Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 4:15pm

Style: Hung Ga Gung Fu + Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey thanks Punyip I really appreciate your input and your time to respond to my questions. I will try out different schools in the area and see what works for me it seems like thats the only logical way. And I definetely will see if SFSU has a club of some sort (although with the budget cuts its highly unlikely). I plan on taking Kung Fu San Soo over the summer so I'll keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 10:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He is the number one student of Lum Jo here in the US.

Y.C. Wong is not expensive by bay area standars. $80/month, flat rate. No belts, not tests, no ranks. We train in a basemetn with a cement floor. NO groundwork. Classes are very loosely structured. You spar as much or as little as you feel like. You will have to actively seek out fellow students to spar with you or teach you sparring. Like most aspect of training, it's up to you. Classes in the evening are from 5:30 - 8:00. You can come in and train for any portion of that time. There is usually a formal group session doing the typical gong fu class stuff like punching 50 times in each stance or everybody kicking air as a group but that part of the 2 1/2 hour period is usually only about 1/2 hour long.

A first class will probably be some senior assigned to taking you through the basic stances and maybe starting you on the first form.

If you are skeptical about it's effectiveness I suggest you see if there is one of the better seniors around to "play" with you. The first time I sparred there I sparred with on of the Wong brothers (not related to Sifu but there are 3 or 4 brothers there who have beenwith Sifu for over 20 years) and this guy never bothered to use anything but his lead hand. I did all I could buyt couldn't get past his arm. He never needed to kick punch or anyhting else. He just had this awsome bridge arm that would obstruct or otherwise **** up anythign I tried. Generally the sparing is pretty light but don't be fooled. Sometimes it takes a while for people to build up the trust to go a bit harder. In the wilder, more violent days of SF's Chinatown in the 70's . . .

I met one of Sifu's very first students when I went to Hong Kong. This guy has major scars all up and down both legs and arms from variuous armed confrontations. Apparently, Lum J

It could be easy to be fooled into thinking they can't fight because most of the students there are too nice and many train just for exercise and good fun. He presents an amazing pool of knowledge and resources to learn the real thing but no real pressure for you to do so.

The main curriculum is Hung Gar but he also teaches a bit of Pi Gua (Pek Kua) and has probably the best Taji skills I have seen in the states. I learned some Bagua from him as well but he generally doesn't teach that. I would avoid asking to learn anything in particualr form him outside of "Kung Fu". He's a 70+ year old badass and I highly reccomend seeing what his push hands are like on you.

It's mostly striking with a lot of sticky arm type stuff and other standing grappling. A fair number weapons forms and some really fantastice 2 man forms where you get to really work on your applications.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 10:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The other school that I think is an absolute must to visit is Chris Chan's WC school out in the Sunset somewhere. He is the only other gong fu guy in the City I think is in YC Wong's league.

The Gracie school I found in SF was outrageously expensive.

If you know where the low priced Chiropractice clinic is on Divisidero, just north of Haight St., see of Doc Andy is still running it. He trained under Chris and could get you an extra friendly reception there. Chris has a rep for being a real hardass and going in with a friend could be nice. Doc Andy could also hook you up with Hannibal, a really cool Rasta who teaches Choi Li Fut in the Park and I can guarantee he will give you all the sparring you want.

There's a ton of others but as far as stand up fighting goes, there's not really anyone I could reccomend outside of those guys. Not that everybody else sucks it's just that Chris Chan and YC Wong are so good and Hannibla is very unconventional but practical and amazingly fun to be around. He's someone who actually HAS sucessfully eye gouged someones eye right out of the socket once.

Have fun. Lot's of choices.

If you want to grapple, I'd say your first stop should be the Judo/Aikido instructor as SF State. I learned a tone from my couple semesters with him but more to the point, I think he could be an excellent resource if you wanted to find a good Judo school. If I rememebr correctly he trained originally in the Kodokan.
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 11:02pm

Style: Hung Ga Gung Fu + Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, thank you very much Omar! Your reply will really help me out alot. Once I get back to the Bay Area I will definetely look those guys up. Thanks for the advice I really appreciate it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 12:43am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know this is a huge necro, but by chance I happened to pass this place today and remembered reading a thread about it some time ago.

There is a sign on the door saying that the unit is for lease. I don't know whether it means that Sifu Wong is moving his studio or closing it down, and I didn't see any more information posted on the storefront. I searched a little online and found only old links and Yelp reviews of this place.

Anyone know anything more about this? There is a Facebook page for his school, but there haven't been any updates to it in months.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YCWongKungFuStudio.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	13069  

Last edited by Bahuyuddha; 3/22/2012 12:44am at . Reason: Adding link to Facebook page.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 8:05am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahuyuddha View Post
    I don't know whether it means that Sifu Wong is moving his studio or closing it down, and I didn't see any more information posted on the storefront. I searched a little online and found only old links and Yelp reviews of this place.
    I'd assume he's retired or died. Considering he started teaching in the late 60's, he's had a damn good run.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 8:22am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I'd assume he's retired or died. Considering he started teaching in the late 60's, he's had a damn good run.
    Sad to think about. Always heard he had "teh real". Best story I heard about him was a guy from my former association went by to pay his respects, and wong sifu said something like "ok, you fight him" and pointed to one of his students. the visitor was surprised and insisted he wasn't there for a fight, but for a friendly visit. wong sifu wasn't interested in a friendly visit and told him to fight or get out.

apparently there was drama over it and my sigung had to go there and talk to wong sifu, but i just love his attitude about the whole thing. shows where his priorities were (despite producing omar as a student.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 12:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked around, no one seems to know anything so far.
    I'll share anything I find out.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 12:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    Sad to think about. Always heard he had "teh real". Best story I heard about him was a guy from my former association went by to pay his respects, and wong sifu said something like "ok, you fight him" and pointed to one of his students. the visitor was surprised and insisted he wasn't there for a fight, but for a friendly visit. wong sifu wasn't interested in a friendly visit and told him to fight or get out.

apparently there was drama over it and my sigung had to go there and talk to wong sifu, but i just love his attitude about the whole thing. shows where his priorities were (despite producing omar as a student.)
    Yeah, but remember he went to china to go get "the real." That's more Omar's fault than Y.C's.

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe these vids are Omar
    Are you saying this is NOT the kind of thing people could have expected at YC Wong's?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast