Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You were expected to be able to "hang in" with the higher ranks, not HAVE to beat them.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 12:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Doing what we have been trained to do is ONLY part of being a BB, the other is being able to TEACH and DEVELOP what we have been taught.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You dont have to be able to teach ****-all as a black belt. Perfomance is what matters, unless of course you strive to be a good teacher
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 12:12pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Blad3
    You dont have to be able to teach ****-all as a black belt. Perfomance is what matters, unless of course you strive to be a good teacher
    So who does the teaching?

***ned

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blade, you're a fucking idiot. The black belt is ALL about teaching. That sentiment comes from Helio Gracie himself.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 12:40pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Believe it or not guys we've done this site before. Yes it is sad.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 12:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And what does the "familia" think about this ?

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 12:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ronin, Are you really qualified to teach if you can't apply the techniques you're teaching on people of similar ability?

All of bjj is about teaching to one degree or another. That's why brand new people walking in aren't tapped in under two seconds by everybody (except a few dicks). Even people like myself who have only been doing it for 6 months understand that.

As I understand, to get a promotion you don't need to beat everybody at your rank, just do damn well against them and be able to hang with those at the rank you're going to. It my school you also need to be pretty good technically at certain things. There are however some schools that I've heard of that won't promote you to blue until you win a tournament as a white. That may be taking it to far.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 1:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dochter
    Ronin, Are you really qualified to teach if you can't apply the techniques you're teaching on people of similar ability?

All of bjj is about teaching to one degree or another. That's why brand new people walking in aren't tapped in under two seconds by everybody (except a few dicks). Even people like myself who have only been doing it for 6 months understand that.

As I understand, to get a promotion you don't need to beat everybody at your rank, just do damn well against them and be able to hang with those at the rank you're going to. It my school you also need to be pretty good technically at certain things. There are however some schools that I've heard of that won't promote you to blue until you win a tournament as a white. That may be taking it to far.
    No, no, no... I agree with you, its the winning of competitions as a condition on advancing that I have issues with.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 1:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Osiris
    While teaching may be an important aspect, that should be taught seperatly from the martial arts instruction and not influence rank. Maybe an intructers course or something. If you're an invincible badass theres no reason to be wearing a purple or whatever because of some BS criteriia.
    Agreed, IF the WHOLE point of the system is about being an invincible badass COMPETITOR.

The reason I asked was because it takes so LONG to get a BB in GJJ, I just though it was because of a very demanding curriculum.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast