Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    No, no, no... I agree with you, its the winning of competitions as a condition on advancing that I have issues with.
    Schools like to have strong showings in tournaments though so competition is encouraged. I've heard multiple times of promotions being given if you win or place in a particular tournament, etc. It's not uncommon in the BJJ world. Schools may not require you to compete, but you'll definitely advance faster if you compete and win/place.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 1:48pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed, IF the WHOLE point of the system is about being an invincible badass COMPETITOR.

The reason I asked was because it takes so LONG to get a BB in GJJ, I just though it was because of a very demanding curriculum.
    The curriculum is demanding. You have to show without question that you can apply your skills. Hence the repeated reliance on competition.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Osiris
    Yes, thats what its about. Why else are you strangling people?
    Seriously, HOW can I argue with that ??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 1:57pm

Style: JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i didn't realize there was bullshido in gracie jujitsu. i think anyone who ever wants to learn BJJ/GJJ should start learning now, because i can see in maybe a decade, a whole slew of bullshido jujitsu. get it while theres still some real bjj out there!

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 2:08pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, HOW can I argue with that ??
    I can. In my engineering classes, I've heard over and over again that you don't TRULY understand a concept unless you can explain it to somebody else. I think the same holds true in BJJ. Being a good teacher demonstrates an understanding of the moves and of the game.

An example: I mostly train with blue belts. Their instruction style is to teach me the moves that have worked really well for them in the past. On the other hand, the first day I met Sergio Silva (black belt), he said, "Oh, you've got really long legs. Let me show you some moves that will work really well for you. I can't do these because my legs are too short." This showed an understanding of the game that could conceivably be lacking from someone who was "only" an awesome competitor.

That said, I don't think being a great teacher should be a requirement for a black belt, just another factor to consider.

Still, I haven't run into any high ranking belts who weren't also good teachers, so maybe this whole point is moot, anyway.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 2:17pm

supporting member
     Style: 5AF & Sub Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder what will be the next craze when BJJ gets too commercialized

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 2:33pm

Style: Operating Thetan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As long as particular GJJ/BJJ schools are merely duping people out of their money, and not actually promoting them to black belt, things probably won't turn into full-fledged bullshido. Those unfortunate few who are getting conned will never get to a point where they can claim to have really learned the art. They will end up poorly trained, with low ranking, and no competition reputation which would allow them to spawn a new bullshido dojo. When a bullshido GJJ/BJJ dojo starts promoting poorly trained students to BB, then that is when the real problems will start.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 2:40pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Tenguru
    When a bullshido GJJ/BJJ dojo starts promoting poorly trained students to BB, then that is when the real problems will start.
    Er, isn't that what this entire thread is about?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 2:44pm

Style: Operating Thetan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So have any poorly trained students actually been promoted to BB? I understand that the advertisement claimed you can receive a BB in X lessons, but has a BB actually been handed out to a student?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is that really the deciding factor for you? It's still BS.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast