Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:31am

Style: KK NooB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Genbukan Ninpo Bugei

I am almost thinking twice on sending this thread....But screw it...here it goes

Is Genbukan a good way of learning Japanese Jiu-Jitsu ? They claim it on their site ( KJJR ) and what is exactly the difference between JJJ and BJJ ?

Please be gentle...I ran out of lubricants :-)

* Grabbing my ankles *

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Japanese Jiujitsu from what I understand can vary a lot. One place I've seen focused extensively on standup grappling, locking and weapons, while another had strikes, standup locking, weapons and groundwork.

BJJ on the other hand focuses heavily on taking the opponent down and submitting them via choke or limb damage.

Sorry, can't help with the Genbukan question though.

Chemist

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe Genbukan is an offshoot of Bujinkan = NINJA!
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Zed.. for the reply...

I am asking because there is a Dojo close to the area, and since I do not have a clue on what to look for I am asking for feedback. ( yes...I did use the google tool ) but my familiarity in reality for JJJ is 0. I checked out a BJJ class over here by me but they focus extensivly on Groundfighting. I was thinking JJJ might be better in terms of balance of stand up and ground...

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Te No Kage!
    Kind of, but it's a seperate organisation altogether.

JJJ is more rigid with more stand up fighting; BJJ is more fluid and flamboyant, but you have to get your ass humped by semi-naked men.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Te No Kage!
    Yes, that is true, however from what I have read in other forums they are far more respected. Is that true in your guys opinion ? Not to many MA forums like Bullshido to ask around on :-)
    Last edited by Muffdiver; 6/11/2004 7:48am at .

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [i]JJJ is more rigid with more stand up fighting; BJJ is more fluid and flamboyant, but you have to get your ass humped by semi-naked men. [/B]
    The comment re: JJJ is very true in my admittedly limited experience. Expect lots of prearranged combinations at the beginning as a form of drills.

What kind of BJJ you been looking at? Flamboyant to the general public, I'd say no. To the slightly more educated peoples, exceedingly sweet when something is pulled off with beautiful efficiency.

When I saw Royce armbar my instructor, I finally understood what one of my old sensei meant by "It makes you want to go off and have a tug".

Not that I wanted to, but I understood his idea. ;)

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:56am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The scuttlebut that I've heard is that they're (the Genbukan's) grading requirements are more stringent and uniform. Whereas the Bujinkan instructors can set pretty much any requirements they wish up to 5th dan, at which time you must test before either Hatsumi or someone serving as his acknowledged representative.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 7:58am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this might sound cliched, but its generally the teacher not the art. however BJJ schools tend to be much higher standard because its harder to advance in rank. I would recommend taking the bjj and doing something like boxing or muay thai to supplement your stand up striking, unless it is a good quality JJJ school that works both equally well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 8:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    I would recommend taking the bjj and doing something like boxing or muay thai to supplement your stand up striking, unless it is a good quality JJJ school that works both equally well.
    I agree with you on the teacher being a big factor...
    Also, I wish I had the time and the money to do 2 seperate arts, but I dont. So that is why I am trying to balance it all out in 1. Thanks for the tips...
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast