Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/05/2004 12:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting out of triangle

Who is confident that they couldn't be stacked out of a triangle?

For a while now, at the casual advice of a classmate, I've been doing just that...with ok success. As a matter of fact, sometimes if I couldn't break the guard, I would feed the guy a triangle, just because I knew I could pro-actively stack and pass. Is that possibly because I've mainly been doing it against fellow white belts? I didn't even come close to doing it to this one guy last week with whom I rolled for the first time...but I don't know his details (he's not a regular). Nonetheless, it was one of the more profound, over-all, ownerships in recent memory.

I finally rolled with my teacher the other day (after a long time), and he told me not to stack. He wanted me to drag him up on my knees, frame my arms, look up (maintain posture), and wait for him to think of something else to do. I consquently tried that for the rest of the night, and it did indeed work....but I really wasn't able to be pro-active until he readjusted.

Any other preferred methods? Other than not being a dork who keeps getting caught in them?

Posted On:
    6/05/2004 3:54pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stack an armbar. Posture up in a triangle. Stacking usually makes the triangle easier to finish.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/05/2004 4:47pm

Style: stand, clinch, & grapple

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when the person in the triangle posts an arm to stack, i try to hook it and pivot to drive them off balance

as far as countering a triangle, i was shown something recently. i can't remember it exactly jsut sitting here, something about placing the free arm across the opponent's body and moving to side control. it seemed to look viable at the time, but the detail of it escapes me right now.

Posted On:
    6/05/2004 11:06pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stacking works best against fat dudes with inflexible necks who freak out when you do it.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    6/05/2004 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll stack them just enough so I can turn and set my knee down on their hip on the side that has their leg bent around the back of my neck. Then I'll drop my shin/knee downward onto their hip popping open the triangle with my body weight.

The other thing I'll do is perform a mild stack while bringing by trapped arm and free arm to the side that doesn't take my arm across my neck. Then I'll try to get them on the ground. Then I'll spin my leg around over them to break the triangle. If you do it right it will flip them upside down so you'll be sitting on their back. You can then grab one of their flailing legs and perform an ankle lock.

I don't like stacking them hard if you have a triangle on. It brings their legs closer to their arms and allows them to really crank it down. if the triangle is SUPER tight I'll tap out. :)

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    6/05/2004 11:44pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rarely lose my triangle to a stack. Only guy who did it reliably was HUGE and I long since gave up trying to triangle shoulders and necks as massive as his. Otherwise, someone goes to stack I just slide my shoulders around on the matts/floor, shift my hips, and they go right back down.

Grab the leg that's not across the back of your neck with both your trapped arm and your free arm. Position up- strong base get those knees under their cheeks- look up at the sky and shake those fucking legs off. You really shouldn't have to be waiting forr him to do something else after you break a triangle. You should be casting him off like a sheet and covering fast to get side control at the least.

Posted On:
    6/05/2004 11:58pm

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by katana
    I'll stack them just enough so I can turn and set my knee down on their hip on the side that has their leg bent around the back of my neck.
    Sounds like you're rolling with people who don't know how to finish a triangle. The first thing I do when closing a triangle is pivot my body so that I can look in my opponent's ear. You're just doing it for me.
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    6/06/2004 12:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by bunyip
    Sounds like you're rolling with people who don't know how to finish a triangle. The first thing I do when closing a triangle is pivot my body so that I can look in my opponent's ear. You're just doing it for me.
    If the triangle is not completely set it works pretty well. If the triangle is fully locked and they're pulling your head down you're in trouble. Usually you use your free hand to stabilize their spinning while twisting your torso to get position with you legs to drop your weight.

What are other people's ideas for triangle escapes? I'm always looking for new things to try.

***ned

Posted On:
    6/06/2004 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, so he's got your arm and your head in the triangle and he's going to try and finish...

Put both of your hands on each side of his head (to prevent him from scooting up further during the stack). Head up. Keep moving up (as in forward).

Of course, it would be better if you weren't in this position in the first place, but we've all been there, and we'll all probably be there again.

Posted On:
    6/06/2004 11:42am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, come to think of it, stacking and posturing works well IF they don't have the triangle fully locked in. If not, you're gonna have to try one of the other escapes (which are still hard to get to work if they have it locked in perfectly).
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast