i see...

1st degree Black Belt in Kajukenbo Original Method

Posted On:
    7/15/2004 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimura was the best. Gracie beat that first dude, but would have lost if it had been on a tatami mat, and on the street, he would have been dead. Pride is an interseting thing, enduring two broken bones without tapping! Yikes!
    "I'll Try To Be Nicer, If You'll Try To Be Smarter "

"When You Are Standing on the Edge of a Cliff a Step Forward Is Not Progress "

"Stonehenge, where the demons dwell, where the banshees live and they do it well..."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2004 7:44am

Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love how Helio and Kimura have two completely different versions of what happened in that fight.

Kimura did say that if Helio lasted longer than 3 minutes, he should consider himself the winner. The fight ended after 13 minutes, Kimura then backtracked and said he had agreed to not take Helio down for 10 minutes to give some entertainment to the crowd. :rolleyes:

Helio's version is that he had promised his corner, which was Carlos if I remember correctly, "that if Kimura catches you with a good move, you tap out". In the middle of the second round, Kimura was able to catch Helio on the side, almost on his back, and crossed both legs around his waist and squeezing, putting a lot of pressure on Helio's ribs and stopping his lungs from expanding. He was trying to choke Helio with his arms, but Helio was blocking with one hand. Helio felt he was going to pass out, and remembered the promise he made, but thought that it's not a good technique because Kimura couldn't sustain that pressure for long. Helio didn't tap and passed out.
    Kimura was getting tired though, and had to let go, when he did, Helio came too, but not before Kimura had gotten into mount.
    Then he caught Helio in an armlock he had caught him in 10 or so times before. Carlos was worried that he wouldn't tap this time either and break his arm, so he threw in the towel.

We'll probably never know who's right and wrong, I will say that the Kimura isn't impossible to get out of. I'm freakishly flexible in the shoulder joint and I often manage to wiggle myself out of a Kimura because the opponent have to change his position slightly to get more space to bend my arm.
    Helio seems more humble and acting less like an idiot about the fight, saying with a smile that he would be embarrased if he tapped because of some pressure on his tummy. With that and Kimura backtracking on his statements, I'm more inclined to believe Helio's version, or at least lend it more faith, but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Marek; 7/26/2004 8:21am at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12