Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 4:03pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

San Antonio Throwdown Results

Today's throwdown was pretty awesome. All in all we had me, Meat Shake, Antagony, Atagony's roommate, Angelic Warrior, and one of my friends. Sherekahn showed up for a little while near the end. We met at a restaurant nearby and waited for people to show up, and then went back to my apartment complex, where there's a large lawn area to throwdown on. Everyone had a great attitude about the whole thing, and it was all about fun.

Match 1: Me vs. Meat Shake (2 3-minute rounds)

Really good match, in my opinion. There wasn't much striking involved, because though I tried, Meat Shake was pretty good at evading or shutting me down. I closed to clinch once, but he broke the clinch and moved back to Free Movement phase. I went for clinch again, and went for a double leg, managing to get him down mostly just by driving really hard through him. Meat Shake was pretty good on the ground. He got me in a decent guillotine, that he released because as I was grabbing his shoulder in an attempt to escape, he though I was tapping. So we reset with me in his guard and continued. He managed to get a pretty solid shoulder lock. but I fought it off until the end of Round 1. Round 2 started, and we went to the ground quite a bit quicker this time. If I remember correctly, Meat Shake got me down but managed to get him in my guard. From there we rolled around, and I managed to catch him in an achilles lock for the tap.

Match 2: Meat Shake vs. Antagony (2 3-minute rounds):

This was another very good matchup. Meat Shake had a pretty clear advantage on his feet, and kept Antagony on the run mostly. Meat Shake also swept Antagony a few times, but only one or two them did they stay on the ground for. Once on the ground, Antagony did a really good job at playing defensively, keeping Meat Shake at bay and preventing any submissions. This one went to the end of timed rounds, and we had the spectators make a judge's decision. This time, the decision was split, 2 in favor of Meat Shake, 2 for Antagony.

At this point, Meat Shake had to leave, but he did stick around to watch this next fight.

Match 3: Angelic Warrior vs. Antagony (2 3-minute rounds):

This fight stayed almost entirely on the feet. It went back and forth a lot, with both fighters being pretty equal. Not a whole lot I can say about this one, really... punches were traded, kicks were traded, both fighters were on the offensive and defensive at points. This fight also went the distance, and Angelic Warrior ended up receiving the judges' vote.

Match 4: Me vs Angelic Warrior (2 3-minute rounds):

A bit of an unfair match up in my opinion, because in addition to me having a significant size advantage, everything that Angelic Warrior knows about grappling, she learned from me, so I know how she fights. On the feet, she didn't have a mouthpiece so we disallowed strikes to the head of any kind. On the feet, I punished her legs pretty badly, landing several hard leg kicks. I was able to move behind her pretty easily and take the fight to the ground. On the ground it was pretty interesting, because Angelic Warrior is really fiesty. She passed guard a few times, escaped several holds, and got mount on me more than once. I was able to reverse her each time, and stay in control of the ground fight, however, without too much difficulty. I tried a couple armbars, but she's wary of giving me arms, so I failed those. I finally got behind her and RNCed her for the tap.

Match 5: Me vs Antagony (2 3-Minute rounds)

This one also didn't stay on the feet for too long. I wasn't able to hit his legs as hard as I did Angelic Warrior's, because he moves around a lot. I closed the gap for a clinch, and due to a pretty decent size and strength advantage, I got him down. Antagony is really good at some basic natural defense on the ground, so his guard can be hard to pass, and he's hard to flip over. Honestly, I don't remember how this one ended, but I think I got him with another Achilles Lock.

Match 6: Me vs my friend Faustino.

I went pretty easy with him, because he's had no previous training, and I've been trying to show him some fighting basics. He has this bad habit of bending his knees away from an incoming leg kick, such that a hard one would sweep his feet out from under him. So I would feint several leg kicks at him, then throw a couple real ones, several of which he did a proper shin block to, banging up my shin pretty bad. I clinched him and sprawled my weight on the back of his neck and shoulders, but he managed to slip out of that and get behind me. He very nearly tapped me with a RNC. But I slipped out of that, and got him down again. It ended when he was in my guard, I got a leg over and went from a triangle choke. My triangle chokes suck, so I couldn't tap him with it, but I managed to get him to his back and transitioned into an easy armbar for the tap.

Match 7: Me vs Antagony (Boxing only)

Here Antagony and I just boxed a little bit. Neither of us have any significant boxing skills, so this was a pretty even trade off. Admittedly though, he got me with a pretty good shot to the solar plexus which knocked the wind out of me. We were just experimenting here, no winner or loser.

Match 8: Me vs Antagony's Roommate (2 3-minute rounds)

By this time Sherekahn had shown up, and we were already thinking of calling it a day, but Sherekahn mentioned he'd brought a camera, so we decided to go one more match to try to get some pics or vids.
    Pretty good match. Antagony's roommate has really solid legs, and I've still got several bad habits ingrained in me, so I kept kicking his leg with my instep, which hurt like a bitch. So I stopped kicking his legs pretty much. He was really good at staying out of the clinch, and one time as I was going to grab him, he spun out and tried to grab me, popping me in the nose by accident. It bled a little, but after a couple minutes, we resumed the match. (this is about as far as the vid clip we might have gotten went). After this it got really interesting. I kept chasing him for a clinch or takedown, and he kept avoiding me. He escaped one attempt by doing a forward roll away from me even. I was all over him and though I got his back when he rolled, but he slipped away somehow. Anyway, as he were closing in again, I decided to commit to a takedown instead of going to clinch first.. so I shot in and got him down. I fought him for a long time to get an armbar... and he almost got back to his feet, but I managed to tie him up in guard. I fought for the armbar again, but this time I managed to get him with an omoplata for the tap.

Overall, and excellent day, excellent matches, and a great attitude by everyone. It was a lot of fun for everyone, and I learned one thing above all else - I NEED TO TRAIN MY STRIKING A LOT BETTER.

We might have some pics and a short vid clip, but not altogether sure how that'll turn out.

Also, this is to the best of my recollection, so some of the details may be inaccurate, so I invite anyone else who was there to correct me and feel free to add details of their own.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Lightweight

Posted On:
    5/29/2004 4:22pm

supporting member
     Style: goju-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, you didn't notice I was there till Match 6? I caught the tail end of you and Angelic's match. As soon as I can find the cable to synch camera with laptop I will post some links.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    5/30/2004 1:02am

supporting member
     Style: Filthy Jailhouse Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TaeBo_Master, your recollection is very accurate, actually.

And as for my roommate's crazy forward roll, it's a real shame we didn't get it on film so that we could figure out how that hell that worked, hehe.
    MY NAME IS ANTAGONY I SUCK AT COMBAT SPORTS KTHX

"blahblahblah, but I don't think I'm going to train tonight."
    "Fag."
    "Well if that were true, then I'd really REALLY want to come train!"

Easily Duplicated

Posted On:
    6/04/2004 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Folk and Jazz fusion

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't Question the power of RUNNING AWAY

and my name is floonine.:D
    [MMA] arguments do not exist, after all, for people to believe in them, rather they serve as a common, agreed-upon excuse. Foolish people who take them in earnest sooner or later discover inconsistencies in them, begin to protest and finish finally and infamously as heretics.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/06/2004 2:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Goddammit, where's sherekahn?

"Fag."

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/06/2004 10:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    where's sherekahn
    Here. After destroying my office and most of the rest of my house, I have determined that from my post on the warriorquest.com site female ninja assassins were sent here to spirit away my synch cable.

I have since ordered a new one, which barring further ninja attacks should be here by Tuesday at the latest.

Sorry, for the delay, I have no idea where that stupid cable went to. I am stupid Antagony, you are smart. I am very ugly, you are exceedingly attractive...etc, etc.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 12:25am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hahaha, it's all good dude. No worries.

I JUST MISSED YOU SO MUCH I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF!

"Fag."

Lightweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 12:33am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha. I mentioned this to Tae_Bo, I think you guys just all want to stomp me at the next throwdown, I'm like a trophy now. First Tae_bo will own me, then you, then your friend who did those rolls, then Faustino, then whoever else shows up, and then lastly Angelic Warrior.

It will be a sad, sad day for me.

Slightly off topic, but not. I was talking to Tae_Bo about mats...cheapest I am finding is a 5x10 for 250. Apparently this is a bit small. Anyone know of a good place to get bigger/cheaper mats? I don't mean to sound cheap, but I do have to justify what I spend to the most bad ass of all, my wife...who would own us all with her deadly Nagging Style Wife-Fu.

Unemployed

Posted On:
    6/07/2004 8:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would post your question about mats in General Bullshido. You'll likely get some good responses there.

"Fag."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/08/2004 7:23pm

Style: SC, Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What happend to the pics and short video?

Also, what the **** happend to Hedge's shaolin-do fight video? Are we ever gonna see that ****?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast