Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2002 11:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In your opinion, which martial art has the best kicking techniques for street fighting?

Iím casting my vote for MT.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2002 11:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    anything realy. most of the time in the street you want to throw a low kick, almost all arts have that, it just depends on where the practioner wants to throw it.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 1:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The low kick I've seen in most arts is a chambered instep-slap. And if you're going against some guy rushing you with punches you're going to need to "box" in some way or another. Its one thing you need to supplement your training if you ever want to complete or be confident in your abilities in a setting where you don't know what the other guy knows, or what his intent is. The reason I say this is that in boxing you learn how to handle a continous, non-stop attack and return with one of your own. Most arts don't have that. It also teaches good footwork and stance.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 1:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Low kick could mean anything not neccessarily a roundhouse. Push kick to the knee is something royce gracie used quite a lot very effectivly in the UFC's Personally I like a push kick to the chest or snap kick/roundhouse to knee and I would use them on the street.

""Most arts don't have that""

ROFLMAO

""It also teaches good footwork and stance.""

Something every art has or its not really a martial art since this is an integral part of fighting. If you have not been taught this in the other martial arts you have learnt either you or the teacher was crap.

pete,

pete,

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 1:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any kick can be useful if trained the right way. Get your head out of point sparring and into real fighting, and if you have a brain in your head you can adapt the principles of almost ANY martial art to be street effective.

-Key concepts here. ADAPT. Most arts are completely ineffective against opponents other than inanimate teddy bears
    -I said PRINCIPLES not techniques.
    -I also said ALMOST any martial art, and the almost lies more in the practictioner than the art, but yes we all know Master Hans Bristol's system isn't going to work.

In short, whatever you train, if you train for fighting instead of sparring, you should be ok.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 5:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you mean by a snap kick? I know that "snap" would imply your knee extending and then curling back, but do you mean with the instep or part of the flat of the foot? By Flat I mean ball, heel, etc...

Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taekkyon Shin Stomp!!!

* It's easier to fall down than to fall up *
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 8:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think either a side kick or a fron t kick to the knee joint is often a good choice. I personally dont like roundhouses of any sort it makes you too vulnerable for a take down. Its okay to harrass the guy with but you dont want to be run over while throwing one. It doesnt stop the attacker forward motion (providing he is moving towards you).

PEACE!
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/14/2002 9:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like to use kicks in a combo. The bread and butter finishing off a punch combo with a big knee or thai kick works pretty well.

Outside of a combo, a push kick to keep them at bay or go up to their jaw if you can throw one like an uppercut... and a stop kick to their thigh if they're about to throw a kick at you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/16/2002 7:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Push kicks work well when thrown to the lower abdomen / upper groin area....They can also be effectively thrown to the legs but are much more difficult to land. I don't like throwing a push kick any higher than the lower abdomen....It's too easy to lose your balance if the attacker is charging. The lower kick to the abdomen will tend to fold them at the hips and disrupt their balance. Round kicks to the common peroneal work well and will absolutely drop your attacker...They require good timing and an angular side stepping motion as they will not stop a charging attacker (you must slide to the side and kick). Speaking of a charging attacker, knee strikes work well in this situation. If they are charging, you need a good base under yourself and you must step into the attack. If you simply try to hold your ground, the attacker's momentum will overcome you. Step into the attack, while executing a middle block (much like playing football) grab and knee strike. For the most part, I don't like kicking someone who is charging at me...Too easy to get knocked on your ass if you miss time the kick or you have a really strong attacker.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast