Posted On:
    6/19/2004 8:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A message for those who didn't come to the Chitown McThrowdown

Courtesy of those who did!

I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 9:11pm

Style: Brazilian JiuJitsu, Wing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got any videos?

Psi Vampire Bane

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 9:18pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course we got video, except for the first time I and Keinhaar rolled. Now, I normally wouldn't be so pissed, except it really was the best fight of the day. We rolled, and in the 3 minutes we did no one tapped. It was wonderful, except Xango doesn't know how to work a camera(he was educated later).

So yes, we have video. I'm in the process of putting it on my computer, then I gotta find some site to host it(any help in this regard is welcome).
    Seriously, most likely grabbing somebodies crotch like that is only going to make your situation much, much worse. Unless the person doing the gullotine has no pants on, then it's okay as long as they bought you dinner first. - Kidnemo

I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings - Max Payne

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 9:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mea Culpa! Mea Culpa! Mea Maxima Culpa! <accompanied by fist-beating upon the breast>

It really was the best roll of the night, too. Like six major reversals of position kind of good.

I'll repost my recap of the evening here.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 9:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, yes: from the left: OneWingedAngel, keinhaar, Xango.

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 9:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Repost from the McCountdown thread:

Predictably, we had a good time. IIRC, we started with keinhaar getting a light-speed tutorial in boxing from OneWing, and then going a round just to get the feel for it.

After that, OneWingedAngel and Xango faced off for a round of kickboxing-with-throws, light face contact, no elbows. Ended up being mostly kicky, followed by punchy, or sometimes punchy first. There was a clinch, in which I did goofy things, and I did manage to pull of a couple of kick reversals, only one of which was sufficiently unretarded to work on a full-strength kick. My left leg is throbbing at the thigh from those Thai kicks.

Immediately after this, I went a boxing round with keinhaar, in which he did a lot of jabbing and I introduced the parry (remember keinhaar was about 10 minutes into his standup experience). About two minutes in I was gassing so hard that I was going to lose my breakfast if I didn't call it, which I did.

This followed with some guard sweeps and passes, as an intro to rolling mode. Some of this is on film but I doubt it'll make the interweb.

Next was an epic roll between OneWingedAngel and keinhaar. Now, a confession: watching a whole fight through a monitor screen that says "PAUSE" in white letters in the middle is retarded. Nevertheless, that's what I did. I have a great clip of keinhaar and OneWingedAngel sitting up and panting after the fight that was the highlight of the evening. I don't remember who won, or how, I merely remember watching these two flip each other a round half dozen times. You will never get to see, due to the aforementioned retardation. I shall take my beating with stoicism.

At this point keinhaar and Xango climb into gis and get T3h gr4pll3. I blocked an early shot (teh 1n+ernal!) and worked around a bit, nearly landing a crucifix (which was one of those "oh, yeah, this is a crucifix hold isn't it oh there it goes" moments) before getting thoroughly backmounted and choked for the tap (it was actually a forearm smother, but the effect was much the same, having already rolled over on him and climbed back forward to try and throw it). Now, why didn't anyone tell me I could turn kesa gatame into a guillotine *before* I started rolling?

keinhaar and OneWingedAngel rolled again at this point, gi-less, and I followeed them around with the camera.

Next I rolled with OneWingedAngel, which was an exciting fight. I threw him, somehow (I remember thinking "waza-ari!" ) and got side control followed by a mount, which he swept , ending up in a bizarre north-south leg-tug that could best be described as "is one of these a leglock? Auugh! let go of my legs!". Finally got mount back and patiently extracted an Americana for the tap. OneWing fought liked a tiger, and gave up 60 pounds to me in the match.

We talked over a few throws: O soto gari, uchi mata, tai otoshi, uki goshi and o goshi. The judokas are nodding their heads going "yep" right now, while others are going f#$%%$king Japanese what the hell are you trying to say? The last three are all much alike, varying in that one uses the ankle, the other a hip-twist, and the last a hip-lift.

This was enough excitement for me, and I manned the camera as OneWing strapped on gloves, keinhaar strapped on headgear, and OneWing played an MMA game against keinhaar's BJJ defense. I'm sure they can tell you all about it, both rounds

My thigh isn't showing a bruise yet but it's gonna, but the rest of me is in pretty good shape: thanks guys! I would've liked to have more people to spar with (looks around at all the people who said they'd be coming and then didn't show) but I had a great time and we'll definitely be doing it again.

This website r0xx0rs my kn0xx0rs.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 9:42pm

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: A message for those who didn't come to the Chitown McThrowdown

Originally posted by Xango
    Courtesy of those who did!

Good thing we will be doing it again sometime, so you will have a chance to regain your honor, treasonous ronin!
    Which is who?
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 9:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OneWingedAngel, keinhaar, Xango.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 10:08pm

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No offence,but you look like you have double chin?
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 10:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a reason that photo is in high-contrast black and white! :-)

In the original you can barely see my face from the glare. What you're seeing is an effect of how stubble grows in on my face. I *can* turtle my head back and make skin from my chin fold over (how attractive!) but no, I don't have a double chin.

For that matter, I also look like I have a black eye, which isn't true either...
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast