Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Easily Distracted by Food.

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 10:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paul Vunak is not, to my understanding, associated with SBGi. I think there is this misconception because Matt Thornton may have trained with a PFS JKD person before founding SBG.

SBG does not teach trapping in the WC sense. SBG teaches the clinch taken from wrestling. My understanding is that this is these two are very different.

A person's lineage has no direct connection to the person's ability to coach or to what the person's ability are. Is it worth training with the person? Try it and find out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 11:45am

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In JKD there are 5 basic angle's of attack, there are many more but the first 5 is what to expect from someone who is untrained and they are the most common angles at which people strike at.

angel = angle small spelling error , sorry

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 11:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lineage has alot to do with the person skill , Especially if your under insoanto certification. You have to know all the history behind the arts and the terms as well as having the proper teaching skills to become certified under Danny Insoanto, Its somthing that takes alot of effort and time.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 12:44pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trapping is just a range, between punching and grappling. It's a range not commonly trained by most arts though, which is an advantage. JKD Concepts trapping shoud incorporate both Muay Thai "clinch" and WC-style trapping.

If you're reluctant to name the instructor in the open forum, send me a PM and I'll tell you if I know anything about the guy.

Teaching ability varies within the PFS, as it does within any organization. All the PFS accredtied people I've MET have been very good, but I KNOW there are a couple of PFS near-McDojos out there.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 1:13pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ya, what JKDchick said......

Try to learn the trapping range, not necessarily the "traps". You could sit there and spend a shitload of money and time learning pak sao to lop sao and ****, but that wouldnt make you a good clinch fighter.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 1:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bah i talked about the ranges also /cry
    Last edited by ChrisJKD; 6/18/2004 1:22pm at .

***ned

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also one thing to consider is that Paul Vunak no longer teaches the same system that he did years and years ago. What he teaches now is sort of an abridged JKD, whereas before, the system was huge in terms of curriculum. It would probably be better for you to find an instructor who was part of the "old school" Vunak JKD.

Either way, I don't think too highly of PFS, but it's definitely better than a lot of things out there.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 3:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy's name is Kevin, I think his last name is either Jack or Johnson, I don't remember. I couldn't find his name on that website, but I don't doubt he's a ex student of Vunak. He and SBG have very different views on wing chun trapping, SBG think it's useless and want to progress past it, Kevin thinks that it's very effective and the trick is to only take the good parts of WC trapping and leave the rest.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The SBG is correct. Trapping should be taught as a range. Ive done all those JKD trapping routes and training that **** should be regarded as self perfection. Most of your training should be towards the self preservation side. Which any one of Pauls guys would undoubtingly have. When entering trapping range and a obsticle comes in your way (hand, arm) you have to deal with it. Trapping is a way of dealing with it, but its not as easy as it is to change the line of attack. Be it from straight to hooking, or simply just attacking the low line to get the defender's hands to drop. The traps are only taught so you can reach your goal, which is grabbing the guys neck. So you can apply your EKH's. There are other routes to travel other then traps. But it is good to know, just not concentrated on.
    Last edited by 5FingazofDeath; 6/18/2004 3:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/24/2004 9:49pm

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think that he does have connection to sbg. he trained tom cruse who trained matt thorton. i think that is how it goes. i could be wrong
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast