Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

McDojo's within Legit. Schools - An observation

A funny, but real obervation of Martial Arts schools that "house" separate styles in which MMA (or any of its core make-up of combat styles) is a part of conglomerate of other Martial Arts schools (I guess it's due to the economics of sharing rent and attracting the most students - a Martials Arts complex if you will. (Get to the friggin' point)

Anyways, back to my point, it's fun to see the faces and reactions of students from the Bullshido schools watching a BJJ or MMA (or add in your bad ash real MA) waiting for their class to begin or just walking out after their session - it doesn't matter if they're a newb or "BB" in their art, you just see an expression(s) that cannot be hidden: 1. These guys are crazy and hard core 2. an insecure but "knows what's really up and I'm not impressed and I know the dirty counter to that" look - thus protecting fragile ego 3. Damn, what I'm doing is for sport and has nothing to do with real fighting and as a BB cannot take this white/blue belt and ...(add anything else that destroys their ego/self worth) and/or 4. I've got weapons and multiple attackers training - thus leaving ego/self worth intact (#4 is just a guess)

At the same time, I see why the evolution of real martial arts and the sport of MMA will take some time: To the layperson/soccer-mom, our MA/sport still looks really scary, primal and intimidating - not the type of thing to put "little Johnny with a confidence/report card problem" in. Also it's the McDojo students and their fees is what keeps the building open because in comparison, the BJJ or MMA school isn't pulling the same weight in student fees/belt promotions (sad but true).
    Last edited by Ronson; 6/17/2004 10:02pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no idea what you're talking about. You seriously lost me, Would you please elaborate.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not bad for a first post. I give it a 6. Were you at the NorCal Throwdown?
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That look on Mcdojoist's faces is the only reason I train in MMA.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it you've had some personal experience with this? My school operates on the same principle, with a BJJ/MMA program and a wushu program, although, oddly enough, the MMA classes get more people through the door than anything else. What's the McDojo end of your school like?
    "Even if one's head were to be suddenly cut off, he should be able to perform one more action with certainty."
    -Yamamoto Tsunetomo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: McDojo's within Legit. Schools - An observation

Originally posted by Ronson
    A funny, but real obervation of Martial Arts schools that "house" separate styles in which MMA (or any of its core make-up of combat styles) is a part of conglomerate of other Martial Arts schools (I guess it's due to the economics of sharing rent and attracting the most students - a Martials Arts complex if you will. (Get to the friggin' point)

Anyways, back to my point, it's fun to see the faces and reactions of students from the Bullshido schools watching a BJJ or MMA (or add in your bad ash real MA) waiting for their class to begin or just walking out after their session - it doesn't matter if they're a newb or "BB" in their art, you just see an expression(s) that cannot be hidden: 1. These guys are crazy and hard core 2. an insecure but "knows what's really up and I'm not impressed and I know the dirty counter to that" look - thus protecting fragile ego 3. Damn, what I'm doing is for sport and has nothing to do with real fighting and as a BB cannot take this white/blue belt and ...(add anything else that destroys their ego/self worth) and/or 4. I've got weapons and multiple attackers training - thus leaving ego/self worth intact (#4 is just a guess)

At the same time, I see why the evolution of real martial arts and the sport of MMA will take some time: To the layperson/soccer-mom, our MA/sport still looks really scary, primal and intimidating - not the type of thing to put "little Johnny with a confidence/report card problem" in. Also it's the McDojo students and their fees is what keeps the building open because in comparison, the BJJ or MMA school isn't pulling the same weight in student fees/belt promotions (sad but true).
    Oh **** I forgot you were Canadian, you must've been using this as an example of Americans looking at you funny as you take the hockey stick and puck out your fucking asss!!!!!

Welcome to Bullshido.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kABURNT!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ahh, i get what you mean.. My school is kinda like that..

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction. Join us... or die
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I go to a university TSD club. There is a BJJ club here run by one of my friends. Sadly enough, TKD and WC get all the people :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, but TKD and WC get most of the girls training, and in uni, which style would you rather train in, the one where you get to grapple on the mat with (mostly) guys, or the one with all of the 1st year chicks??

Page 1 of 2 12 Last