Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 10:48am

supporting member
     Style: Roberto Traven BJJ (Blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question for JJJ experts?

Has anyone taken or have had experience with Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu ? I have look at a few websites via google and it looks alot more like Judo than what I have seen in other JJJ styles. What I mean by this is it looks like it emphasizes more throws than stainding joint locks.

I am asking because my BJJ option just fell through and this is the only thing in town that offers a class on Saturday.

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shorinji kan jujutsu ???
    for real ??
    "house of shaolin" jujutsu ?????

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm...Is that what it means? Well yeah thats what it says.

From the club page:

Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu
    Jiu jitsu originated in the East many centuries ago as an unarmed self-defence system. As time passed jiu jitsu branched into many different styles, each with its own philosophy and emphasis. Our style, Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu, is taught in several countries under the guidance of The Jitsu Foundation and B.A.Graham Shihan, the head of style.

Based primarily on locking and throwing techniques, jiu jitsu provides an extremely effective self-defence system. The wide variety of restraint and take down techniques allow for a controlled response to a violent confrontation and, for this reason, jiu jitsu techniques are used world wide by police forces. The self-defence techniques taught involve using the attacker's movement and momentum against him/herself. The blocking techniques we use are "soft blocks" which mainly deflect the attack rather than using the "hard blocks" associated with many striking arts. Our techniques utilise locking systems (arm locks, wrist locks, etc.) to gain control of the attacker, which can then be turned into throws or restraints depending on the severity of the attack.

Aside from developing valuable self-defence skills, the main aim of participation in the martial arts should be the betterment of oneself. Participants in any well taught martial arts club will derive many non-physical benefits such as improved confidence and increased self-discipline and self-esteem. Jiu jitsu can be extremely valuable to any individual as training helps reinforce values such as humility, patience, tolerance, discipline, and respect for oneself and others.

The precise origins of our style are hard to determine however it can be traced to Riukiu Mura, a policeman and unarmed combat instructor at the Tokyo police academy. Since a child, he had studied jiu jitsu and judo. While in Japan, Matthew Komp, a highly graded practitioner of judo, aikido and karate, studied jiu jitsu (under Riukiu Mura's tutelage) and Shorinji Kempo. From these influences, Matthew Komp formed his style of jiu jitsu which he took to Australia in the early 1950's, where he founded a school in Footscray, near Melbourne. One of his first students was Brian Graham, who later returned to England as a black belt.

On his return to England, Graham Shihan renamed the style Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu and established the first Samurai Jiu Jitsu Club in Keighly, Yorkshire. Under the guidance of Graham Shihan and Peter Farrar Sensei (who himself was one of Graham Shihan's first students), the style spread rapidly in Britain. An association was formed called the National Samurai Jiu Jitsu Association, which was renamed The Jitsu Foundation in 1990 and now has over 100 clubs in Britain.

As well, a number of instructors have moved to other countries and opened clubs. The first was Cyprus in 1989, then Canada in 1993, and the U.S.A. in 1995. More recently, clubs have also opened in Greece, Holland, Belgium, Australia, Germany, and Japan, placing Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu at an international level.

http://www.jitsucanada.com/usa/spart.../jiujitsu.html

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I may have to go check it out, even if it just to write a report.

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only shorinji I know ( shorinji is the japanese "version" of the word shaolin", are:
    Shorinji kempo created by Doshin So
    Shorinji Karate, another name for Shorin-ryu karate.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm. If I can get in touch with the instructor I will go and watch a class. I was hoping that someone would be able to give some input with first hand experience. I am familiar with Shorinji Kempo, and Shorin-Ryu but I guess I didnt make the connection. It is offered at as a club at the local YMCA.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:41am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Question for JJJ experts?

Originally posted by Chuan
    Has anyone taken or have had experience with Shorinji Kan Jiu Jitsu ? I have look at a few websites via google and it looks alot more like Judo than what I have seen in other JJJ styles. What I mean by this is it looks like it emphasizes more throws than stainding joint locks.

I am asking because my BJJ option just fell through and this is the only thing in town that offers a class on Saturday.
    This was was of the houses of Shorinji Kenpo. In some parts they substituted Jujitsu for Kenpo. Back in the 50's it was known as Shorinji Ryu Kenpo Juijitsu. This school may only be teaching the locks and throws but, more than likely, is a off branch school of Japanes Kenpo.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Oh Evil Frog

So this may have a chance of being legit. Hopefully I will be able to get in touch ,( i had my first email bounced back from Hotmail) and go watch a class.

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:50am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor has a black belt in Shorinji Ryu Jujitsu and Judo. We've got a fighter on our team going to be in the UFC for the second time on June 19th, so I wouldn't write it off if they train right.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:57am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

http://www.jitsucanada.com/usa/spart...os/videos.html
    http://www.jitsucanada.com/usa/spart.../a_photos.html

Here is a link to the video page. I am not that familiar with Japanese JuiJitsu all that much but some of the techniques from the photos look kind of iffy.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast