Our Sponsors:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 3:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yrkoon9 :

How do You make the Disti9nction ? How does the Consumer ? You said that Renzo got yelled at , but wasnt he trained by them ? I mean , theyre all freaking named Gracie !!! (Excepting the Machados) how does the Consumer tell which are Hiding stuff , and wich arent ?

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 4:14am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just editted my last post. Check it out. Might give some more information or perspective.

I'm not saying that there is some sort of lineage and 'best' Gracie to learn from. I am just saying that the GJJ trademark teachers are some devious shits out to get a buck by giving their students the bare minimum. Rorion and Renzo might know the exact same number of techniques and been trained the exact same way. Renzo however has no problems sharing ALL of his knowledge to his students.

How do you know if you are getting a good deal and quality instruction? Well, as you might have guessed - if you are anywhere other than GJJ you are a step ahead. Go on recommendations from people you know and train with. Other than that it is hit or miss. As with any art there are good and bad teachers.

For example, I am going to slam one guy in Las Vegas. His name is REYLSON GRACIE. He gives out 50 lessons 1 on 1. That is his program. His clientele are the rich doctor/lawyer types who can afford expensive privates. Normally 1 on 1 is good. But this guy has 50 lessons that are mostly filler designed to give you the least ammount of info at the highest prices. 50 lessons without a group class to spar and test what you learn incrimentally? Uh huh - Im sure that some people would love this kinda thing. Much like getting your medical liscence but never having to do an internship. You may have some knowledge, but no practical application. Here is a website of the type of BJJ training to avoid : http://members.tripod.com/~reylsongracie/index1.htm

Damn...Im bashing people left and right today. I guess I am being overly negative today.
    But again...read my post on pg 5 to understand everything I am talking about between GJJ and BJJ.

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:04am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    13. How do I get to be a black belt?
    The basic training course of 50 lessons is fundamental. We have a Black Belt Program that would take 300 lessons to reach the Black Belt as a student. This means if you were to come twice per week it would take almost 3 years to achieve your Black Belt. Remember, the lessons are given one-on-one which is the fastest and most effective way to absorb the knowledge.
    Holy ****. It's a Gracie McDojo. My worldview has been shattered.

http://members.tripod.com/~reylsongr...t.htm#thirteen
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:06am

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IKFP: We have seen many examples of the excellent ground-fighting techniques within the Gracie system. Do these techniques make up the majority of techniques in Gracie Jiu-jitsu?
    Gracie: No. Although it is true that ninety percent of fights will eventually end up on the ground, ground techniques are just a portion of Gracie Jiu-jitsu. What makes jiu-jitsu such a wonderful art is that it contains the strikes and kicks of karate, the ground fighting techniques of judo, and the jointlocks and throws of aikido.
    I'm going to cry.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sad thing is it will probably get worse and worse with time, but there will also be the hardcore places that will only get better and better, it's just the way the ma world works.

Titan

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:17am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's fucking terrible, this statement has shocked me -

"This means if you were to come twice per week it would take almost 3 years to achieve your Black Belt."
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:27am

hall of fame

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm starting a new thread.

Titan

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:29am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You go girl.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay , wait ...

1. What is Jiu-jitsu?
    Jiu-jitsu is all the martial arts in one - it is a scientific art of attack and defense.

2. Which martial arts is it composed of?
    It is made up of twists (Ai-Ki-Jitsu), falls (Judo), stun blows (Karate-Jitsu), Chinese Boxing (Ken-Po-Jitsu) and floor level fighting.

3. Why is Jiu-jitsu the most complete martial arts?
    Because it is a mixture of many in one, not just one alone.
    Be all things to all people , I suppose ...

4. How are the lessons given?
    Each instructor works with two students at the same time. Each lesson is for approximately one hour.

5. Is the result better this way?
    Yes, if the lessons were given in larger groups, it would take six times as long to learn.

BreakDance Fighter

Posted On:
    6/17/2004 5:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    six times as long to learn, lol, I wonder what equation he used to get this number.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast