Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers for the info. Its mostly just morbid curiousity, plus I've just started back at doorwork and in this country we are not ever allowed to strike someone, even if they hit us first when doing security work.
    With the increasing popularity of grappling arts (wrestling was never big here, but Judo is and BJJ is getting a following) its something to be aware of.
    In this case the armbar is likely to be a surprise attack from being jumped from behind, and in that situation stopping fighting is just an invitation to get yourself bottled or similar.
    I guess the verdict is at a minimum it screws you up for a couple of months.
    I've got a friend whose elbows (and knees) bend back to about 15/20 degress past straight (yes, he is a freak). I'll have to try an armbar on him and see if he has enough flexion to survive them.
    Sociopaths are people too.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 4:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by mikus
    In a fight if you're armbarred to the breaking point, you're fucked. Run away. If they armbarred you while you had two arms, what makes you think you'll do any better with one?
    End discussion now.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 8:34pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    arm is ripped off and you are beaten with it.
    Kung Fu guys call that "Wookie Loses at Holographic Chess"

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tim Sylvia just lost to Mir in the UFC from an armlock. The referee stopped it. Sylvia wanted to continue the fight.

A few minutes later he was visibly concerned and not moving that arm. Back in the dressing room people said he could not lift the arm. He went to the hospital and it was confirmed, both bones in his forearm were broken. He is now looking at surgery, screws and a metal plate in his arm.

The reality is, someone is going to fight through that **** if they are high on adreneline. But in a short while they are going to be seriously screwed. Black eyes heal in a week or two. Broken limbs have a tendency to linger.

That being said I don't think people will fight through a compound fracture.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12