Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 1:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kuk Mu Sul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thats very cool about the Throwdowns. I hadn't heard of that before. I'm probably not the best candidate to prove any point though. Maybe the difference in mind set that I kept after all these years. I don't do competitions, I train for myself. If a fight comes my way, so be it, the truth will be told then. I'm a pascifist though and would only fight to defend myself or someone I care about, not to prove anything. I know this sounds odd on a website for fighters, but hey, all I can do is be true to myself.

I'll look back into your previous posts and see if I can find the questions you mentioned and if I can add any answers.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewSanchez
    Thats very cool about the Throwdowns. I hadn't heard of that before. I'm probably not the best candidate to prove any point though. Maybe the difference in mind set that I kept after all these years. I don't do competitions, I train for myself. If a fight comes my way, so be it, the truth will be told then. I'm a pascifist though and would only fight to defend myself or someone I care about, not to prove anything. I know this sounds odd on a website for fighters, but hey, all I can do is be true to myself.

I'll look back into your previous posts and see if I can find the questions you mentioned and if I can add any answers.

The best part of TD's are not to prove you are a kick ass fighter, but to just learn what works for you directly. It's not Blood Sport and you are not there repping all of TKMS. You are simply getting together and exchanging techniques.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 7:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKMS is not a McDojo

You call my comment "blowing up"?? Lol.

Anyway, how pretentious, to think that you know anything about my martial art because you've attended one or two classes or maybe seen someone at a tournament, and to say that I need to prove anything to you. I'm not here to demo anything to you. I'm here to defend my art, that you called a "McDojo" without having anything to back your claims up with.

You all seem to think that because you've created a website, that gives you the right to judge martial art systems based on your theory that every school should train for MMA beatdowns.

Tisk, tisk, children. And as for what I've said being something to hold against my martial arts style, I can say whatever I damn well please and I will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 7:58pm

Style: BJJ ultra-noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by falcondraco1
    I'm not here to demo anything to you. I'm here to defend my art, that you called a "McDojo" without having anything to back your claims up with.

You all seem to think that because you've created a website, that gives you the right to judge martial art systems based on your theory that every school should train for MMA beatdowns.

Tisk, tisk, children. And as for what I've said being something to hold against my martial arts style, I can say whatever I damn well please and I will.
    Now you are being very demeaning with that "tsk tsk" thing. It won't score any points here.

Firstly, there is a difference between mcdojo and bullshido. It's often talked about on this website, and being a mcdojo is not necessarily a bad thing. Effective things can be learned from a McDojo. Some Bullies here forget that as well.

But the general theme here is that if you make a claim, prove it. If you think you are an effective fighter in whatever style, show up at a throwndown, post a vid, something. That's why people are looking for evidence that a style is effective. It's also the easiest ways to defend your art.

We've had occurences here where someone posts about a McDojo, and the owner comes on here in a reasonable manner (sometimes quite angry at first), then things settle down and it turns out that the original poster had a grudge, or was completely mistaken and was over zealous in posting without any kind of investigation.

So far from reading this thread, and looking at the website it seems
    a) is a mcdojo or demonstrates some of the characteristics of a mcdojo (but that itself isn't necessarily a bad thing)
    b) NOT bullshido (no dim mak, kumite, fake lineage, etc)
    c) Maybe not the most effective from a tournement standpoint.

Getting all hissy doesn't help your casue.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by falcondraco1
    You call my comment "blowing up"?? Lol.

Anyway, how pretentious, to think that you know anything about my martial art because you've attended one or two classes or maybe seen someone at a tournament, and to say that I need to prove anything to you. I'm not here to demo anything to you. I'm here to defend my art, that you called a "McDojo" without having anything to back your claims up with.

You know...I was really just going to let this go, but then you had to be an ass. So, game on. First and foremost I would like to request a copy of your GM Kim's documentation which proves he has lineage back to the Kings of Silla Dynasty. According your Instructor's website, it is available for the asking. The last known heir to any throne is some mix Japanese/Korean who was shunned by Korea due to being mix blood. The last queen who held the thrown was assasinated prior to Japanese take over. So if he is an heir, there is some prestiege coming to him.

Next, I would like to see the Chinese writing of your art. It claims to translate to "Hand in the hard and soft" When actually Tae Kuk Mu Sul just basicly translate to National Martial Art. Now there is a claim that links this directly to the Hwrang warriors. This type of claim has been disputed over and over and there is no hard evidence that can directly link any modern martial art to the martial arts learned by the hwarang warriors. Also he needs to revisit his history a bit more. Even if Kim is a decendant of King Gyungsun of Silla, that king's particular reign was only 8 years when he was abdicated (kicked out) by King Taeju. Which means his "royal" blood ended some time ago. Now let's get back to the effectiveness of the art.

I admit I can't tell the effectiveness from the pictures, though I do like the Klingon weapon that is being used in one of them. In essence it looks like a off shoot of Hwrangdo or Kuksulwon. So again, something like the TD would be a great place to come out and show. Again, the TD is more of a place to get together on a friendly basis and work each other's art. No one is out to get you unless you go there with a chip on your shoulder. Bottom line, don't get sarcastic with me when all I'm trying to do is explain what a TD is. If you would like I can certainly dig deeper into the art's history as well as GM Kim's to find out what is real and what isn't.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2008 9:58am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewSanchez

A throwdown isn't about proving a point. It is about seeing if yoru training is lacking and meeting some of the posters on bullshido. It is not a challenge match.

Please, don't play the pacifist card. That has nothing to do with not competing.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 7:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TKMS

I just found this thread while googling the system I used to train. I trained TKMS for three years under Dan Fischer, who I cannot even find on their website anymore. My school was outside of St. Louis, MO and Sensei Fischer held ranks in other things as well. Before and since that training I have studied many systems and have worked out in more than 100 dojos looking for another teacher like Fischer. There is none to found. I have lived in four states and trained in all of them and not found one instructor I can relate to or be influenced by. So this brings me to my point regarding whether or not TKMS is a McDojo...by most people's definition of McDojo, meaning a stripmall suite where uniforms are required and there are alot of kids taught there, then maybe it is. Fischer didn't teach the standard Master Kim curriculum and I don't think there are a lot of instructors that teach a pure art anymore.

I think the McDojo argument has been overly nawed upon. Judge a school or instructor by its students. Judge a style by how that knowledge has been passed down and maintained and/or expanded on.

With that said, I think I got lucky finding such a great teacher. I now focus my training in the Israeli fighting arts and Arnis and have grown far beyond my training days in Tae Kuk Mu Sul but I will say this about the art, that style taught me more about body mechanics and leverage and timing and distance than I have ever experienced elsewhere. Thanks.

Posted On:
    5/18/2010 7:49pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I posted this in the wrong place. Forgive my ignorance.

Posted On:
    11/28/2010 1:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Koreran Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tae Kuk Mu Sool!

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, and just wanted to add my two cents in this topic. I am 51yrs young, and have had the pleasure to train under Grand Master Suk ku Kim of Tae kuk Mu Sool many years ago 1980's.
    First I'll tell you his english is not so good, so talking to him is rather a challenge however his training is straight up, and to the point. If your looking for cage fighting style, this is not it. I have studied Korean Martial arts with some of the Best Masters of Tae Kwon Do, and Hapkido and Judo, and Then started taking lessons from Master Kim. His style is a combination of a well rounded system of kicks, throws, joint locks and pressure point PAIN. That said, Master Kim has taught things to me I can use to defend myself and family, in a split second to end an attack. Someone posted that you don't need to hear to learn. Seeing is learning and believing. Master Kim is a soft kind gentle man that would give you the shirt off your back, and Mess you up, should you decide to attack him or family. This is not a McDojo, but a study of What you make of your training. I had a hard time at first, thinking pretty much as some of you posters, until I gained a greater since of what he was teaching. I looked at this and said, I'm Not a gymnist, and felt the cartwheels and hand springs were totally off the chart. I had a bad back and knees and there was No way I could do what he wanted me to do, but hung in there, getting slammed to the mat til I could not walk. At that point he went to work on my pressure point areas in my back and legs. That was it from there, and my eyes were open taking in all he had to teach, and yeh, I had to put up with other instructors, thinking this is not what I paid for, and his Belt testing cost were about $80.00 then too, but compared to $200.00 per belt test and $800.00 for my Black belt test from a well known Grand Master in Tae Kwon Do (Thought I was paying for airfare back to Korea). All in all its "What You make of it for your needs" that are worth training with Grand Master Kim. He does have a Burger joint and works his Ass of living the American Dream. I say good for him. If by chance anyone here trains with him, tell him his old student Philip from Modesto, Ca says Hi.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2010 6:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Dad View Post
    Master Kim has taught things to me I can use to defend myself and family, in a split second to end an attack.
    He taught you how to handle a firearm?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast