Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Fighter

Posted On:
    7/07/2004 1:06pm

Style: Tai Chi & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The early shows had works. There are rumors that Rickson's fights were worked. I haven't seen them. Coleman vs Takada at #5 was clearly a work. Now it seems that if one fighter doesn't want to do a worked loss, the judges will just screw him over anyway. Ricco dominated Minotauro, but was declared the loser. The Mezger-Sakuraba situation was messed up.

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 2:55pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some of the early pride fights seemed kinda fishy, and many times the refs would completely **** all with their calls and interventions. but now? no idea.

when i found out that one of my favorite fights in pacrase, matt hume vs. ken shamrock, was fixed, i was in tears. well, not really.

but it kinda makes sense since the promoters were attempting to get the public, which were used to the "excitement" of professional wrestling, to get excited about NHB. or at least that was the explanation that i was given.

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 3:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDavis
    There are rumors that Rickson's fights were worked.
    That's a bit impossible to believe, seeing how Rickson's a great fighter and his opponent had nowhere near his level of fighting experience.

Come on folks, you're really reaching here.

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 3:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    If you guys don't know that DSE will fix fights then you don't know your MMA. I will say that 98% of the fights in pride are real but I'll be damned if they haven't fixed a few.
    Yep, I'd have to say Sakuraba threw the fight 3-times just so vanderlei silva could be a Pride champion....
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 4:17pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you watch Choke it's obvious that Rickson's opponents, at least in that tournament, where nowhere near his level. For a lot of the fighters, that tournament was their first MMA-match.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 9:35pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only thing I find about Pride that's "a work" are the ridiculous matchups. Call me a moron here. Call me someone that doesn't appreciate MMA fighting at it's best. Maybe that's the truth. But for god's sake why do they have to keep putting these fucking retarded Japanese guys in the ring with fighters twice their size, twice their ability and expect them to all pull a Sakuraba?

I own 2 Pride DVDs at home. I've got Pride 2, from waaaaay back, and I've got one of the more recent ones (Championship Chaos). In both, there are some really horrible, horrible mismatches. The UFC has great fight promoters and agents; a majority of UFC matches are pretty evenly matched, and I just find it more exciting to watch. There's a greater variety of techniques; there's a lot of standup, a lot of GNP and the occasional submission.

But Pride. Fucking Pride. Fucking tiny Japanese guys against Semmy Schilt. Nutjob proresu morons fighting Gracies. Suckjobs that get killed in under a minute by Rampage Jackson.

Now when Pride has quality fighters, those are some fucking good fights. Wanderlei Silva, Crocop, Nog, Fedor, Sakuraba et al. But those are main events. For the rest of the night you're treated to premium Pride-suckage. Goddamn at least I watch the Undercard in the UFC, but for some reason I don't think I'm ever buying another Pride DVD again.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 10:23pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know about Pride being fixed, but they do alot of record boosting. They feed alot of nobodies/cans to their top fighters like Wandy to boost up their records.

DO NOT LISTEN TO ME

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 10:25pm

Style: Kickboxing/Sub. Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    The only thing I find about Pride that's "a work" are the ridiculous matchups. Call me a moron here. Call me someone that doesn't appreciate MMA fighting at it's best. Maybe that's the truth. But for god's sake why do they have to keep putting these fucking retarded Japanese guys in the ring with fighters twice their size, twice their ability and expect them to all pull a Sakuraba?

I own 2 Pride DVDs at home. I've got Pride 2, from waaaaay back, and I've got one of the more recent ones (Championship Chaos). In both, there are some really horrible, horrible mismatches. The UFC has great fight promoters and agents; a majority of UFC matches are pretty evenly matched, and I just find it more exciting to watch. There's a greater variety of techniques; there's a lot of standup, a lot of GNP and the occasional submission.

But Pride. Fucking Pride. Fucking tiny Japanese guys against Semmy Schilt. Nutjob proresu morons fighting Gracies. Suckjobs that get killed in under a minute by Rampage Jackson.

Now when Pride has quality fighters, those are some fucking good fights. Wanderlei Silva, Crocop, Nog, Fedor, Sakuraba et al. But those are main events. For the rest of the night you're treated to premium Pride-suckage. Goddamn at least I watch the Undercard in the UFC, but for some reason I don't think I'm ever buying another Pride DVD again.
    I have championship chaos, thats the one were Renzo Gracie fights a no name wrestler and just destroys him. Same with Quinton.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 10:25pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that what it is? Whatever it is, it pisses the **** out of me. There ought to be standards for who gets into Pride!

Personally for me I can't wait till they stop sending in proresu suckers with no MMA experience. Love Sakuraba, but he's not worth the dozens of losers that clog up my TV screen with their suckage.
    Rad ki was made up by adolescents. I do not know who created trad ki but it was not made by adolescents. your an ass dude, Im not being a little bitch you are, your past the level of a bitch. Your beyond Bitch! If im easting my time with ki and psi, then your wasting time to prove frauds, and all **** like that! -theoutsider

Kick boxing is ok, but don't expect do beat a man like Rickson Gracie with that. You need a real martial art. You need Xing Yi Quan. -Emptyflower

The splits, how ever, have a few martial uses. Doing the splits for me, can put my fists in testical strike range.

dont ignore the Art for the Martial or else your just kick boxing

Yes i am serious, there are kicks that can block punches. we have them in Moo duk kwan.
    I want to learn how to use them in case my arm gets broken in a fight.
    what would you have me do? if my arm gets broke, not block punches? -sempi-stone

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2005 10:35pm

Style: aikido, taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about it, or UFC for that matter, being fixed. I have no data to go on, as I tend not to watch such silliness. However, I would tend to be skeptical of anything being presented to me via television, for a lot of prize money, etc.
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast