find an exact statistic on how many people have died boxing, but the closest thing I could find. 1 person in every 7000 boxing matches dies.

This includes amatuer and pro fights.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 1:12am

Style: Practical Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe, thats kinda funny. As a boxer, I'm not to worried about getting killed in the ring, but after watching a few of these MMA videos, I'm friggan terrified of getting my arms bent all backwards and ****. That **** just aint right. Now I gotta study BJJ or get ruled by it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 4:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try to get some wrestling and MT in there if possible Jammin James. The more you train in the more tools at your disposal.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 4:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Left-Hook
    try to get some wrestling and MT in there if possible Jammin James. The more you train in the more tools at your disposal.

It's definitely part of the plan now that I've been coming to this site. I plan on studying Shaolin Gong Fu for legs and other fluid strikes...I like to move more fluidly and I think the style will blend well with me. But MT is on the list.

I don't know much about various styles of wrestling, did you mean wrestling in general, or the same specific kind they do in college etc? Which is a good one for defending arm bars and all those things that make me twitch?

X

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 5:06pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    & People don't die as much in MMA as they do in boxing for simple reasons;

-In boxing, the only goal is to pound on the opponent's head as much as possible (yes I know there are body shots, but it's not like the judges give points for them...)

-IN NHB/MMA usually you lose/win by submission; even if you **** up 100%; yes, you break your arm... But you won't get brain damage from getting hit in the head for 10yrs...

Of course, I'm no expert, having not been in any of this stuff myself, but still...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 5:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by LLL
    [Byes I know there are body shots, but it's not like the judges give points for them[/B]

Body punching is easily 40% of boxing, and those damn judges better be keeping track. Body punching doesnt have the same impact on a MMA etc as it does in a boxing match 12 rounds long. It's weird the effect they have on you, even if you see all the shots and can brace the stomach and roll etc. they slow you down gradually and for someone whos plan is to keep the distance its hard to do when ya tire.

Of course if your in the shape, you can keep it up thru 12, body shots or no.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/26/2004 10:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Jammin James
    Body punching is easily 40% of boxing, and those damn judges better be keeping track. Body punching doesnt have the same impact on a MMA etc as it does in a boxing match 12 rounds long.
    Ok I have to say something here. Put Mike Tyson in grappling gloves, and have him hit ANYONE in the body, I don't care who the hell they are, it is going to break ribs. I have seen my boxing instructor who is about 230, fight NHB here locally and break the ribs of MT kickboxers, dropping them like a sack of ****. Even in K-1 when Francios Botha fought Cyril Abidi (I think that is how you spell his name) he really hurt Cyril with body shots. Another example is Mark Coleman fighting Akira Shoji in Pride Grand Prix 2000, he beat the ever living hell out of Akira's side, and Akira lost almost all energy to fight.

Body shots take A LOT out of ya I don't care who you are. I would love to see someone get in there and really work the body just to see how bad they hurt people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2004 2:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Left-Hook
    Ok I have to say something here. Put Mike Tyson in grappling gloves, and have him hit ANYONE in the body, I don't care who the hell they are, it is going to break ribs.
    I wasnt saying that it was not useful in MMA, but that I think a lot of MMA people if they had an opening to the head and to the stomach, they'd prolly take the head 9 times of 10. Which is not the same in boxin.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast