Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 4:52pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Tenguru
    bushi51, do you train at Lloyd Irvins school?
    No, I train at Yamasaki's

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:52pm

Style: Punk Rock

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder how many BBs that Reylson's handed out. Does he have a comp team? Have any of his students won anything ever? It bears considering.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 6:00pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bjj.org lists only one black belt: Ken Gabrielson. But he was evidently one of the earliest American black belts, so this may have been before Reylson's McDojofication.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 5:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: isshinryu karate/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

an old student of reylsons

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    bjj.org lists only one black belt: Ken Gabrielson. But he was evidently one of the earliest American black belts, so this may have been before Reylson's McDojofication.

I went there. Before everyone starts to laugh please note that I new nothing of GJJ when I went, just seen the early UFC and decided I needed to learn GJJ.
    He gives out belts, if you pay him enough, but he won't admit he gave them. Several black belts when I was there, one about 17 years old, the other about 24. This was around late 2005 umtill late 2007. I didn't learn much there. They dont grapple eachother and one isn't allowed to compete. Its ALL about the money. Theres more...much more, but its just to much to think about now. I got conned, I conned others and stuck up for Reylson when others came against him. It is a sad chapter in my life, one I'm not proud of...I drank the koolaid and regret it so much.

I started to wonder about Reylson when he tried to force me to buy a mercades so that I would be "properly representing GJJ". I went to Cobra Kai then, where Adrian Ramerez, at the time a purple belt, schooled me very swiftly. I had given Reylson more money than a lot of people earn in a year, and had learned nothing. I was angry and hurt. I stopped doing any grappling and went back to TMA. (not that I was doing any real grappling to begin with...)

Its been a few years but I am back in Jiu Jitsu again, under a legit teacher. I am a white belt now, but I am earning it now and that is what matters. My teacher is a brown belt, but awesome, we roll every class. I would put any of his blue belts against any of Reylsons black belts, and the blue would probably win.

There is more to it, but I just get pissed when I think about it, and feel bad because I helped mislead good people preaching Reylsons line of BS. God I was a fool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 7:26pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike47446 View Post
    I had given Reylson more money than a lot of people earn in a year
    wow, that sucks.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 7:36pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike47446 View Post
    I went there. Before everyone starts to laugh please note that I new nothing of GJJ when I went, just seen the early UFC and decided I needed to learn GJJ.
    He gives out belts, if you pay him enough, but he won't admit he gave them. Several black belts when I was there, one about 17 years old, the other about 24. This was around late 2005 umtill late 2007. I didn't learn much there. They dont grapple eachother and one isn't allowed to compete. Its ALL about the money. Theres more...much more, but its just to much to think about now. I got conned, I conned others and stuck up for Reylson when others came against him. It is a sad chapter in my life, one I'm not proud of...I drank the koolaid and regret it so much.

I started to wonder about Reylson when he tried to force me to buy a mercades so that I would be "properly representing GJJ". I went to Cobra Kai then, where Adrian Ramerez, at the time a purple belt, schooled me very swiftly. I had given Reylson more money than a lot of people earn in a year, and had learned nothing. I was angry and hurt. I stopped doing any grappling and went back to TMA. (not that I was doing any real grappling to begin with...)

Its been a few years but I am back in Jiu Jitsu again, under a legit teacher. I am a white belt now, but I am earning it now and that is what matters. My teacher is a brown belt, but awesome, we roll every class. I would put any of his blue belts against any of Reylsons black belts, and the blue would probably win.

There is more to it, but I just get pissed when I think about it, and feel bad because I helped mislead good people preaching Reylsons line of BS. God I was a fool.
    Holy Crap, I was going to give you a hard time for the necro but I actually enjoyed your post. That sounds terrible, could you give an estimate on how much you spent per month on classes and such? What belt did you achieve there?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 8:26pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Best thread necro ever. Please, tell us more when you're up to it.

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 8:38pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: isshinryu karate/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    650 per month. i dont aknowledge the belt, i get taped every time i go to BJJ by the other white belts now...I'm a white belt

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 9:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn man, sorry. That's some expensive ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2011 10:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mike47446, I just checked your profile. You're not to far from me. I live just outside Indianapolis. I actually started BJJ at the club at IU Bloomington when I was in grad school there.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 8 LastLast