Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/22/2004 11:34pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKD in Canada (Ontario)

Hello, i was just wondering if anyone here knows any good studios which teachers JKD.

Im mainly looking in the Toronto, Hamilton area, but any other locations in Canada (Ontario) would be great also.

Besides looking for a JKD school, I'm also interested in hearing from people who have attended any JKD class to please tell of their experiences, Thank you

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2004 12:30am

Style: JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jeet Kune Do can be great if you find a good school. Try and think of whether you would be able to replace the letters JKD with the letters MMA in the schools name. Proper JKD is basically mixed martial arts. If you want to look like bruce lee look for Jun Fan Trapping/Kickboxing/Gung Fu

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 1:07pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school in newfoundland canada teaches JKD and BJJ. We do kickboxxing/ MT / empty hand arts on monday. wednesday we Bjj , Thursday we do all weapons (usally knife/stick) saturday its BJJ and Sunday its JKD but a mixed class could be anything. We do a fair bit of sparring usally after class when its on JKD days, every BJJ class we have at least 30 mins or Free style mma.

Our JKD sifu got his certification from insoanto academy, and for the 5 classes a week its only 30 bucks a month. PM if you want to know anymore

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 1:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been looking into this school, but have not had the time to check it out:
    www.kombatarts.com

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 1:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

JKD in Hamilton

Out of sheer curiosity, I thought I’d see what google comes up with when I search for “JKD in Ontario”. This thread came up as one of the links, so I thought I’d register and throw some info your way.

Yikes! I now see that this post is from 2004. So I’m justgoing to post some info, and if someone can use it, great, if not, that’s great too.

I am one of three authorized instructors that teaches and trains with a small club called The Hamilton Jeet Kune Do Institute. (hamiltonjkd.net) We have just re-opened classes to the public on Tuesdays at 8:30. We are looking to add a Thursday class when we have more students.

To let you know a little about what and how we train. You would think that it would be silly tos tate that “We train Jeet Kune Do”, but does seem to be necessary these days. For someone that is looking to learn and train JKD only, it is almost impossible to find. There are so many schools that train 10 different arts and also have a JKD class. I wouldn’t want to train with aschool that teaches JKD as an afterthought, or thinks that when you add Art “A” and Art “B” and you come up with Jeet Kune Do. We train EXCLUSIVELY in the art of JeetKune Do, as taught and developed by Bruce Lee.

We are not claiming to be anything other than what we are. We are three guys, who love to train, who want to teach, and learn and develop ourselves. We are NOT out to make a quick buck. The only reason why we charge is to pay the rent for the space that classes are held, and to hold JKD seminars with our instructor Sifu Lamar Davis. Sifu Lamar is certified under 5 originalBruce Lee students and a huge source of knowledge.

Apparently, I can't post links yet, so please correct these addresses below:

For more information you can contact me: todd"at"hamiltonjkd.net
    Or Steve Brown: steve"at"hamiltonjkd.net
    Last edited by Todd33; 2/17/2012 1:34pm at . Reason: spacing

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 1:40pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you are OJKD then?

Fine, but passive-aggressive seems to be a hallmark of the way OJKD guys write things. You have your way and good for you, but spare me the "where JKD is an afterthought" or "art A and art B" hyperbole

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 2:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! I reallylike how your reply drips with self-righteousness. (“Spare me” this, and “hyperbole”that. Shakespeare himself would applaud)

I knew writing a message to try and help someone find thetraining that they are looking for would only lead to someone jumping down mythroat for whatever reason. Pretty muchthe reason why I left forums years ago.

If labels (like “OJKD”) help you to THINK that you know whoI am and what I do, then go ahead. My statement about Art A and Art B, or JKDbeing an afterthought at schools was from my experience in my area. It wasn’t from some mantra that I heard andthought it was cool. It also wasn’tblanket statement for all JKD schools or concepts, or whatever other bannerthat they want to operate under. I wasn't even saying that it's wrong to teach multiple arts in one school, but I would say that it has caused a huge confusion about JKD to the general public.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 2:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome! I reallylike how your reply drips with self-righteousness. (“Spare me” this, and “hyperbole”that. Shakespeare himself would applaud)
    Says the guy that bumped a MABS thread that is nearly 8 years old. I'm glad I moved it to YMAS this will be entertaining.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 2:47pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD is confusing because it has become mired down by politics and assholes. What was supposed to be a philosophy towards personal enlightenment and development has instead become yet another dogmatic ****-pile with phrases such as

we are "t3h r43l JKD cos Bruc3 L33 did it this way"
    I have no beef with anyone following a path that suits them, even if that path differs from mine. But don't act innocent like you were putting an info entry into Yell.com when your post has that same "others do this but WE are REAL HARDCORE JKD RARRR!!" tone about it as the above (fictitious) example I used.

I am not self-righteous at all - I just call a spade a spade, and if you even take a casual glance over what you wrote you should be able to see why I raised an objection.

I teach JKD and it would not look anything like yours - that does not mean you are wrong and I am right, it just means we are going our own way just as Sijo intended.

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 3:15pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd33 View Post

I knew writing a message to try and help someone find thetraining that they are looking for would only lead to someone jumping down mythroat for whatever reason. Pretty muchthe reason why I left forums years ago.
    Dude, you just took a shot at another school. Do you really need me to point it out for you?

Posting your school is fine for informational purposes, but you got called out because you took the shot at other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd33 View Post
    I wouldn’t want to train with aschool that teaches JKD as an afterthought, or thinks that when you add Art “A” and Art “B” and you come up with Jeet Kune Do. We train EXCLUSIVELY in the art of JeetKune Do, as taught and developed by Bruce Lee.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast