Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 11:02am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

This doesn't look either effective or Korean. It looks like he saw too many kung fu movies (or maybe Phantom Menace)

I'm not a staff expert, but if a guy facing me had his staff behind his back and was crooking his finger at me from an awkward low stance, I wouldn't raise my lead foot and wait for him to attack. I'd whip his head, neck and maybe that front leg until he either passed out or found a way to stop me. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Don Gwinn; 6/24/2004 11:10am at .

X

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hit his f0king hand, since there's nothing he can don in that stance to retaliate...

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/24/2004 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He'd tell you he's waiting for you to move in and try that, so he can sweep that staff around. Of course, to do that with any power, he needs that hand that you're whacking. ;)

These cats is a little crazy.

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 4:29am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tae Kuk Mu Sul

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train TKMS with Master Michael Klein in Citrus Heights. I have only met Grandmaster Kim once at one of the Tournaments. Which, by the way are at UC Davis, not CSUS. He seemed nice enough although he didn't seem to speak English that fantastic. I asked Master Klein about training with him and the language and he agreed it was difficult. I suppose if you're learning technique you just watch then try to apply. I think the style is pretty cool. I studied Shotokan for a long time and found it to be quite restrictive in real situations. The joint locks, and pressure points are extremely effective as are the throws. I'm Blue belt now which is the 4th belt in (i have been there for a year and 3 months). I must add that we have an open floor which means I can show up and stay for as long as I like. I'd like to think my advancement has been due to coming 3-4 times a week for a couple hours each time. I have been told that belts get harder to come by as you are tested each time on the previous belt technique as well as the newer material. My friend just got his black belt there and he's been taking for several years.
    I've been to lots of schools where "upper classmen" or belts are teaching lower belts. That's not out of the ordinary. Neither is a student showing another poor technique out of the ordinary. I've been to a lot of schools and noticed very few have full or contact when sparring even with gear. Probably for fear of lawsuits. With the joint locks you have to have a willing person to "allow" the technique to a degree as they would wind up breaking a lot of bones.
    Finally: I don't know what Grandmaster Kim does at his school since I don't train there. I seriously doubt he's flippin burgers. :toothy5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 9:54am

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by co5
    I suppose if you're learning technique you just watch then try to apply.
    No. Without verbal instruction as well, this is hardly efficient or effective.

I think the style is pretty cool. I studied Shotokan for a long time and found it to be quite restrictive in real situations. The joint locks, and pressure points are extremely effective as are the throws.
    HHHHhhhhhhhhhhhahahah

'm Blue belt now which is the 4th belt in (i have been there for a year and 3 months).
    That's 3 gradings, at $80 each. They're killing you man.

I've been to lots of schools where "upper classmen" or belts are teaching lower belts. That's not out of the ordinary.
    No, but what is out of the ordinary is these "upper classmen" teaching poor technique. I guarantee that at any respectable school, TMA or not, those instructing you will have a good grasp of the technique they're teaching.

I've been to a lot of schools and noticed very few have full or contact when sparring even with gear.
    This is true, and an unfortunate for traditional schools.

With the joint locks you have to have a willing person to "allow" the technique to a degree as they would wind up breaking a lot of bones.
    Hey dude we invented this cool thing called tapping or yelling "FFFFF STOP". Try it out man!

Thanks for re-animating this FOUR YEAR OLD thread though.

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 12:18pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever seen a deaf martial artist? You don't have to hear to learn.

It's not 80 dollars a grade. The Jiu Jitsu place around the corner is 200 a month.

I guarantee you even at "respectable" schools, It happens dude. I haven't been to the school flamed in this thread. The upper classmen I have worked with seem the have "a good grasp of the technique" as you put it.

Oh yes.. that what I said! The technique is taken to the point of "working" and then you tap.

Your welcome. As I stated: I don't go to the particular school that was flamed. I study the style. I was just looking for more links on the style when I came across this board. I didn't look to see the thread was 4 years old. Anyway I think the forum is pretty good. I hope to stick around.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 12:29pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do you guys spar?

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 12:37pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf
    How do you guys spar?
    At our school the sparring is done in full gear and they are making contact. It doesn't seem to be full velocity like in an actual "street" situation and also no one here is training to fight semi pro or pro.
    I was in a motorcycle wreck a few years back and so my program is a little modified from the others. I'm working with Master Klein and my doctors on how to move into sparring and groundwork without injuring myself further than the pavement did.
    I'm about to head to class so I'll tell you what I see today in a typical Saturday class.

T3h R34l Gangnam Style!

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 1:13pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    specifically i'm interested in the level of contact, and the type of groundwork you do in sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2008 5:49pm

Style: CAR-AH-TAY

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever seen a deaf martial artist? You don't have to hear to learn.[/quote]
    Fair enough. Verbal instruction was the wrong way of putting it, but specific instruction is vital to learning properly.

Oh yes.. that what I said! The technique is taken to the point of "working" and then you tap.
    No. You said that in order to practice joint locks, your partners must be partially compliant.

Anyway I think the forum is pretty good. I hope to stick around
    Great! A few things might happen; you'll read some of the articles and threads and become disillusioned with your current martial art and look for something less "traditional", you'll read some of the articles and threads and talk yourself into thinking that your martial art is better than the dirty streetfighting we laud, or you'll have a lol.
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast