Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 1:12am

Style: Shaolin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: My Shaolin-Do Experience

Antagony,

Thanks for giving an honest evaluation of how your feel about your time spent in Shaolin-Do. Your right, things do vary from school to school. Mostly you see it in the students from instructor to instructor. Not a surprise there.

There was a thread kinda similiar to this on KFO recently.
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...5&pagenumber=1

School Background
    The San Marcos school is headed by Sean O'brien, a 3rd degree black belt. From what I understand, this is the minimum requirement to run your own Shaolin-Do (SD) school.
    3rd degree isn't an requirement system wide to own a school. Joe Shaeffer might require it out of people that are under him however. That wouldn't be a surprise or anything out of question.

Material

Their belt ranking system is: white, yellow, blue, green, 1st & 2nd brown, 1st - 10th degrees of black.

Long forms: This is the wealth of Shaolin-Do. In my opinion, a lot of these are worthless. You'd think they could at least be "cool looking", but a lot of them didn't even have that going for them. This is actually one of my greater reasons for leaving SD. I saw some of the upper belts doing forms that I would be learning and thought, "Okay that's just goofy looking."

Application? I had difficulty finding much application in most of the forms, although Sean O'brien did try to explain some of the stuff to me. They also seem to do a bit of the old school figure-it-out-for-yourself type thing that most Bullshidoka seem to dislike.
    Actually, the brown belts go 3rd, 2nd, 1st. :)

At 3rd brown for open handed forms I'm getting cranes right now. Really enjoying them. However, I've seen them done "goofy" looking before as well. From any instructor I've seen here in Tenn, and from any upper rank(1st degree black+) student that likes crane, it doesn't look goofy.

As far as application goes, I pull and fight with application out of every long form I've been taught yellow through 3rd brown. Many applications of the forms here are taught, I've attended classes at three of the local schools. Any time forms are taught application is covered as well. Also the instructors are more than happy to have discussion on the subject outside of class time.

Training

Once you reach brown belt, you can do an optional "iron training" class (but I think the brochure calls it the "Warrior Training Program") once a week.
    ROFL, please tell me that "you think" isn't so. I hope to God Almighty it isn't true. That's just too funny. We don't have a separate iron body class here, it's just mixed in. It's also evaluated and applied from student to student fairly closely.

Seminars

This was a terrible environment to learn in. It was hard to see Sin The' because there were too many people. We pretty much had to wait for people to move so we could work through the form. There simply wasn't nearly enough room in the place to learn anything.

No one from our school learned and retained this form. Not even Sean O'brien. It was too complicated (read: "retarded") and it was too difficult to learn in that environment. A complete waste of that money.

The deal with the mats sucks. I wouldn't have been happy either. I've trained on carpet, hardwood and tile floors. Matting is definately your friend.

Crowded siminars are definately no fun. I've never taken a forms seminar from GM Sin The` first hand. I have however video taped him teaching for a friend before I was an SD student. The way it was taught I don't belive I would have had any problems learning the form(pick & play mantis I belive). He did alot of pressure point discussion during the seminar including the alphanumeric numbers of the strike points. All seemed to be explained clearly enough. To mentally retain all that he taught that day I would have wanted to have a video to reference.

Paying $75 dollars for a form and not retaining it, especially if you interested in it sucks. Not having your instructor retain it to help you reference it is worse.

Recently Master Mullins has been doing a two man set seminar here. It's a somewhat long form and he's done it over a period of time. The cost was $50. It's been a great learning environment because it was broken up and taught from session to session like a longer form would be taught during regular class. Application and the body mechanics involved with the form have been covered in great detail.

The DVD, I've not seen it, so I can't comment.

Again, I thank you for sharing your experience at the SD school in San Marcos. I don't really have time ATM to comment on the rest of this post. So I'm going to cut it short for now. Might post more tomorrow.

-Will
    Last edited by wdl; 6/04/2004 1:15am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 1:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Antagony
    Japanese karate gi.
    Gi vs traditional uniform(frog button top, not monk robes) have been a point of contention around SD lately. We wear the frog botton tops here and tie a sash at the hip. Sash and belt are used interchangably to refer to a persons rank color.

-Will

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 1:26am

Style: Donkey Punch Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Antagony
    12-year old with a black belt.
    She was 12-years old (approximately) and was easily the biggest wuss in the school. Any minor tap and she'd cry. A BLACK BELT. [/B]
    Yeah, but being San Marcos, I bet she was hott! ;)

Yuppie Scum

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 8:02am

supporting member
     Style: Mantis, WC, Escrima/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    White Ape/Gibbon Steals the Peach. Linear? The very first move is a dodge off line.:confused: They didn't do the two man sequence?

Pressure points? WTF? Are you talking about the arm bar/break in the second line? Or just preferred targets to strike or grab?

Karate gis? Melting babies? Hmmm.
    Kung fu is translated as "stand around and talk."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 9:33am

Style: The Jits & Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This definitely smells of Bullshido!!!! Come on man MELTING BABIES??? WTF? If you believe that sh*t, I got a real cheap plot of beachfront land for sale in Kenya you may be interested in!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Anthracis
    This definitely smells of Bullshido!!!! Come on man MELTING BABIES??? WTF? If you believe that sh*t, I got a real cheap plot of beachfront land for sale in Kenya you may be interested in!!!
    Right there on the Indian Ocean? Sounds like it might be a good deal to me. Terrorists to shoot at, palm trees, nice ocean breeze, I'd live like a king.

Typically, "cheap plot of beachfront land" is used to describe a landlocked region. Kenya isn't landlocked.

Yeah, melting babies... like I said I've not seen the DVD, I reserve comment. Some things you gotta take with a grain of salt.

-Will

Grandmaster of Ou-chi!

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 12:08pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Melting babies?! Maybe I could use that to melt my boss. KIA! Where do I sign up?

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 12:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, I have the old packet from SD sitting in my lap now. Here's a quote:

The Warrior Class
    This class is available at a small extra charge for those students who want to go the extra mile and train like a Shaolin monk of old. It will vary in its scope, as it focuses on both internal and external skills, strength, conditioning, kata application, etc... Iron Palm will be included for brown belt and above, but will remain optional. This class takes everything you do in regular class and delves into the deepest aspects of the material to move you toward warrior status! For details see your instructor.
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Glad to see that the SD folks are still monitoring this site solely to see what we say about them.
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast