Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. 9chambers

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 3:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

- my new training agenda -

I've posted in recent fitness threads about the benefits of sprinting (as opposed to jogging) and in the past I've brought up some of my crazy old school training like running laps on short-range obstacle courses and whatnot. Well .. some of the stuff I did in the old days was excessive and some of it was more to build attributes like dexterity, balance and coordination rather than fitness. I am glad for the experiences and the knowledge that I developed from doing those things but maybe they aren't necessary for fitness. Some of it may have even been bad for me .. like jumping off of bridges and so on. I am really cautious about my knees anymore since my Dad is old and I see him hobbling around on a bad knee. I want to take care of myself. I don't want that to be me. Walking is kind of important in life.

Anyway, I spent some time going over my training routines last night. I wanted to weed out the exercises that I was doing which were not necessary (to cut down on time) and I wanted to eliminate anything not really worth doing. I do sprints because I want to focus on explosive power. I don't ride my bike for miles on end because that takes forever and it doesn't seem to offer me enough in terms of cardio. I just do a mile for warm up and a mile for cool down. I am only doing weight training one day a week which is about right for my metabolism. Sprints are anaerobic so that covers my legs on another day without even using weights. Anyway, this is what I came down too. This is my agenda for June 2004. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or you think it sucks. Thanks. I really want to get this right.

My goals:

I just like to build raw strength. I train large muscle groups together. I don't isolate and shape. I am not a body builder going for aesthetics. I just want to be at my top performance. I don't need to be too bulky for my frame though. I don't want to be too boney or weak but I don't need legs so big they swish when I walk. My height is 5'11 and my ideal weight is about 180-185 pounds. Right now I am a little heavy. I started training again this spring. I've been making good progress. I feel good.

* The following is my projected agenda for June:

> CARDIO 1 - sprints [twice a week]

bikeride 1 mile (warm up)
    25 yard dash 1x15
    100 yard dash 1x1
    50 yard dash 1x10
    100 yard dash 1x1
    200 meter dash 1x1
    bikeride 1 mile (cool down)
    crunches 1x200 (hold each for 2-5 sec)
    major stretches

> CARDIO 2 - torso [once a week]

hill climbers 1x100
    push-ups 3x30-50
    standing broad jump paces 1x50
    v-ups or "killers" 3x15 (fast)
    raccoon pull-ups 3x20-25
    crunches 1x500 (hold each 2-5 sec)
    vertical jump paces 1x100
    crunches 1x500 (hold each 2-5 sec)
    major stretches

> WEIGHT TRAINING 1 - arms/torso [once a week]

pull-ups 3x12-15
    bent over dumbbell rows 4x8
    overhead dumbbell press 4x8
    raccoon pull-ups 3x20-25
    v-ups or "killers" 3x15 (fast)
    crunches 1x200 (hold each for 2-5 sec)
    major stretches

> MARTIAL ARTS TRAINING - 9 Chamber boxing [twice a week]

(when I join the BJJ/JKD gym that will be twice a week so I'll have to change this)

kick paces 2-5x100 (mostly on bag)
    bag work (full intensity) 3x5min rounds
    parry drills 1x5min
    combinations and counter drills 1x5min

* curriculum (kata or technique drills)
    * sparring, grappling - if no partner do fast choreography drills/shadow boxing

crunches 1x200 (hold each 2-5 sec)
    major stretches

> STRETCHES - [once a week on day off]

all stretches
    back extensions 3x12-15
    a few yoga poses 1x5min
    crunches 1x200 (hold each 2-5 sec)

> FOCUS DAYS - pick one of the following [sub for cardio once or twice a month]

* bag work for 1 hour
    * just sparring or grappling for 1-2 hours
    * long relaxing bikeride
    * crossing bar laps and climbing
    * sports and recreation
    * swimming laps
    * rare - laps on obstacle course
    * hike through woods
    * athletic drills for fun
    Last edited by 9chambers; 6/07/2004 7:51pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 4:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're very confused.
  3. 9chambers

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 4:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look, either tell me why you think so or show me proof that you are the grand puba of fitness or .. something. You might as well have just said, "You're mom." I learned nothing from your post other than some random girl with a necklace thinks I am confused.

p.s. Your mom.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 6/07/2004 5:13pm at .

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 6:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Way too many crunches IMHO.
    They bore the hell outta me, see if you can do some ab work weighted instead of going for endurance.

PS. Your mom
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 6:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    500 crunches? good lord... I think if you have the energy to do that many crunches, you should be at least doing some other kind of abdominal exercise...just like if you can do 200 pushups straight, you should be looking for something else to do.

Personally I doubt you'll manage to stick with that, but thats just my opinion.
    It just looks like too much.
  6. 9chambers

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 7:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Piz and Tom,

I hate crunches for the same reason. They take up so much time and they don't seem like that much work. I don't go for the weighted ab workouts because I feel like large abs are just going to get in the way. Big abs look cool but .. abs are supposed to help you bend. If they are bulky then they are pretty much getting in the way of you bending, aren't they? I've tried other crazy ab routines like hanging sit-ups and leg tucks, they seems like more trouble than they are worth. I would really like to find a solid ab routine but I can't.

Maybe I just need to do more v-ups and less crunches. v-ups are much harder for me to do than crunches.

>I doubt you'll manage to stick with that

Maybe I need to weed out a few more things. I took the punch combos and kick paces out of cardio 2. I also removed the lat pull since I am doing pull-ups. I think .. really, I can only afford to train about an hour a day with everything else I've got going on right now. I'm not married and I don't have kids but I do have my parents to look after and some projects I am working on ... this routine only takes four days a week so I have a three day rest. (I do stretches on one of the days off.)

*sigh* .. I am getting all OCD again. I need to slow down and relax. Take it slow. I have a tendency to overtrain and eat up my own muscle growth. I have to build a stable routine so I don't overdo it.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 6/07/2004 7:54pm at .

Posted On:
    6/08/2004 7:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn boy, you gotta a lot of **** there...
    RE:
    Strength training - You MUST include squats and deadlifts, also: B.press, chin ups and dips.
    You really don't need anything more than that.
    For strength, use a weight that you can lift for a MAX of 6 reps.
    If you are doing over 25 reps of ANYTHING, its time to add some weight to the exercise and crunches are NO exception.

From recent studies, moderate intensity cardio lasting no less than 20 min and no more than one hour, is best for fat burning.
    Low intwensity does very little and high inensity is NOT as good a fat burner than keeping a moderate steady pace.

As for the running and sprintining, you seem to like and enjoy it, so do it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2004 9:59am

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers, you might want to try weighted crunches on a Swiss ball. Hold the weight on your chest and lean back so that your abs are getting stretched out. Another good exercise is to hang on to the chin up bar, bring your knees in and then kick out. Currently, you're spending 15 to 40 minutes on crunches alone, which is, in my not-so humble opinion, insane.

Also, what the hell are raccoon pull-ups?

Posted On:
    6/08/2004 11:09am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might want to diversify you ab workout. I do crunches, but I also workout using the "roman cradle"---that machine where your legs hang down and you have to pull them up using your lower abs. this is also great exercise for kicks. we also work out using a medicine ball. a sit up bench gives you more range of movement, than on the ground...

nothing else except maybe add more sparing..
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2004 2:30pm

Style: strength, judo, kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    9chambers, you say you want to build raw strength, but yet you don't do any compound exercises.
    Sorry to tell you, but it ain't gonna work.
    Check out hardgainer for info on proper ST.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast