Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 12:10am

Style: JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

grappling techs from kneeling

It's the start of a match, and my opponent and I are on our knees, one hand on chest/shirt, one hand on lapel. What are some submission attempts/position change type moves that I can do from this position? I'm quite light, so probably no using hip power to throw him into bottom guard.

I usually just shoot in and try and get some sort of guillotine type choke, and if that fails, I pull him into my guard.

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 2:02am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion, submissions and "takedowns" from knees are completely pointless. You're never going to be in this position in a tournament or real fight, so why waste time on it? I'd rather start under someone's side control.

I usually pull butterfly guard, which my opponents pass in a couple seconds, and we go from there.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 8:03am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knee work is a drill and can be used to help you practice various moves with minimal lower body movement, it also adds a different element to clinch work.
    Its a drill, that's all.
    You can also try arm bars and lock too, like armpit arm bars and figure 4 wrist/elbow locks.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/18/2004 12:24pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If ya want to be a dick....pull forward and as your opponent sits down to resist reverse and push him straight back.....it does wonders for pulling the quads......oh of course lay your weight on him as he goes back......

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 12:09am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost always pull guard. I think it's ridiculous to fight it. Because usually it's more strength than anything on the knees, and I'm almost always smaller and weaker than the other person, so if they refuse to go to their back, I just go to mine. I hate seing people fight like that. One of 'em should just stand up and knock the other fucker over.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

I got an axe to grind

Posted On:
    6/21/2004 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: thai.kali.no-gi.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am assuming from context you guys don't
    work knee around drills like harimau silat?

Or do sliding lunges the length of the
    training area?
    let's talk about why fat-fu shall we?

Posted On:
    6/21/2004 7:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're talking about doing groundwork. We're not talking about the other stuff.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/21/2004 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Starting from your knees is the way to AVOID the really nasty Judo injuries that occurr when you start on your feet. It is a great way to transition newbies and midlevel people into sparring without having to worry about them A) destroying their knee from a failed/countered throw B) destroying their shoulder from a bad fall C) injuring their back from having 2 guys both weighing 200+ hitting the ground.

This is NOT to say that stand up sparring should be avoided, it is just to transition. Much like learning to crawl before you walk and walk before you run. I cannot count the number of times I have seen white belts go down with injuries because they were unprepared for the level of training. If you have not learned and practiced breakfalls a LOT, then don't do stand up that will include throws. It's that simple.

I don't like training much from the knees because often times it is simply a strength game, who can knock who over first. Or who will jump to guard first. You CAN execute Osoto Gari effectively from the knees, and you can sit back into a nice armlock as they try to power you over. You can use headsnaps, duckunders, and armdrags from wrestling. You can grab single and double legs without worrying about the other guys knee bending the wrong way. But my overall frustration is the lack of footsweeps and leg throws that I use from Judo. I do see however, that practicing that all the time leads to a lot of injuries. Best for beginners to avoid that sort of thing until they are in A) good shape and can take the abuse B) know their limits and understand the consequences of trying to stop a throw by putting your arm out, instead of breakfalling C) understand the dynamics of throws, falls, and where to put your body to protect things like your knees.

Posted On:
    6/21/2004 9:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My last successful sweep from the knees involved mimicking hiza guruma (knee wheel). I stuck my left foot out next to the guy's right side where he had his foot flat and knee up. I just grabbed the lapels and rolled him right over and into mount.

This wasn't from a standard kneeling position, but the one-knee position that BJJ guys usually start in.

Posted On:
    6/21/2004 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree that if the beginner doesn't have judo experience, starting from the standup is not a good idea. But I think having one person enter guard (from outside of it) is better training than fighting the strength battle on their knees. Some people seem to spend all their time fighting for the takedown from the knees, which has very little (if any) real application.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast