St. Pierre by strikes
    Trigg by strikes

Posted On:
    6/19/2004 11:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kimo got caught with a good knee to the nose...really expected to see a better fight out of him.

Baroni had nothing. I'm glad Tanner won, but WTF? Baroni spent his tank dancing on the way to ring. All sizzle, no steak.

Mir vs. Sylvia...well...ouch! Just OUCH!

Trigg looked good. A completely different fighter than the Hughes fight. Hallman did not have a good night. That boy got rocked.

Hughes looked good, but I thought it was much closer than the judges cards.

I would like to have seen St. Pierre on the ground. His standup was excellent. I expect we'll see more of him in the UFC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2004 12:54am

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by punchingdummy
    Kimo got caught with a good knee to the nose...really expected to see a better fight out of him.

Baroni had nothing. I'm glad Tanner won, but WTF? Baroni spent his tank dancing on the way to ring. All sizzle, no steak.

Mir vs. Sylvia...well...ouch! Just OUCH!

Trigg looked good. A completely different fighter than the Hughes fight. Hallman did not have a good night. That boy got rocked.

Hughes looked good, but I thought it was much closer than the judges cards.

I would like to have seen St. Pierre on the ground. His standup was excellent. I expect we'll see more of him in the UFC.
    Yeah that BJJ guy was so close to making hughes submit to the triangle. Not sure what happend there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/20/2004 1:06am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with punchingdummy; I thought that the Hughes fight was much closer than the judges cards indicated. I'd still give it to him, but Verissimo was leading until the final round.

On another note, we saw (at least I think we saw) two good examples of why steroids are a bad idea. The gains you make are not sustainable after you quit juicing and the mental component--which is becoming increasingly more important in MMA--has a far-reaching impact.

Now we know that Sylvia was taking steroids. In my opinion, he was used to working with a certain level of strength, which extended to knowing when he would have to tap for an armbar. With that level diminished, he failed to tap to something that actually fractured his ulna. You can chalk that up to adrenalin, but I think that juicing (or lack thereof) was a factor.

Baroni fought a disappointing match. He was significantly smaller than his last bout, which I also attribute to going off the juice. I believe that knowing himself to be markedly weaker than before had a definite negative impact on his confidence and psychological state.

Posted On:
    6/20/2004 7:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hadn't really though about the juice angle, but that might also explain Baroni's lack of aggression. He looked small and passive. It was weird.

Sylvia is still a tough SOB. Mir handled him in seconds, but Sylvia gained some respect from me by his not tapping and willingness to continue. That will be a good rematch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2004 1:59pm

Style: Internal/extern

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I feel the renaisance is ending. I think Sylvia just got caught. He would whoop Mir standing up. We've seen him get out of armbars by Ricco, and Sims got out of a Mir armbar. Maybe he can't adapt to his strength, lol

The biggest disapointment to me is Dennis Hallman. His 50 fights didn't mean much when he got punched in the face. When wrestlers are beating Pankration/Muay thai guys, I think the renaissance is over. When Hallman beat hughes, it get's your confidence in MMA up, but he hasn't seem to have improved. Just proves to me that I need the internal, as leglocks are obviously not enough, and you have to hit hard standing up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2004 2:58pm

Style: None.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by serious harm
    I feel the renaisance is ending. I think Sylvia just got caught. He would whoop Mir standing up. We've seen him get out of armbars by Ricco, and Sims got out of a Mir armbar. Maybe he can't adapt to his strength, lol

The biggest disapointment to me is Dennis Hallman. His 50 fights didn't mean much when he got punched in the face. When wrestlers are beating Pankration/Muay thai guys, I think the renaissance is over. When Hallman beat hughes, it get's your confidence in MMA up, but he hasn't seem to have improved. Just proves to me that I need the internal, as leglocks are obviously not enough, and you have to hit hard standing up.
    You need crazy pwnage knees like Shamrock as well. That was the biggest revelation for me this UFC. Knees fucking own.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2004 3:25pm

Style: Internal/extern

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should see Lance Gibson vs. Jermaine Andre at UFC 24. Also some brazilian guy, who no one thought would win, beat Sakuraba with one, at the Pride where Fedor beat Noguiera

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/20/2004 4:48pm

Style: anti-bubba love-kwon fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by punchingdummy
    I hadn't really though about the juice angle, but that might also explain Baroni's lack of aggression. He looked small and passive. It was weird.

Sylvia is still a tough SOB. Mir handled him in seconds, but Sylvia gained some respect from me by his not tapping and willingness to continue. That will be a good rematch.
    That will be a LONG wait for a rematch, broken arms take quite a while to heal, but I got to give it to Mir he is a badass on the ground.

I HATE KEN SHAMROCK, just to let you know what I thought about that fight.

I actually would have given the decision to verissimo over hughes. He threw way more strikes on the ground, went for submissions. All hughes did was sit in his guard and throw a strike here and there. His sumbmission defense was good, but I would have given the points to verissimo for actually trying to end the fight not just defending whatever happened.

Baroni totally pissed me off, nuff said.

st. pierre didn't really surprise me, he has always been quite the fireball. But you would think a guy from the baroni camp would have better hands then what hieron displayed.

Posted On:
    6/21/2004 8:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Left-Hook
    I HATE KEN SHAMROCK, just to let you know what I thought about that fight.

I actually would have given the decision to verissimo over hughes. He threw way more strikes on the ground, went for submissions. All hughes did was sit in his guard and throw a strike here and there. His sumbmission defense was good, but I would have given the points to verissimo for actually trying to end the fight not just defending whatever happened.

Baroni totally pissed me off, nuff said.

I had Verissimo winning the first, Hughes winning the third and the second was a toss up. I really expected a split decision by the judges. Two judges has it (I think) 27-30. What fight were they watching?

WTF with Baroni? I hate the guy and still can't believe how frigg'n lame he was. That's 4 losses to Lindland and Tanner! He's fading fast at 28.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast