Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    Not at all. He just mentioned groundwork in one of his posts, so I was curious about what that entailed.

Sorry I missed him posting that. I understand the reasoning for the question now. Thanks.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 10:03am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by co5
    The school is not looking to produce "fighters" for any competition.
    This is actually fine IF that is your goal. Modern Wushu schools teach for gymanstic and torunament purposes. Tai Chi for healt obviously teaches for healt.

The problem lies when you say things like this

But on the other hand we can use the hard or hurting techniques to help that same person to back off and leave us alone
    He wants to spread to the word that there is a martial art out there that promotes the healing side of martial arts, yet on the other side can kill.
    Most schools and styles are competition based and not much good for self-defense
    Throwing, thwarting throws of an attacking opponent, falling, and ground fighting are as much a part of Taekuk Musul
    as kicking and punching and high flying maneuvers
    You have crossed into the world of fighting.

Please don't go there okay? Pretty please.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 10:22am

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not like the "martial" in "martial arts" means fighting or anything like that, right guys? in addition, the one tournament you cited was attended by a Bullshido member, and he's calling it crap.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 10:42am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonster
    It's not like the "martial" in "martial arts" means fighting or anything like that, right guys? in addition, the one tournament you cited was attended by a Bullshido member, and he's calling it crap.
    Yep/

Well, we have discussed "martial" and we can argue this all day. What makes it silly is the minute you talk about death, kill, and Self defense there is only one definition.

So, they can't hid behind the OMG it is an "art."

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 10:53am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    So what is the school interested in producing?
    Profits to be funneled into the creation of a chain of hamburger stands. Then all the new fatties will want to get some exercise to lose weight, and what better way to get in shape than some taekwondo?

You see the evil genius in the plan now?

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 1:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kuk Mu Sul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least Rivington is amusing in his flaming.

I've been fortunate enough to travel around as a musician and I can say that most schools out there are not training "fighters", and by fighters I mean (again) semi-pro or pro. They are training self defense. Such is the case in our particular school.

It is Fake- where are those quotes from? They are not mine and not on the website for the school I attend.

I am going as the next step in my now 8 year recovery of a motorcylce accident. I am looking to lose the weight I gained, get back my balance, flexibility, range of motion and learn something cool. This is pretty darn cool, to me anyway. I'm doing good so far.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 3:38pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I've been fortunate enough to travel around as a musician and I can say that most schools out there are not training "fighters", and by fighters I mean (again) semi-pro or pro. They are training self defense. Such is the case in our particular school.
    This is what we were waiting for? What do you think is different/should be different about training a "fighter" and training someone to know how to fight?

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going as the next step in my now 8 year recovery of a motorcylce accident. I am looking to lose the weight I gained, get back my balance, flexibility, range of motion and learn something cool. This is pretty darn cool, to me anyway. I'm doing good so far.
    Take up jogging, cycling, or yoga. Funny thing is, you'll be a better fighter from doing those than from doing a TKD knockoff.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 4:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Remember this? It isn't flaming. I knew where we were headed.

Please don't go there okay? Pretty please.
    I asked nicely. Oh and the YOU is impersonal since, we are talking about the art itself.

This is the silly distinction we all dread.

Situational awareness is really the only difference between Sport and so called Self defense classes. All the other differences are fluff IMO.

It is Fake- where are those quotes from? They are not mine and not on the website for the school I attend.
    Yes, it is I think you need to re-read the entire website. Especially since the school website is hosted ON the World TKMS website.

They are from the website that is in the first post of this thread.
    http://www.taekukmusul.com/

Here is another website:
    http://shopper2.123city.net/WebAdPro...e=916-721-3997
    Which sends me right back to the OP's original link.
    TAE KUK MU SUL

THE COMPLETE MARTIAL ART. TRADITIONAL KOREAN STYLE

* MEN * WOMEN * CHILDREN
    * HAVE FUN
    * LEARN SELF-DEFENSE
    * LEARN SELF-CONTROL
    * LEARN SELF DISCIPLINE
    * LEARN SELF-CONFIDENCE
    * LEARN SELF RESPECT
    * LOOSE WEIGHT
    * BUILD MUSCLE & ENDURANCE
    The above also sends you back to the main website.

Last but not least your website that you linked to in you earlier post.
    http://www.sac-taekukmusul.com/

Go to the style history it IS on your school's website.

Is there another website or do you not understand the website? It is layed out pretty bad.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2008 5:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The school is not looking to produce "fighters" for any competition.
    I didn't say TKMS can't compete. I've seen plenty TKMSers compete.

I'm saying they can't fight. Or "defend themselves" if you want to use the euphemism.

If it's a fun hobby, fine. Friends of mine have done it. One of whom is an amateur san shou fighter taught by Cung Le, so he knows what's what. Since most people don't have his background, they take TKMS at face value. TKMS is marketed as a fighting system, so they assume taking a course will make them a fighter. It's a reasonable assumption.

It's not even really the techniques I criticize as much as the training methods and the marketing. If your school doesn't train to fight, it shouldn't make grand claims about self-defense that no one in the school can live up to.
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast