Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/15/2004 11:08pm

Style: On the injured list....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BJJ is slowly evolving into AJJ (American Jiu-Jitsu)

Posted On:
    6/15/2004 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would it turn into American JJ? Where would the difference be? All the best competitors are still from Brazil, and there are many other countries doing BJJ with their own black belts.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/15/2004 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my training in bjj the entire focus has been on using a greater proportion of my strength to attack a lesser of my opponent's. It's all divide and conquer tactics really.

What I'm trying to say is that this is what ALL martial arts say they do. Judo ne waza says they do it to, lots of people agree. What I was saying is of course refinement and innovation occured, however, to say that Helio "modified GJJ for use by a smaller man versus larger opponents" is a bit of hyperbole. Certainly the development of bjj took ne waza very far but really is this any different than the worship of other MA historical figures?

Stallowned!

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 1:45am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dochter

What I'm trying to say is that this is what ALL martial arts say they do. Judo ne waza says they do it to, lots of people agree. What I was saying is of course refinement and innovation occured, however, to say that Helio "modified GJJ for use by a smaller man versus larger opponents" is a bit of hyperbole. Certainly the development of bjj took ne waza very far but really is this any different than the worship of other MA historical figures?
    I wouldnt make such a sweeping generalization as your initial one, although I do agree that most MAs make claims like these. Nevertheless, BJJ actually consistently delivers on this promise. Helio helped extract from other styles, like a true martial artist, to form a comprehensive, proven, and effective way to defeat what may on the surface appear to be a physically superior opponent. Other MA figuires exist that have done similar, and they deserve credit. Others have been buried in legend and its hard to piece together what they actually contributed to their respective arts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 2:11am

supporting memberhall of famestaff
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Yrkoon9
    Make the distinction between GJJ and BJJ. The terms are not interchangeable.
    Same thing, only Gracies are allowed to use GJJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sifu Rudy Abel
    "Just what makes a pure grappler think he can survive with an experienced striker. Especially if that striker isn't following any particular rule set and is well aware of what the grapplers strategies are".

lord of the glen

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 2:38am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yrkoon9, your lineage sucks!
    CLICK THE ADDS ROMO!

This chapter will also show clips from a high-speed video in which Master Bristol conceals a Swiss Army Knife inside his buttocks. -from "The Magicians Code" by Hans Bristol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 3:12am

Style: TKD & Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it could be either Helio's sons but my guessing would be Rickson that would be the next head of GJJ not necessarily "Grandmaster" that's for shure.

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 4:59am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It will be whoever is Japanese and brings in the most dough to Hombu, no wait thats Aikido.

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 7:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I see it:
    GJJ and MJJ ( machado juijitsu) are basically the same, though I find MJJ more competition oriented rather than MMA oriented.
    Kodokan judo is throws first pinning second and ground submissions last, thought this is changing.
    Kosen judo puts GJJ ground work to shame WITH A GI ON, without a gi GJJ is far superior.

And Rorion losing the mustache is just plain wrong man !!!!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    6/16/2004 7:45am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Wyllie

Otavio Mitsuo Maeda taught Jujutsu/Judo (no more discussions, please) first to Carlos Gracie, Helio's oldest brother. Therefore, wouldn't Carlos Gracie Jr, who teaches in Rio de Janeiro today, be the "inheritor" of the system ?
    This observation has not been overlooked. There is factioning in the Gracie clan. Helio is old so he is going to get respect. But its going to be REEEEEEAAAAALLLY intresting to see what happens after his passing.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast