Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 10:15am

Style: Baji Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

baji schools europe

hey guys,

i'm planning of holding a Baji gathering here in Europe.

Now i have found several Baji schools here but i can't find any in Germany.

Or... i can't find any with a website. Do you guys know any Baji schools in Germany ?

it would be a great help

thanks

Meng

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 12:56pm

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baji. What style, etc?

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 2:38pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Too bad your in Europe, I have an excellent Baji instructor here in U.S. Huo style, his teachers were Huo Dian Ge and Huo Qing Yun, two of the last emperors bodyguards. He doesn't speak much English though so not the best guy for seminars unless he has a translator.

If you have any interest in bringing him over let me know, of course someone would have to cover his expenses and what not.

Sorry I can't be of any help, I know of very few schools here in the U.S. that teach Baji and most of them teach it incorrectly, don't know of any in Europe. Good Luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 2:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the style is not relevant.
    The Baji Comunity is already small enough.

I found here in Europe About 3 branches of Baji.
    The branch of the Wu Tan organisation, then an other branch from Li ShuWen and then our school. We study the Wu branch ( Wu Lianzhi) of Baji.

We just want to have a gathering. You know.... compare the different branches and stuff like that.
    Just a bunch of people with the same passion in a friendly atmosphere.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 3:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mengcunman
    hey guys,

i'm planning of holding a Baji gathering here in Europe.

Now i have found several Baji schools here but i can't find any in Germany.

Or... i can't find any with a website. Do you guys know any Baji schools in Germany ?

it would be a great help

thanks

Meng
    That's cool.

Huo Qing Yun's teacher was Li Shu Wen. From my understanding Li Shu Wen went to Taiwan with Guo Ming Dang when the communitsts took over, so most of the Baji I see here in the U.S. is also from Li Shu Wen.

Unfortunately most of the people in the U.S. that learned it from Li Shu Wen studied it when Li was very old and riddled with arthritis, so many of there movements are not done properly. They mimic what Li showed them not fully understanding that Li at the time was unable to make full extensions with his motions or demonstrate where and when power should be applied. A lot of it ends up looking like Tai Chi, with Baji movements. In addition many of people here in the U.S. only learned 2-3 routines and that's it, leaving them with an incomplete set.

I personally have learned

Baji Xiao Jia (short form)
    Baji Da Jia (Long form)
    Baji Dui Jie (2 man set)
    Jing Gang Ba Shi (8 piece training exercise)
    Liu Da Kai (6 peice training exercise)
    Ba Da Zhao (Another 8 piece training exercise)

I am currently learning Fei Hu Quan, which is a routine that incorporates all of the training exercises, and then I have a Wu Style Baji routine called Si Lang Kuan Quan, after which I will have completed all of the empty hand routines. Of course there are also the 8 weapons , but I have no real interest in learning them since no one walks around carrying swords and what not anymore.

Good to hear from a fellow Baji practioner! Hopefully Lord Asia will pop in as well, he used to train Baji some time ago in Japan, he may have an idea about some schools in Europe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 3:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok, thanks...
    Jing Gang Ba Shi... what sort of routine is that ?

Si Lang Kuan is a very nice form. The different animal elements a very good visible.

About the weapons... i realy like the short stick. It's the same power, but the extended with a short stick. ( we call is the beggars staff )

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    1/02/2007 3:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's basically a training exercise. It has 8 parts, each part is done in a straight line up and then you turn and do the same thing coming back. For example #1 is a step forward into a horse stance with a straight punch in the direction you are stepping. This is done across the room then you turn and repeat the drill back to where you originally started. All drills all started from a Baji Stance. Jing Gang Ba Shi has 8 of these, Liu Da Kai has 6 and Ba Da Zhao has 8.

What's really important about many of the exercises in these sets is that they don't appear in most of the forms, so without the constant reptition that is done in the training exercise you would never practice them. I think that is why the Fei Hu Quan routine may have been created to make students practice the exercises that did not appear in the Short or Long Forms.