Sponsored Links Spacer Image

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/16/2002 7:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, like I said, I would kill to learn grappling, but there's just no time right now. There's a pretty good BJJ school like two miles away, too, which absolutely kills me. It's not like I'm doing something 24/7, but I work on average 3-4 days a week plus school, and I've already requested Tuesdays and Thursdays off for karate. Unless it was one of those places that's always open, I'd probably never be able to attend classes. Which sucks. Immeasurably.

Edited by - boyd on December 16 2002 18:21:33
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2002 7:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so go to karate on tuesday and bjj on thurs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2002 8:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure that he will be more than willing to share what he learns and would appreciate the extra practice.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    12/18/2002 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you don't go down to that BJJ place and learn some submissions, you'll be kicking yourself for a long time. I could throw out all kinds of techniques here but you really need to roll with the guys who do it right. Like the Nike ads say, Just Do It.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2002 3:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, like I said, I would kill to learn grappling, but there's just no time right now. There's a pretty good BJJ school like two miles away, too, which absolutely kills me. It's not like I'm doing something 24/7, but I work on average 3-4 days a week plus school, and I've already requested Tuesdays and Thursdays off for karate. Unless it was one of those places that's always open, I'd probably never be able to attend classes. Which sucks. Immeasurably.

Forget karate, it's just a series of conditioned reflexes that will allow any experienced technical fighter to make you "zig when you shoulda zagged." Just practice the punches and kicks at various ranges a few times a week, striking solid objects to build up your striking speed and power. I say go to the BJJ school, but THINK about the moves to learn how they work. Also study the moves, going through them SLOWLY before just trying them in sessions; that way you can go over them in your head, even unconsciously while you're asleep, and you'll find yourself suddenly understanding them and how to apply them. Finally, try to figure out what the OTHER person is trying to do first, before you react; the way to beat a wrestler, or anyone, is to try and figure out their strategy (i.e. what they're trying to do) and come up with the best counter-strategy; this involves both beathing their moves, as well as just wearing them out (let them think they're putting a hold or punch-etc on you while you're just blocking it and they just get tired).
    I'd say more, but I've probably said too much already and you'll end up using it on me :-)

If you want to

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2002 3:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote]

Forget karate, it's just a series of conditioned reflexes that will allow any experienced technical fighter to make you "zig when you shoulda zagged." Just practice the punches and kicks at various ranges a few times a week, striking solid objects to build up your striking speed and power. I say go to the BJJ school, but THINK about the moves to learn how they work and the theory behind them, as well as the muscles used; it's basically just a form of weightlifting and wrestling combined. Also study the moves, going through them SLOWLY, both in your head and with a partner, before just trying them in sessions; that way you can go over them in your head, even unconsciously while you're asleep, and you'll find yourself suddenly understanding them and how to apply them. Also try to remember that the other person is trying to beat you too, and will be struggling like crazy to avoid your moves-- this will help you anticipate and adjust for it.
    Finally, try to figure out what the OTHER person is trying to do to you first, before you react, otherwise you'll just be bouncing stratgies off of each other; the way to beat a wrestler, or anyone, is to try and figure out their strategy (i.e. what they're trying to do) and ADAPT your strategy to it, coming up with the best COUNTER-strategy that ends up with him working against himself by playing right into your hands; this involves both beating their moves, as well as just wearing them out (let them think they're putting a hold or punch-etc on you while you're just blocking it and they just get tired).
    Finally, NOTHING works if the other person realizes what you're trying to do, so it's best to cover it up with a "fake" strategy that just steers him right into your REAL strategy (this is called "bait and switching".)

I'd say more, but I've probably said too much already and you'll end up using it on me-- I wouldn't know whether to feel proud or humiliated! :-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2002 3:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote]

Forget karate, it's just a series of conditioned reflexes that will allow any experienced technical fighter to make you "zig when you shoulda zagged." Just practice the punches and kicks at various ranges a few times a week, striking solid objects to build up your striking speed and power. I say go to the BJJ school, but THINK about the moves to learn how they work and the theory behind them, as well as the muscles used; it's basically just a form of weightlifting and wrestling combined. Also study the moves, going through them SLOWLY, both in your head and with a partner, before just trying them in sessions; that way you can go over them in your head, even unconsciously while you're asleep, and you'll find yourself suddenly understanding them and how to apply them. Also try to remember that the other person is trying to beat you too, and will be struggling like crazy to avoid your moves-- this will help you anticipate and adjust for it.
    Finally, try to figure out what the OTHER person is trying to do to you first, before you react, otherwise you'll just be bouncing stratgies off of each other; the way to beat a wrestler, or anyone, is to try and figure out their strategy (i.e. what they're trying to do) and ADAPT your strategy to it, coming up with the best COUNTER-strategy that ends up with him working against himself by playing right into your hands; this involves both beating their moves, as well as just wearing them out (let them think they're putting a hold or punch-etc on you while you're just blocking it and they just get tired).
    Finally, NOTHING works if the other person realizes what you're trying to do, so it's best to cover it up with a "fake" strategy that just steers him right into your REAL strategy (this is called "bait and switching".)

I'd say more, but I've probably said too much already and you'll end up using it on me-- I wouldn't know whether to feel proud or humiliated! :-)

One last thing-- enter as MANY competitions as you can, and EXPECT to lose-- you won't be disappointed that way.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2002 3:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, he's been showing me a lot of stuff he knows, although I've never had a chance to actually practice it yet, so I wouldn't rely on it. I just figured it'd be a good idea to ask you guys since you have a lot more experience than him. Plus, I would prefer to kick his ass, THEN share the knowledge.
    Practice it on a dummy; just stuff a jumpsuit with old clothes, and tie some gloves and shoes on it. Also practice it in your head, thinking through each move. Also try to come up with moves of your own. Once you get a "head" for this type of thing, you can try it for real, but assume you'll lose every time, since that's the only way to keep a positive attitude.
    As for "kicking his ass" though, just keep that to yourself, since if you just know you CAN do it, that's better than actually doing it-- save the ass-kicking for actual contests where it counts.
    If you humiliate him then you'll just lose a partner.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2002 4:08am

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FYI Dan: did you know that you can actually edit your original post instead of sending it multiple times when you want to add a thought? There is an "edit" icon at the top of your post. It's getting a bit tedious to scroll through everything for one changed line.

Cheers

First, I'm gonna hit ya...then you're gonna fall
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/21/2002 2:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for "kicking his ass" though, just keep that to yourself, since if you just know you CAN do it, that's better than actually doing it-- save the ass-kicking for actual contests where it counts.
    If you humiliate him then you'll just lose a partner
    Nah, we're buds. He's whaled on me more than enough times in the wrestling room anyway.

Forget karate, it's just a series of conditioned reflexes that will allow any experienced technical fighter to make you "zig when you shoulda zagged."
    When I first started karate, I had my doubts. Then I happened to meet a gentleman by the name of Sherman Harrill, my teacher's teacher, and ever since I've been 100% confident in my art. It's a humbling thing when you actually meet the real deal.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast