6/17/2004 10:43am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by ronin69
    Most schools have a STD curriculum.
    In other words:
    Are there set number of techniques/kata's that must be performed "proficiently" per every belt level to progress?
    Some places like Roy Harris's school have a written curriculum. Many schools are just based on what the instructor feels like. At a lot of places you're ready for your next belt when you are consistently beating all the other students at your belt level and either stalemate or occassionally tap the belts right above you. Of course beating these people usually means you are using your basic techniques effectively. Winning competitions is also a big plus...

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 10:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I ask is, IF a person picks up on techniques quickly, probably because he may have prior MA training, I am sure he can progress to BB at a FAR quicker speed than an "untrained" individual.
    Correct?
    While I know that is NOT the case to what Reylson is doing.
    I am not sure why its NOT possible, no matter how unlikely, to get a BB in GJJ in 3 years.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 10:59am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The reason I ask is, IF a person picks up on techniques quickly, probably because he may have prior MA training, I am sure he can progress to BB at a FAR quicker speed than an "untrained" individual.
    Correct?
    While I know that is NOT the case to what Reylson is doing.
    I am not sure why its NOT possible, no matter how unlikely, to get a BB in GJJ in 3 years.
    You're right. My previous training is allowing me to learn quickly and apply the techniques. It's going to depend on the person though. At the end of the day it's going to come down to how well you perform against other students and in competition at many schools. Just like in any system you can have people who know loads of techniques but can't use them under pressure.

To add to the above. If you expect to be a BB in BJJ you better be beating all the other Brown Belts you go up against. Since there aren't many Brown Belts around that means you're only going to face them in competition. At least that's my read on the promotion system. There are exceptions to everything, but I wouldn't want to be calling myself a Black Belt in BJJ if I didn't earn it by beating comparable brown belts.
    Last edited by katana; 6/17/2004 11:01am at .

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:08am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I remember at a seminar in Atlantic City, Helio, through a translator was making some negative remarks about such practices which I took to referring to the actions of some of Carlson's offspring. All I can say is that no one in Helio's line is to my knowledge involved in such bullcrud.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:13am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you realize how close this brings us to heated lineage discussions?

Now who's laughing?

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still am NOT convinced about the validity of defeating Brown belts and Black belts as a parameter for acheiving BB status in ANY art.
    Sure it should be a factor of some kind, but the degree of importance, I think, is overstated.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: boxing/muy thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why?

Humor me...

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I still am NOT convinced about the validity of defeating Brown belts and Black belts as a parameter for acheiving BB status in ANY art.
    Sure it should be a factor of some kind, but the degree of importance, I think, is overstated.
    Well in BJJ this sentiment is very common and accepted. It's a performance based promotion system at its core. If you don't perform it's hard to get promoted. It may be changing, but that's how it is at the schools where I've been.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are some that are great fighter and some that are great teachers and a rare few that are both.
    While I agree, the practical application of what you been taught is essential, I don't think that promotions should be based strictly on it.
    As most of us know, you need about half a dozen techniques to win competitions and I am sure that there are alot more than those in GJJ ( as an example).
    Proficient competitiors may favour X over Y and that may compromise their abilty to teach Y.

Many systems of MA that award belts have sparring as a crucial element, but NOT VICTORY in sparring.
    Heck, kyokushin BB grading are designed to make the Brown Belt going for black to fail and fail harshly, as a test of "character".

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I understand it, that wasn't an uncommon method of promotion in karate dojos a mere 20-30 years ago. Even the Dreaded TKD was described as being that way by my TKD instructor (he started in the early 1970's) In fact, that is part of the criteria at his school, although you are also required to recite rules and philosophy, demonstrate kata and technique, etc. Of course, in their case, "beating the other people at your level" is done in WTF point sparring, but the idea is the same with fewer techniques.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast