6/14/2004 2:44am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NorCal Throwdown

Well, I've now lost this post twice.

Briefly because I'm sick of typing the same thing over:

Thank you all involved with this throwdown; participants, organizers and especially hosts. The folks at Modern Combatives Berkeley were great and are incredibly supportive of the goals of this site.

It will take a bit to get more pics up (I've got 122 on my camera) but this is probably the most important. The few willing to remain till the end:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	group pic small.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	186.0 KB 
ID:	1279  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 2:48am

Style: On the injured list....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I definitely had fun. I give it to Munen for riding his motorcycle for 5hours+ from Santa Barb. and Dochter driving from Reno (3-4hours).

I'll encode and post the video early this week. Hopefully I'll get it out before I head to Thailand next week.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 3:04am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *grumble grumble.....still haven't put up the vids from the last throwdown.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 3:06am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: NorCal Throwdown

Originally posted by Dochter
    Well, I've now lost this post twice.

Briefly because I'm sick of typing the same thing over:

Thank you all involved with this throwdown; participants, organizers and especially hosts. The folks at Modern Combatives Berkeley were great and are incredibly supportive of the goals of this site.

It will take a bit to get more pics up (I've got 122 on my camera) but this is probably the most important. The few willing to remain till the end:
    Well I recognize the two ugly white boys on the right bunyip and xero but who are all the other numbnuts (with jealous look on face sitting with pouting gesture arms crossed.)

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 3:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think summaries are going to be very difficult. For a lot of the time there were 2 pairs of people doing standup and two pairs of people rolling, so I doubt anyone had a great idea of what was going on.

Here goes a really brief bit though about some of the posters here who I actually remember rolling with. I'm pretty sure we all rolled or sparred a ton. After most of the people left we put on gi's and going against someone (blue atama, middle bottom of picture) I actually had to stop or else I probably would have passed out. So I know I'm leaving people out, just a brief synopsis of people I rolled with long enough to get an idea about.

grappling only:
    bunyip: Bunyip's one of those really mobile individuals who needs very little space to make something happen. Having this guy on his back doesn't help a lot because he's as mobile there as lots of people are on foot or knees. He's got technique that is better than I'm qualified to critique.

Guerrilla Fists: GFs a beast. I only rolled with him but saw that he is very able to drop some bombs. Rolling with the guy was pretty interesting because he's surprisingly strong and is very aggressive with even a little more training he'd be difficult to handle on the ground, didn't see much of his stand up but he could easily get a pretty complete game.

RedRover (I think I know who this is): Only got to roll with him once and I got kimura'd (I think :D). Strong sob and also very mobile on the ground. Not someone I'd want to mess with for real.

munen: Willy and wiry. Munen seemed to be largely arms, legs and lots and lots of energy. He knows what he's doing but I think he'd see an astronomical increase in ability if he relaxed more.

General:

-I personally had a great time and learned a lot training with people who I don't know what to expect from and who don't know what to expect from me.

-For the majority of the time we went no-gi, rashgaurds and shorts. With the crowd and time it got hot as hell and so everyone was sweating a flood. This changed things from my typical ac'ed gi training. For me I pretty much gave up on most of the more complicated subs and ended up focusing on chokes (primarily guilletines (sp) with some ezekiels and a collar/clock or two). I found this pretty neccesary as I couldn't keep a grip to save my life (or a plastic storage bin). This was interesting because I had to use subs I don't usually. It was nice to know they didn't get rusty sitting in the tool box. I think it might also have exposed that we need to remain concious of this sort of sub attempt even if it isn't common.

-My stand up isn't just rusty, it sucks. DO NOT TAKE OFF 9+ MONTHS FROM ANYTHING EVER AGAIN DOCHTER!! I did two rounds of standup. The first was against warhogg's buddy (ninja somebody or other). While my viewpoint was of course restricted I think I held my own in this matchup we probably traded an even number of blows and I don't think I took much at all to my head. We were wearing four ouncers and so pulled blows a lot so who knows how it actually would have gone though.

-My second matchup was something... else. Did a round of San Shou rules standup with a krabbi krabong guy. We were wearing 16 ouncers, headgear and shin guards. This started out well with us probably trading pretty evenly and I think I landed some decent head kicks. About half way through though it all changed and the guy (I'm sorry I don't remember his name, 25 PEOPLE were there!!) just started dominating the hell out of me with huge flurrys of punches. Basically he made me his bitch. He got one takedown (I think that's actually where the tide so massively turned) which I was able to turn and take side if I recall correctly, which was immaterial as it was San Shou. Yeah, I got pwned with a capital "P".

-My takedowns are too non-existent. I was able to do well when I had a size advantage both no-gi and gi but once I lost that I wasn't even able to make the best of a bad situation.

-I need to watch my feet. Of the three (?) times I got sub'ed one was an achilles and one was a heel hook. Guess that goes with being a bjj white belt.

-Overall I was pretty happy with how I did on the ground. It sometimes is hard to know how you're doing when you don't ever train with someone new. I'm pretty pleased with how I did after 6 months of bjj so it was a nice experience to actually get things like triangles on people fighting you like hell.

Great experience and if I'm off on anything let me know.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 3:29am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's my, early and limited run bullshido shirt by the way.

I'm standing on the right. I'm not even going to try and pretend like I remember everybody elses first names though. Sorry. I'm a moron.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 3:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorrry if any of that is incoherrent. I'm fooking exhausted. Nighty night.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 4:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One final note: Bunyip and I rolled and sparred for much of the 3.5 hour span. The rest of yous is bitches. Leaving early weenies.

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 7:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    25? Hopefully there's some excellent throwdown footage.

lol ay bunyip's Dunkendonuts t-shirt.

Interesting summary Dotcher, would like to see pics/footage.

Basically he made me his bitch.
    oh god please have this on video PLEASE.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    6/14/2004 9:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Blad3

Basically he made me his bitch.
    oh god please have this on video PLEASE.
    Sorry but I doubt it. It will have to be enough to know that I got beat down (though in my own defense I've never contended that anything else would happen, except against you:D)

Looking at the pictures I've got I'm not sure what will be best. Theres a lot of me with bunyip and bunyip with other people. I'll try and sort them out though.

Just for blad3:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	240small.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	219.5 KB 
ID:	1280  

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast