Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 9:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    specifically i'm interested in the level of contact, and the type of groundwork you do in sparring.
    Just out of curiosity, if they don't do ground work, does it make it an ineffective martial art in your opinion?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 12:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kuk Mu Sul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First our weather report.
    Sacramento is generally sunny and nice year round. Today, not so. On the way up to class (about 3 miles) there was hardly any traffic and it's right next to a mall. The parking lots were sparse. Today it is supposed to have wind gusts up to 60mph. I think most people were prepping their houses and fences.
    Anyway there weren't many people there today. No one did any groundwork or sparring. As I stated previously our school has an open floor but there is a specific evening class for groundwork midweek. I haven't been to it as it conflicts my schedule. I will make an effort to get the direct answer to Wolf's question.
    Class is open Saturdays 10-1. Before I began I talked to the school head Master (Klein) about this forum and showed him this thread. I will get back to his response.
    The first 20 minutes or so I stretched and warmed up while Master Price corrected the technique of an uncoordinated pre teen. I'm pretty sure his folks have him in Martial Arts for this reason.
    I went through the forms I have learned and worked on some stick fighting basics with our bag. One of the Black Belts took the young kid for kicking / striking drills and so I got Master Price to myself for a bit. I have just learned the basics of a set of hand techniques, so we refined my technique a bit more. I got an important phone call that I had to take so when I got back someone else was working with Master Price. Master Klien called me over to meet a new white belt and asked if I could help him with his falling, hand technique and some coordination drills. He observed while I worked with the newbie. Newbie had a limited time so he split. Right then, my friend and neighbor Chris, (a black belt) showed up and asked what I was working on and could he review along with me.
    Master Price came over and started doing the "detail work" on our technique again. He just had foot surgery so Master Klien came over to show us a piece we were missing. For the last 20 minutes Chris and I were the only 2 students with the 2 masters.
    Onto the original topic: These were master Kleins responses:
    • Master Kim does own a burger stand in North Highlands on Watt. Apparently he always wanted to have a burger stand and it's cathartic in some way to jump in and flip a burger. I don't really see anything wrong with that, honestly. I write music beds (tv commercials) for a living and co-own 2 other business. I also train in Martial Arts.
    •MonkeyScrotumCleaning.tvMaster Klein trained with Grandmaster Kim some time back and so did Master Price. He does participate less in the teaching than he used to. Master Klein told me he was impressed enough with Master Kim to train to the level of master.
    • The prices of his school and testing are higher than ours.

So in all honesty his school may fall into the McDojo category. I don't really know. I know I like training where I am at now. I feel I am learning something and not wasting my money.

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 12:19am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakamonster
    Great! A few things might happen; you'll read some of the articles and threads and become disillusioned with your current martial art and look for something less "traditional", you'll read some of the articles and threads and talk yourself into thinking that your martial art is better than the dirty streetfighting we laud, or you'll have a lol.
    I doubt I will be disillusioned as this isn't my first study and won't be my last. I do hope to get some background on other things too. I like dirty street fighting too!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 7:07am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by co5
    It's not 80 dollars a grade. The Jiu Jitsu place around the corner is 200 a month.
    Are you referring to Cassio Werneck's school or the Rickson school? In either case, it's about $120 a month, not 200. Or do you mean one in Citrus Heights?

I have a couple friends who took the TKMS classes at the ARC in Davis. Mostly for the hell of it. Neither of them believed in the techniques or training methods much. One of them just remained a white belt because he thought it was more comfy than the colored belts and Master Kim didn't have a problem with it.

The tournament at UCD is just a TKD tourney. I volunteered there once so I could watch my friend compete without having to pay. To his credit, Master Kim never tried to hide the fact that TKMS was his own martial art and that it was basically TKD with some Hapkido. Also, his burgers aren't bad at all.

Apart from that, I'm really only seeing the usual "our art is the best" spiel that every school has. It's pretty much par for the course as far as Korean MAs go. I wouldn't train there, but without astronomically high rates, crazy contracts, and black belt clubs, I wouldn't call it a McDojo.

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 1:55pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Are you referring to Cassio Werneck's school or the Rickson school? In either case, it's about $120 a month, not 200. Or do you mean one in Citrus Heights?
    Truth be told I have the information second hand but I'm referring to Groundworks on Auburn and Manzanita

Neither of them believed in the techniques or training methods much
    The methods work very well in application.

The tournament at UCD is just a TKD tourney. I volunteered there once so I could watch my friend compete without having to pay. To his credit, Master Kim never tried to hide the fact that TKMS was his own martial art and that it was basically TKD with some Hapkido. Also, his burgers aren't bad at all.
    I went to the last tourney at UCD and it was okay.

Apart from that, I'm really only seeing the usual "our art is the best" spiel that every school has. It's pretty much par for the course as far as Korean MAs go. I wouldn't train there, but without astronomically high rates, crazy contracts, and black belt clubs, I wouldn't call it a McDojo.
    The school I attend in Citrus Heights has no contracts.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 6:23pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    Just out of curiosity, if they don't do ground work, does it make it an ineffective martial art in your opinion?
    Not at all. He just mentioned groundwork in one of his posts, so I was curious about what that entailed.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 7:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by co5
    The methods work very well in application.
    Whatever floats your boat, but I wouldn't put any faith in those training methods. TKD sparring is not known for producing great fighters. Try sparring a kick boxer or boxer and you'll see what I mean.

I went to the last tourney at UCD and it was okay.
    I found it abysmal. Calling it a "tournament" is misleading. As a volunteer, I was assigned to judging. The process was meant to ensure that every single competitor got a medal for each event. Four kids in a division? Two gold medals, one silver, one bronze. Six kids? Split it into two divisions.

Sparring was your typical TKD nonsense. The little girls were cool 'cause they'd run screaming at each other, throwing kicks spastically. The one time I saw a solid shot land, the father of the kid who got hit started screaming about "excessive force" until the other kid was disqualified.

There's no genuine interest in creating a true competition.

The school I attend in Citrus Heights has no contracts.
    I hope you're aware that I never accused TKMS of having contracts. It's just a crappy martial art.

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 7:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever floats your boat, but I wouldn't put any faith in those training methods. TKD sparring is not known for producing great fighters. Try sparring a kick boxer or boxer and you'll see what I mean.

I hope you're aware that I never accused TKMS of having contracts. It's just a crappy martial art.
    The school is not looking to produce "fighters" for any competition.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 8:13pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what is the school interested in producing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2008 8:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pansies???
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast