Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/09/2004 11:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It really kind of does. O soto is called an STO in wrestling.
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 3:48am

Style: Judo+BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by meowrsx
    that's a kickass link, helps a heapful. i can see what you mean about osotogari on other judoka, it's very basic, to the point that non judo people try to muscle the throw without any proper body mechanics. i'll tell you though, if you don't do judo and you're not expecting that leg from the clinch, you're going down :).
    Sweet, sweet kuzushi. I used to muscle osoto, but now when I hit it, uke is almost falling before I reap the leg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 3:50am

Style: Judo+BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by greese1
    I can rock O Soto on people who have been training for years. I am 6'3 with long ass legs, so it is easy for me. The simplest counter is O soto. I have countered it with Koshi Garuma.
    Nice. I'm 6'1", but my legs are short and my torso is long. It's nice to be tall, heavy, and have low hips, but it makes throws like osoto a pain. Oh well, there's always uranage. :-)

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 7:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, you can counter with a counter osoto, a hip throw as he comes in and a sacrafice throw after he throws/trips you.
    You can also pivot and try to sweep the tripping leg.

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 7:22am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We sometimes use this osoto-gari drill as a warm up- both players hook their leg in for osoto , with their preferred grip and than try to throw.

There are many different variations, try to see how Peter Seisenbacher used to do his 'hooked-in' osoto gari. He won two olympic gold medals.
    On one of his videos he shows a special counter against the 'hook in o soto'
    He let's his opponent almost get his leg in and than counters with a powerful hip throw.
    Difficult to describe, get the video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 7:36am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always used to kind of step over and turn into the attempts at osoto-gari and then pick my opponent up in a ura nage. Again, almost impossible to describe, partly because it's sort of instinctive and relies 100% on timing. Mess up your timing and you go down.

Doesn't work so well on bigger guys, but at my weight class (generally 66kg) I got a LOT of ippons with it.

Merry Christmas Bitch

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 7:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Canadian Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I think it was a version of seio nage

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 11:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by greese1
    I can rock O Soto on people who have been training for years. I am 6'3 with long ass legs, so it is easy for me. The simplest counter is O soto. I have countered it with Koshi Garuma.
    You got to stop sucking on those bull testicles the3n. it will help your height.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    6/10/2004 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like O soto gari. But then, I'm one of those beginners mentioned earlier, so I have a pretty good chance of knocking a fellow beginner down with it...

Isn't O soto gari also known as the "Schoolyard Trip"?
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Motorboatin SOB

Posted On:
    6/11/2004 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Freddy
    You got to stop sucking on those bull testicles the3n. it will help your height.
    So, bitch, you showing up at the Vegas throwdown?
    And that's when I figured out that tears couldn't make somebody who was dead alive again. There's another thing to learn about tears, they can't make somebody who doesn't love you any more love you again. It's the same with prayers. I wonder how much of their lives people waste crying and praying to God. If you ask me, the devil makes more sense than God does. I can at least see why people would want him around. It's good to have somebody to blame for the bad stuff they do. Maybe God's there because people get scared of all the bad stuff they do. They figure that God and the Devil are always playing this game of tug-of-war game with them. And they never know which side they're gonna wind up on. I guess that tug-of-war idea explains how sometimes, even when people try to do something good, it still turns out bad.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast