Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 9:44am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dad View Post
    Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and just wanted to add my two cents in this topic. I am 51yrs young, and have had the pleasure to train under Grand Master Suk ku Kim of Tae kuk Mu Sool many years ago 1980's.
    First I'll tell you his english is not so good, so talking to him is rather a challenge however his training is straight up, and to the point.
    Help me out. I asked the last person who trained with him to help me verify his claims to royalty as well as verify his claims of links to Hwrang. The man never got back to me. I would still like verification. If he needs to write it in Korean, then that is fine.

Else, simply coming on here and saying that it is not McDojo, is not enough. Not trying to sound like an ass, but we have heard many people come on here to "defend" their investments. As of right now he is still under scrutiny because of the claims he makes about himself and his art.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 11:44am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Koreran Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKMS!

@Miguksaram,
    Not sure what it is I can give you as if you read my post I trained under him in the 80's, and he was teaching Traditional Korean Martial Arts, which as I stated was a well rounded balance of Korean Arts that were passed down to him. As far as how far back or from who, I can't say. I did not do a background search then as info was limited as there were no Internet then, however I could care less if he was from Dynasty. All I know is that he gave me what I needed. So it leads me to ask what your fears about him are.
    There are a million Dojo's with teachers that can teach what you need, provided you take in what they teach. If you are looking for a Dojo with a Prestige, you may find one at a large cost, but most are watered down.
    I can't say what he is doing now, other than just say he did his job well in teaching me the Arts back then.......

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 1:49pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did not do a background search then as info was limited as there were no Internet then, however I could care less if he was from Dynasty. All I know is that he gave me what I needed. So it leads me to ask what your fears about him are.
    I have no fears about him whatsoever. I am simply trying to get the truth about who he really is. Is it safe to assume that he never mentioned his royal blood line while you trained under him?

It seems there is a possibility of him embelishing his background in order to gain more students under false pretenses. This too me is wrong and a lot of people here is wrong. An interview with another student told us that he relies on under belt and Jr. Instructors to teach this ancient art which he openly admitted was TKD/HKD mix. So there seems to be a lot that just don't add up.

There are a million Dojo's with teachers that can teach what you need, provided you take in what they teach. If you are looking for a Dojo with a Prestige, you may find one at a large cost, but most are watered down.
    Right and for the most part they are upfront with who they are and what they teach. This guy does not seem to be on the level.

As for watered down, well that is in the eye of the beholder. I could very well walk into the TKMS school and think that is watered down...I could also walk and think it is hardcore. Totally depends on my frame of reference.

I can't say what he is doing now, other than just say he did his job well in teaching me the Arts back then.......
    So back when you learned he was still teaching classes himself or did you learn under someone else that was a higher rank?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    11/29/2010 4:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While training with Kim, he did most of the teaching, though we did get some upper Blackbelt students teaching, and doing warmup exercises, but mostly he was doing the teaching. The training I received was Mixed Korean Arts, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Tang soo do, Hwrang do, Mu Sool type all mixed together to give a well balanced defense, and really is not a secret ancient art of his own. I trained with Grand Master Kang in Sacramento (Mung Kru Kang) while living there before moving to Modesto and training with Kim, and did see alot of alikes styles, but really never dug into his past. He did not speak very good english then, so having an in depth conversation about where his roots were from, No. His Dojang was filled with pictures of his past training from the time he was very young in Korea, and what looked like he might have been an instructor in the Korean Military, but yeh know, it never crossed my mind. I got good instruction, and he was always there for me so I went with it until he moved to Sacramento, then that was it as I could not comute from Modesto 3 to 4 times a week. Thats where my trainnig ended. I wish I could be more help. Have you asked him, in person?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 4:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats where my trainnig ended. I wish I could be more help. Have you asked him, in person?
    Yes, I have sent him 2 emails in the past as well as called and left a message for him. I never heard anything back. I'm sure if I was to mention that I want to buy his long distance training, my phone would have been ringing right away. Alas, I didn't.

His website openly said at one time to contact him on proof about his lineage, but when I did nothing was returned. It is what it is. I personally forgotten about this until some necroed the thread back to life. Not that I lost any sleep about it until then, nor am I really going to repush the issue again as my plate is full with Korean history studies as it is.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 5:13am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKMS

I hear ya. I guess it is what it is. In my past training with different schools have had some really bad dealings with Schools that just screwed me and alot of other folks. I entered a contract with a Well known Master/School, and after a month of training, went to class one day and Poof, they had moved the school to Texas with No warning, burning every student enrolled, and this is a Well known Art, living on the spoils of the remains to this day......Others were hooked into contracts they could not get out of,
    so yes you have to know what you're getting into, and yes, if someone makes a statement of origin, better be able to back it up. These days I don't sign any contracts with anyone, and train with small groups in like styles.
    On that note, I can happly say, the best training a received was from the small dojangs with the teachers that loved to teach and loved and respected their arts.
    Thanks for the chat and good luck,
    Big Dad

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 5:18am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeh, just a quick question. What style of Arts do you partake in ?
    Thanks,
    Dad

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/30/2010 3:55pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeh, just a quick question. What style of Arts do you partake in ?
    Thanks,
    Dad
    Sorry to hear about being burned. Feel free to mention their name and school here and we would be happy to look into outing them so others don't suffer the same fate.

I have been in the arts for 30 years, 26 of them being in Korean arts with my focus on TKD and Kumdo and a small 5 year focus on TSD. I have crossed trained in Arnis, Kosho Kempo and Taiji during this time. The last 7 have been in Shorei-ryu Karate and Shotokan as well as my continuing studies in the Korea arts.

I have recently in the last few years picked up on studying Korean history focusing mostly on early Korean history of Three Kingdom era (57 BCE-onward). I am looking to turn some of that focus on the Japanese Colonial era of Korea to help lay to rest some of the claims of the original founders of TKD.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 8:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKMS

Hey Thats cool. I have a fond liking for the Korean Arts. My training consist of Tae Kwon Do/Tang soo Do, Kuk Sool Won, and Kims Mixed Korean Martial arts...
    This was in the early 80's after I suffered a back injury, and studied for 10 years until the kids came along and Schools were too far to train. I am at a point in life now that I want to re-kindle my love for the Arts.

I live in Northern California, and schools are far and few, but I did find a school in Santa Rosa,Ca (1hrs away) that teaches Combat Hapkido, so I'll ask if anyone knows anything about Pellegrini Martial Arts, who claim to teach Combat Hapkido under the International Combat Hapkido Federation?
    Any help would be great.....
    Sincerely,
    Big Dad

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 9:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Thats cool. I have a fond liking for the Korean Arts. My training consist of Tae Kwon Do/Tang soo Do, Kuk Sool Won, and Kims Mixed Korean Martial arts...
    This was in the early 80's after I suffered a back injury, and studied for 10 years until the kids came along and Schools were too far to train. I am at a point in life now that I want to re-kindle my love for the Arts.

I live in Northern California, and schools are far and few, but I did find a school in Santa Rosa,Ca (1hrs away) that teaches Combat Hapkido, so I'll ask if anyone knows anything about Pellegrini Martial Arts, who claim to teach Combat Hapkido under the International Combat Hapkido Federation?
    Any help would be great.....
    Sincerely,
    Big Dad
    You will get a mix of yay's and nay's on Pellegrini. Many HKD people do not like him simply because he teaches very basic HKD and proclaims to have a master's rank, when he is said not to have even made it to a 4th dan.

My personal view point is that I worked with one of his black belts several years ago at a seminar and frankly was not impressed with his HKD skills. However, this could have been 1 out of 1000, who knows.

Your best bet is to just try the class and see what you think.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast